Cheap computer source for Spotify/do I want a Mac Mini?

Smallies

My 10" Acer Aspire has been a great victory but I need to roll the dice because it's Google Chrome browser won't get 320 kbps on Spotify. So I need something cheap but not a chromebook.

Was your Acer hooked directly into your stereo? If so, you could replace it with a $35 Chromecast Audio and control it with your phone.

A used Mac Mini with a Core2Duo should be able to handle it and should be dirt cheap - like under $100 cheap.

So Macbook would not play cd's, dvd only. Got the Radio Shack mini tools got it apart to clean the laser and it worked. If you have this problem don't be afraid to try the cloth over credit card in the left slot cleaning attempt because taking it apart is lota more work. I think I'm creating my second Flac file ever on XLD, maybe.

2007 polycarbonate Macbook here. I have since retired it but you can find them pretty cheap. Intel Core 2 Duo. The battery's are shit (which is why I replaced mine with something newer) but if running plugged in you can download the Spotify app with either OSX Snow Leopard or Lion.

I run mine through a Dell E6400 in a dock. I just snap it in and out when I want to travel.
It's the only way to go, zero cable hassle and a full charge always.

Yes I finally got my damn 320. Now I'm trying to rip my cd's to FLAC which I think will require downloading 3 programs. Nightmare so far.

Was your Acer hooked directly into your stereo? If so, you could replace it with a $35 Chromecast Audio and control it with your phone.

Who can afford all these phones when there's gear to buy.

The Chromcast Audio would plug directly into your amp and stream music from your laptop with a Chrome browser extension. That's what I use to stream from my Chrombook and the wife's Acer. A lot cheaper than buying another used computer.

The chromecast audio also has the ability to give you optical toslink output to a nice dac of your choice with the addition of a fairly cheap adapter cable. Just wanted to share that info.

Operation has changed venues, now living in car errrr Camping in car! Pure sine wave power inverter (the Cobra modified sine wave has added noise and questionable power quality) in da mail. Got a headache trying to figure the best new replacement battery for my 2009 macbook pro. Got a Pioneer car stereo for $47 shipped and of course improves on the ghastly 6 cd changer in my Rav4. I love the remote that you can mute the output to save on battery when I'm screwing around away from the car. It has a mini jack input on the face. I'm about to test my hotspot for alleged ability to play lotsa youtube fingers crossed. So I'd benefit from a good new battery if anyone knows. Got a 100watt solar panel but working out the kinks of having too much power or not enough.

I gave up the ghost on my 2009 white MacBook. Just too slow to do anything. I was going to replace HD and RAM, then just bit the bullet and bought a Mac Mini for myself for X-mas. Purchased a cheap monitor and refurbished BT keyboard. Then went the extra step of downloading Audirvana. The difference in sound was stunning! Maybe one of the best upgrades I ever made.

Back
Top Bottom