Cheap clean power

liveoffroad

I'm fairly new to home audio but its growing fast to be a big hobby for me. My current system is: Kr-8010 powering HPM-100's and NS-690s. i'm wanting a bit more power than the 125wpc i have, but my budget does not allow for any of the "monster receivers" on the AK list. I'm considering going the integrated amp route since they seem to fly under the radar a bit more, so looking for advice on some older cheap yet clean amplifiers at 200wpc or above.
thanks

I'm fairly new to home audio but its growing fast to be a big hobby for me. My current system is: Kr-8010 powering HPM-100's and NS-690s. i'm wanting a bit more power than the 125wpc i have, but my budget does not allow for any of the "monster receivers" on the AK list. I'm considering going the integrated amp route since they seem to fly under the radar a bit more, so looking for advice on some older cheap yet clean amplifiers at 200wpc or above.
thanks
I don't think you'll find too many integrated amps that will provide that kind of power. I'd be looking at seperates, specifically a good preamp and a pro power amp. There are great bargains to be had with a pro power amp.

thanks
WOW! you do want some power :thumbsup:

I don't think you'll find too many integrated amps that will provide that kind of power. I'd be looking at seperates, specifically a good preamp and a pro power amp. There are great bargains to be had with a pro power amp.
any advice on separates to watch for?
thanks

To keep it in the "family" you can find some pretty cheap Kenwood KM series power amplifiers...
on this note, what is the consensus on the kenwood basic M2 and also the yamaha M-70, both have around 200 wpc and can be had for a few hundred bucks. are they worth considering or will there be a hit to sound quality over the pro stuff

so looking for advice on some older cheap yet clean amplifiers at 200wpc or above

I'm sure there are many fine separates out there that meet this criteria, but the one off the top of my head are the Kenwood M2 or M2A amp (both 220WPC) and C1 or C2 preamp. Fairly inexpensive for what you get with great power and sound. I've had a couple of them and they are fantastic units.

on this note, what is the consensus on the kenwood basic M2 and also the yamaha M-70, both have around 200 wpc and can be had for a few hundred bucks. are they worth considering or will there be a hit to sound quality over the pro stuff
I'd go for the M-70. The Kenwood M2/M2A use output transistors that are no longer available, although IIRC @tarior came up with a way to use off the shelf transistors to repair one.

The M-70 is a solid amp.

thanks

I have many receivers... my KR-8010 is a beast and can’t imagine needing more. Mine is fully recapped. Maybe your KR-8010 is tired?

FEBDEAD6-2B2F-42DD-ADCF-D63C64D60AA5.jpeg

8911B37E-F9FE-495D-839C-98381D159C15.jpeg

The M2 and M2A are excellent amps, and the M2A is a dual mono design (not sure about the M2). The matching C2 or earlier C1 are outstanding preamps. Steer clear of the KM series of amplifiers, they are basically BPC. I had one (KM105 or 106) and it pretty much sucked. The Harman Kardon Citation 22 is another excellent amp that flies under the radar and isn't too much more expensive than the Kenwood M series amps.

My favorite amp is a Sansui integrated that I found at reasonable price (needed repair but it was simple enough that I could do it): AU-G99X, 160 wpc.

Is the most reasonable of the top-tier Sansui, prob because they went cheap on the case & controls at that point....

Pony up 25 bucks for an AK subscription where among other benefits you will gain access to buy/sell/trade in Bartertown where there is currently more than one seller offering cheap clean power in the form of pro amps.

Always good advice. It pays for itself with the first purchase.

Another vote for Bartertown. Lots of great gear at excellent prices and more likely to be in great shape.

I'd go for the M-70. The Kenwood M2/M2A use output transistors that are no longer available, although IIRC @tarior came up with a way to use off the shelf transistors to repair one.

The M-70 is a solid amp.
It was a KA-1100SD that I repaired. Uses outputs much like the ones in the M2 series. One of these days I'll have enough to time to finish the thing and play with it.

Well an update for anyone interested, i ended up finding a reasonably priced M2 on the auction site and i am very pleased! i'm using my piece-of-junk garage receiver as a pre-amp temporarily, but even with that it is an extremely clean sounding and VERY powerful amp. I'm on the hunt for a C1 pre-amp now (cheaper than a C2 and has all the functionality i need) to go with it. thanks everyone for your input on this.
[Mod Edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well an update for anyone interested, i ended up finding a reasonably priced M2 on the auction site and i am very pleased! i'm using my piece-of-junk garage receiver as a pre-amp temporarily, but even with that it is an extremely clean sounding and VERY powerful amp. I'm on the hunt for a C1 pre-amp now (cheaper than a C2 and has all the functionality i need) to go with it. thanks everyone for your input on this.
P.S if anyone has a C1 they are willing to part with, let me know!

Can't help you with the C1, but I'd recommend not advertising for equipment without a subscriber membership (the Mods don't like that).

Back
Top Bottom