Cheap Component Tester

Its hard to fault them at the price point but the leads and the mini clip grabbers are pretty flimsy

After using the "no case, no probes" unit for some years, I know it's not ideal, I prefer a unit in a case, but do you know the difference between all those models and the different chips?

I'm considering a DIY kit, perhaps I can get a more expensive unit for less. I can solder a couple of resistors and transistors. But I don't know if a "$40" tester is better than a "$10" one.

Its hard to fault them at the price point but the leads and the mini clip grabbers are pretty flimsy
I'll say. I've already had to resolder the wires onto 2 of the 3 mini grabber heads; the third can't be far behind. But I do like having this thing around.

Just discovered this series of videos doing a shootout of the modern, available component testers. Includes a link to a 3D part you can print that gives you a case for the open-frame no-case testers.

That YouTube channel also has a video showing off the PC-based capabilities of the DCA75

Finally bough this 2 from the same vendor, let's see .. One with a square wave generator and freq counter, the other similar to my old one, just in case, I know that one works OK. I think the large one is a DIY Kit. $23 for both units shipped. (NO AFFILIATION)
Without case... I've chosen an extra unit instead of the case. I'll DIY some case and probes down here.

s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I find it useful too if I'm subbing a transistor with a replacement with a different pin out. I test original, then replacement. It help me keep elements straight ( nearly foolproof)

I find it useful too if I'm subbing a transistor with a replacement with a different pin out. I test original, then replacement. It help me keep elements straight ( nearly foolproof)

Exactly!

The cheap testers work well for showing the current values for resistors, capacitors, diodes and transistors. They are plenty accurate for repairing stereos.

That being said, I use a higher quality digital multimeter to measure voltage and current, so when I need to measure resistance I use that same higher quality DMM instead of the cheap component tester.

When I need to identify a semiconductor like a diode or transistor, especially if I'm matching transistors, I will use my Atlas Peak DCA75 instead of the cheap component tester. They seem to do a similar job, but I trust the DCA more. I relied on the cheap component tester for doing these jobs for a long while until cash was available for the upgrade.

What I don't have is an ESR meter and I think that's ok for me. I I initially thought I should get one but I stalled the purchase decision long enough to realize I don't really need it. If there is an existing electrolytic cap in a unit I'm working on, I'm going to replace it no matter what the ESR is.

Sorry , the cheap tester. I'm not knocking it but wouldn't use it to see if caps were in spec. (at least mine isn't accurate)

Back
Top Bottom