Check Out The NPR Top 50 Albums Of 2018

I like a variety of genres and I checked out the entire list and listened to a lot of cuts from the list. NPR is just trying to fill all the notches to conform to what they think is a global political correct list to satisfy everyone with at least one LP per group.

I like a variety of genres and I checked out the entire list and listened to a lot of cuts from the list. NPR is just trying to fill all the notches to conform to what they think is a global political correct list to satisfy everyone with at least one LP per group.

Wow, I wouldn't want that job, ha ha!

Boss: "Okay, listen, Elliott, if you could just come up with a music list that, you know, fills all the notches to, you know, conform to what NPR thinks is a global political correct list to satisfy everyone with at least one LP per group... well, yeah, that would be great. Oh, yeah, and if you could do that before you go home, that'd be great. Yeah, thanks."

Wow, I wouldn't want that job, ha ha!

Boss: "Okay, listen, Elliott, if you could just come up with a music list that, you know, fills all the notches to, you know, conform to what NPR thinks is a global political correct list to satisfy everyone with at least one LP per group... well, yeah, that would be great. Oh, yeah, and if you could do that before you go home, that'd be great. Yeah, thanks."

Yeah it does seem that those that try to please everyone don't usually please anyone.

It wasn't to many years ago that NPR programming was mainly classical music, seems that has change a bit.

Yeah it does seem that those that try to please everyone don't usually please anyone.

I don't know. I'm pleased with it. It's not too surprising, ie, pretty much follows the likes and trends noted in other music venues, but it's kind of interesting. As I said, it's prompted me to look into some things I might have missed.

It wasn't to many years ago that NPR programming was mainly classical music, seems that has change a bit.

Maybe the NPR station you were listening to. They all play different music, you know. NPR isn't one station coast to coast. Their member stations were also the ones voting on what got on the list - it wasn't one person dictating the thing. And since when is a "50 best" supposed to please everyone? They're mostly "here's 50 albums that'll generate discussion and you can pick the ones you'd actually like to listen to again.

Anywho - there were several albums on here I've heard throughout the year and liked. If you like Price, you'll probably like Janelle Monáe. If you like Neko Case, you'll probably like Courtney Barnett. If you like jazz at all, Makaya McCraven is definitely something you might want to check out. I bought that on vinyl like two weeks ago and am still waiting for it to arrive.

I hadn't heard the Kamsai Washington before, but damn I want to hear more now.

I am going to check out more of them, as quite a number of albums I really liked in the past were ones that I first heard on NPR. I know the three or four classical ones on the list I would enjoy.

I just purchased two LPs on the list: Kacey Musgraves' Golden Hour and Kali Ucish's Isolation. They deserve to be on a list like this, for sure. Great music.

I generally get new music ideas from FB friends, dozens of them jazz artists in NYC and LA. I have zero interest in rock, which most of these lists are very heavily populated with. Scott Yanow just published his annual list on FB, which aligns nicely with my tastes.

Back
Top Bottom