Check-out this blonde beauty

Looks like someone made a custom oak cabinet for their 7070. Pretty snazzy, though IMHO it could stand a bit of a darker stain.

TP

I can tell you exactly how they got the blond case.
In fact, I was just about to do this with my 8080DB.
The Sansui's came with the dreaded Vinyl wood grain on the case. Basicly, a sticker. All of you Sansui fans I am sure have a unit or two with a peeling corner. I just picked up an 8080DB in excellent condition with the exception of the case. Somebody had peeled off the top portion of the woodgrain vinyl, leaving only the tan colored backing in place. I had kicked around the idea of buying some new vinyl to replace it. The other day while I was working on re-finishing a Marantz cabinet, I decided to see what was under the tan backing on the Sansui. WOOD! Not a thin layer of wood veneer, but wood. I decided to peel all the vinyl off. I then hit a small section with sandpaper and since I already had the can of Deft spray out, I just hit the sanded section to see what it would look like. It looks exactly like the one in the picture.
I will be sanding the entire unit this weekend and refinishing it, but I think I will use stain to darken it up a bit.
It won't be original, but I consider it an upgrade to the sticker...I mean simulated woodgrain Vinyl.

Well bookasan you got my wandering mind wanting to know, So against my hesitent desire, I checked it out. I wish that your response were true to my unit, although under careful "surgery", I found that what I thought was a quite unique 7070, is actually a crappy, unethical, shelf paper cover-up!!!!!!!!!!!

:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

As I have been the owner for many years, as in 21 or 22, the prior short life of this unit before me must of been hard or the owner simply did'nt like the original "flavor".

Any how at the first available time this unit is going to get the service you just mentioned as this cheap cover just wont do. People that cannot repair or convert something in a proper manner should be :uzi:

Thats shelf paper? It sure looked like real wood to me.

Sanding the case and refinishing it is just the way I prefer to do it. I kinda do the whole refinishing thing as a hobby, and IMO I think it would look better than the original. If you are a Sansui Purist, and judging from your name I think you might be, you may want to bring it back to original. You can buy the woodgrain Vinyl in many finishes. I know Parts Express has it, but only in 3 colors. Sansui did use the Vinyl, which is alot like shelf paper only better quality and sticks much better. Is it possible yours is original in a different finish, or are you sure it is just shelf paper?

Actualy, now that I look back and carefuly re-read your post, I noticed you said you have had it for over 20 years. If you have lived with that unit for over 20 years, you obviously have a close bond with it. You may just want to leave it alone. Blondes aren't that bad to live with anyway! It may be a little dingy at times, but it sure is pretty!.

Thank-you bookasan, Yes this 7070 was the first "QAULITY" receiver I bought and at the time matched my Blonde 901's perfectly. I said shelf paper but I did a second take and found out that it is thicker than shelf paper????????????????? I will probably leave it this way, Heck whatever it is, it is still holding up pretty good.

They make veneers in incredibly thin layers, and have for years now. That could be a true wood veneer. Done right you can hardly tell the difference between veneered finishes and real wood. I did my lower kitchen cabinets and you cannot tell without a mirror under the bottom edge.

Sorry Jay, I should have been more specific. I was takling about the blond unit. Yours looks pretty good in the pics.

This is an 8080 that I refinished in a textured black finish.

Removed the vinyl, sanded it, then repainted.

After doing the lights, cleaning the controls, and fixing a few things, it ended up being a nice unit.

Got an offer I couldn't refuse and let her go !

receiver finishes

I'm merely one guy, but I think the textured black finish looks very snazzy!

Back
Top Bottom