Cheap WIFI Streamer That is Not a ChromeCast

Cap1

Does anyone know of a cheap WIFI streamer? The ChromeCast did not play well with my router. After 3 hours on the phone with the ChromeCast tech we both gave up.

Thanks.

A Raspberry Pi.

What are you streaming? Paid for content like Spotify, your own files or both?

What kind of router do you have? The CCA's are pretty much plug-n-play. I'd be concerned another device may have similar issues.

It is an ATT router that is used with their fiber service. I have never had any problems connecting anything else to the router other than the Chromecast including and Oppo streamer. Streaming would be Tidal and Napster no local files.

Have an unused smartphone or tablet laying around? Other than the CCA I'm not familiar with the available devices that will stream both Tidal and Napster. Sorry I can't be of more help. Hopefully others will chime in.

I've always had better luck buying my own modem and router (and make sure they are two separate pieces of gear) then anything any cable/dsl company fousts on me, expecting me to pay them montly either as an installment payment or just lease.

YMMV, but I suspect the problem is your modem/router.

What exactly is wrong with your CCA?
Mine used to be finicky when using Tidal but it's been so well behaved for so long I forgot the circumstances that would mess it up.
Might have been me moving the phone out of range or me changing songs or albums too rapidly, maybe something about how the CCA loads your choices into its buffer, I'm not sure. This is not an unknown issue, research further and you'll solve.
I'm using a 2 band Neatgear Nighthawk router which supports an App "Netgear Genie". The Genie has a WIFI Analytic App that tells me anything I need to know, which makes it easier to figure things out.
The router is loaded with features like QOS (Quality of Service) so I can dedicate an uncluttered channel to prefer a device such as CCA.

Back to your original question...I also have a Sonos. The Sonos is connected to my DAC via coax, the CCA is connected to the same DAC via optical. I have A/B compared the Sonos vs CCA and prefer the CCA. The Sonos costs like 10X more than the CCA making the CCA the better alternative.

Step back, take a deep breath and give the CCA another whirl. If others can do it, so can you.

Back
Top Bottom