chicks' Goodwill Systems

A couple more Pioneers:

100_3105.JPG

100_3357.JPG

100_3573.JPG

I've been wanting to try the 750 for some time now... I had to be honest recently and admit that (to my ears) the 780 just didn't compare to it's looks - again for my ears - after fixing up 3 or 4 of them.

I like the 535 quite a bit ... how does the 750 compare?

I like the 535 quite a bit ... how does the 750 compare?

Didn't have either of them long enough to remember. Relamp, Deoxit, clean, put 'em on CL, to pay for the good stuff.

I will say that I'm a stickler for ergonomics, though, and so many receivers simply got it wrong! The volume knob should be at least as large as the tuning knob. The less-used knobs and switches should be smaller and arranged in groups. Probably the worst in that regard was the 'sui 9090, which I really did not like.

Here are my keepers; ergonomics done right!

1350763228335.jpg

1350963020083.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with Chicks about the ergonomics. My Pioneer sx 650 has the volume next to the balance and are similar size. I have gotten in trouble when I thought I was turning the balance way right when in fact I was cranking the volume. It was quite an audible jolt feeding a lot of power into a pair of hi efficiency JBL D130s.

And I don't like the on/off combined with the speaker selector either.

My Pioneer sx 780 has a much better layout IMHO. Toggle on/off, small balance knob next to volume and push button speaker selection

Attachments

• pioneer 005.jpg
    pioneer 005.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 71
  • pioneer 007.jpg
    pioneer 007.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 60
  • pioneer 011.jpg
    pioneer 011.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 59
  • pioneer 013.jpg
    pioneer 013.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Haven't posted in this thread for more than a year! Haven't really been chasing any gear for a long time, and the GWs around here are putting all the good stuff on their auction web site now.

I stumbled over this Dual 701 while walking the dog last weekend, at a garage sale. Just getting around to listening, via the Sony STR-6055 and AR-91s. Keeper? Could be. Nice deck.

IMG_20141011_162904.jpg

IMG_20141004_151703.jpg

IMG_20141004_151747.jpg

Chicks, I may have asked this before, but what camera are you using?

An inexpensive refurbished Olympus EP2, usually with the Pan/Leica Summilux 25/1.4 or the Oly 45/1.8. Never with flash, almost always stopped down to f11 or so, on a tripod.

The Dual 701 close ups, obviously, were shot wide open, handheld. Image stabilization helps.

So are you not finding the good stuff much anymore, chicks, or have you stopped hunting as much?

How did the Quads work out for you?

So are you not finding the good stuff much anymore, chicks, or have you stopped hunting as much?

How did the Quads work out for you?

Only hunt for LPs these days, unless I stumble over something, like the Dual 701.

The QUADs are the end game for me, can't imagine better speakers for a vocal jazz/pop fan. Still driven by Sonos, with a huge library of music from Deezer or Google Music to choose from. Still enjoy spinnin' records, as well, via the Sony PS-X65 and now the Dual. Life's good. ;)

Only hunt for LPs these days, unless I stumble over something, like the Dual 701.

The QUADs are the end game for me, can't imagine better speakers for a vocal jazz/pop fan. Still driven by Sonos, with a huge library of music from Deezer or Google Music to choose from. Still enjoy spinnin' records, as well, via the Sony PS-X65 and now the Dual. Life's good. ;)

Great to hear, man. Still, using that Sonus over that beautiful Kenny seems wrong somehow, but I can understand it. We like what we like.

I had the same epiphany as yours concerning the Quads a month back. I lucked up on some Vandersteen 2c's that needed no refoam, no nothing, just a little trimming up on the nitted socks and a little wood oiling.

After a week or so with these speakers, everything else I had was on the injured/reserve list. Have since let go of some of what will eventually be a helluva purging.

Keep rocking, Chicks! :thmbsp:

Most GWs around here now pull all the good stuff for their online auction site. There's still one, though, that I rarely get to... Right time, right place, scored this nearly flawless Marantz 2235b. Inside and out, looked like it must have sat unused in a box most of its life.

One fuse lamp burnt out, replaced them all yesterday. AK member BigVoyevoda enabled the wood case, which really is essential; the vinyl-clad metal just doesn't do this justice. Couple of sticky buttons were easily remedied with a contact cleaner/lube. Beautiful unit; it's displacing the Sony STR-6055 on looks alone.

IMG_20141109_083727.jpg

IMG_20141109_084054.jpg

IMG_20141109_084358.jpg

back to the Dual --

keep it; they are built like tanks; re-write your will and decide which grand-kid will get it.

:D

Oh yeah... [emoji7]
This is what I grew up with.. [emoji122] Looks very nice.. [emoji6]

back to the Dual --

keep it; they are built like tanks; re-write your will and decide which grand-kid will get it.

:D

It's just off screen, to the right of the Marantz. Its vinyl-clad base just doesn't work for me... :scratch2:

always look forward to opening up your thread to see your latest aquisition. These old Marantz recievers sure bring back memories. BITD it was easy to make a decision on what reciever to buy...Marantz and it seemed like 7 out of 10 stereos had a Marantz reciever.

Very nice Chicks to fine such a minty unit like your Marantz at GW. I've found a few OK items in the past but nothing as nice, or high caliber as your Marantz and other finds you have posted here. NC must not be the local for great GW finds and the stores are quite bare these days...but I'm still hoping. Funny, but over the years I've probably spent enough in gas to buy what I really want on ebay.

Back
Top Bottom