chicks' Goodwill Systems

Congratulations again Chicks on so many great finds! I never fail to be inspired by this thread when I check in on it from time to time.

90% of my setup (including my listening chair) has come directly or indirectly via thrift stores and Craigslist. You just never know what is out there. The local Salvation Army stores have 50% off on Electronics on Black Friday. First year in a long time I didn't walk out the door with something.

The little Nikko is right at home in formal settings, lol.

IMG_20171125_130200.jpg
Mr. Chicks....you have some of the coolest stuff!! I love seeing your posts!

Is it even possible to have too many knobs & buttons, or too much silver in a vintage system? ;)

Found this Akai, in great cosmetic condition, at the GW yesterday. The same GW that has had nothing but BPC for a couple of years now. Ya never know. Been pricing those 10.5" metal reels. Yikes!

IMG_20180710_114009.jpg

My Big Ten Inch

I plan to play with it often! No sign of the transistor issues I keep reading about, dead quiet. All the audio transistors on the bottom board are the standard rounded TO-92s, not the flat ones, and no sign of blackened leads. Fingers crossed...

IMG_20180713_153339.jpg

Brought out this beauty. Thunking a bit, amazingly fleabay has replacement rubber tires for the idler, may need to order one. A little lube, a little rubber, this thing will last forever.

IMG_20180505_110413.jpg

I agree with you there. I have a 10H also and after a little cleaning and lubing it's running like a top. I don't know how you feel, but my 10H is becoming my favorite table, sounds and looks great.

My Big Ten Inch

I plan to play with it often! No sign of the transistor issues I keep reading about, dead quiet. All the audio transistors on the bottom board are the standard rounded TO-92s, not the flat ones, and no sign of blackened leads. Fingers crossed...

Mine has worked fine too with no signs of trouble with the TOs. Only issue was to clean some of the switches and pads.

Grabbed this at the GW the other day, just because I like the way it looks. Nothin' special, obviously, but drives the little Norman speakers just fine. Always liked this sort of knobs, like the old Fisher and HH Scott units, with the bright caps. I think there is probably another lamp on the left side of the dial, will open it up and replace, if so.

Love cleaning up these things, it was pretty grubby. Very relaxing. No idea what to do with it when I'm done playing. Probably give it to a good charity, like ACS.

Looks like it was up on ShopGoodwill.com, probably didn't get picked up, then wound up in one of their retail stores. The missing lettering is exactly the same, so assume it's the same unit.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/61566027

P2023027.jpg

Grabbed this at the GW the other day, just because I like the way it looks. Nothin' special, obviously, but drives the little Norman speakers just fine. Always liked this sort of knobs, like the old Fisher and HH Scott units, with the bright caps. I think there is probably another lamp on the left side of the dial, will open it up and replace, if so.

Love cleaning up these things, it was pretty grubby. Very relaxing. No idea what to do with it when I'm done playing. Probably give it to a good charity, like ACS.

Looks like it was up on ShopGoodwill.com, probably didn't get picked up, then wound up in one of their retail stores. The missing lettering is exactly the same, so assume it's the same unit.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/61566027

P2023027.jpg
What Norman's are you running?

Back
Top Bottom