Chat with the actual designers of the gear

VintageNut

Anyone ever thought of inviting comments from the actual engineers who designed the vintage gear we all like? Yeah I know, many are dead, retired, in Japan, etc, but with the worldwide members we have, you never know who might know who designed what and where they are now. It would be great to hear from the actual designers and have their opinions of different models.Just a thought. :thmbsp:

I'm pretty sure one could get some info from Winslow Burhoe, the genius behind the EPI 100s. He seems to be fairly active on some sites and has designed a new line of speakers and seeking to market them online. Somehow I emailed him a question a few years back and he replied quite promptly. He also inquired about ideas for marketing his speaker.

If we ever do an AKFest in the Boston area, I'd strongly suggest giving him a call

Last edited:
I believe Nelson Pass sometimes lurks at the diy forum.

As for to get a hold of the lads who designed the V-FET units, the NS-1000 or the Exclusive P-3... pretty slim chances I'm afraid :no: But it would be wonderful, yes - what those guys could tell!!

I also have corresponded with Winslow Burhoe. He has a forum on his website, and he posts frequently. Quite accessible

luvvinvinyl said:
I also have corresponded with Winslow Burhoe. He has a forum on his website, and he posts frequently. Quite accessible

Could you post the link to his website? Thanks!

It would be kinda like getting the design team of the 55 chevy together 50 yrs after the fact. Interesting to ponder. I think getting together the big guns of american audio ie. Mcintosh, Marantz, HH Scott, Fisher, et al. would be a hoot tho.

Those new speakers look a lot like the old EPI 201s, albeit with one set of smaller drivers (6 1/2" woofers vs. 8" in the 201s).

Funny I chat with the designer/engineer behind my amp about 3 or 4 times a week. In fact his number is on my cellphone and my speed dial. :) :)

Mike

I was really hoping Phil Clements would finish those new hybrid speakers he's had in the works, but it's not looking too promising right now. It seems that nobody else here has any of his products anyhow. (Which I find astounding.) All the same, he is also very accessible, and would probably love to contribute, particularly if he could get something new off the ground. (He also does most of his own peddling.)

It would be interesting to hear from some of those old Sansui guys, but from the looks of the repair manuals, English might not be one of their stronger languages.

Beer, beer, beer, dude...wassup with the beer? geez....hoarding the beer and the vintage equipment too. :lmao: .old beer aint no good....so let's share a new beer........and I'll drink to that :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Just gotta be careful not to spill the suds down the vents while working on that vintage gear! Now THAT would be a cryin' shame!! :cry:

FREE BEER FREE BEER
THAT'S MY FAVORITE BRAND
IF I DIDN'T HAVE TO BUY IT
ITS THE BEST BEER IN THE LAND
WARM FLAT FUNKY
IT DON'T MATTER TO ME
THE GREATEST BEER IN THIS WHOLE WORLD
IS THE ONE YOU BUY FOR ME

- Da Yoopers

I'd love to chat with the guy(s) responsible for designing the front panel of the Sansui G series receivers.Or....I should say, I'd like to know WHO is responsible.
The symetrical layout of the various knobs & switches, the 2 centered volume/tuning knob etc.
The design & appearance of these units is a work of pure genius. I honestly can't think of a better looking piece of electronic gear.

Russ

I like the G series too. Just a short time ago you could get a G-9000 for 350.00 in real nice shape, now, 650.00 to 950.00...ouch...They got that Buck Rogers looks...

Back
Top Bottom