Child Record player options

All of the Pfanstiehl 911 series styli are compatible with the Astatic 89T.

Pfanstiehl 911 series is not just a stylus. Cartridge and stylus on these is one unit, when it wears out, you replace this with another complete cartridge. Big issue with the 89T as far as substituting other options, it's 3 volts, most ceramics are 1/2-1 volt output, so make up gain is needed to get reasonable volume out of one.

If you can find one in good condition, and wanted a school player, getting one of the higher end Califone models with the larger speaker in the lid, is a better sounding, more powerful option with a better amplifier, and they have a better, less brutal to records ceramic cartridge, with a more compliant, separately replaceable stylus. These upper end Califones are much better phonos, and sometimes buyable for not much more money. Also, the Voice Of Music school phonos are very nice. They tend to sound better, even the cheapest model with the 89T (the only one which uses it). And the nicer ones with the single play, manual version of the VM changer mechanism are very nice suitcase players, and you could even hunt down a VM changer to install in one of the same size as the fitted one if you liked.

Last edited:
Assuming you're planning to get separate amplification and speakers, get a fully automatic P-mount turntable, preferably a Technics, something like an SL-B30 belt drive or SL-D30 direct drive.

They don't do 78 RPM, he wants that speed. And that speed is not a T4p mount application either. He needs a tonearm which can be tracked at 78 RPM friendly tracking forces of 3-5 grams if needed. Eliminates Technics T4p mount automatics for him. Now a modified servo semi automatic DD like a SL-D2 or SL-D3 with 78 RPM added, and the SL-1200 type headshells which accept screw on weights, would work well for his needs.

Pfanstiehl 911 series is not just a stylus. Cartridge and stylus on these is one unit, when it wears out, you replace this with another complete cartridge.
That is true. It was designed for schools, to make replacing a faulty cartridge as easy as replacing the stylus, with no need to take the phonograph out of service and have a technician repair it.

Big issue with the 89T as far as substituting other options, it's 3 volts, most ceramics are 1/2-1 volt output, so make up gain is needed to get reasonable volume out of one.
The output voltage varies depending on exactly which version you have, but the 89T's output is not 3 volts -- it's somewhere around 1.3 volts. Thus you can retrofit a Pfanstiehl P228 cartridge, which has 0.8 volt output, without too much of a loss of volume.

And you're right, the 81T is the higher output, closer to 3 volt output. But still if you go to the nicer Califones, you still get better sound, and more power. Avoid the DC motor models, those are much more prone to trouble. The AC motored, General Industries mechanism gives fewer issues.

Now my 2 year old is beginning to really show an interest in the TT. I even managed to teach him the right way to hold a record !
He's found a "chocolate train" record which he keeps wanting to play over and over again, and I am ok with something a bit low rent.
A lot of the changers run ac synchronous motors which are locked to the 60hz frequency in north america, and wouldnt work in india where we use 50hz (and I couldnt find replacement pulleys for the BSR's)
I was looking for a cheaper 3 speed entry level - started with the teac tn100 before realizing that the mechanism is the same as a lot of low rent crosleys, before finding that there are some ions in the 30$ range shipped which seem to look ok. They come with an MM cart ( looks like an ST 09D) which has a 78rpm needle, and I wouldnt mind if it got trashed by my son, or if it trashed any of the records (they are in bad shape to begin with!)

I know they are crap - as long as they play music, they should be fine hopefully

I was looking for a cheaper 3 speed entry level - started with the teac tn100 before realizing that the mechanism is the same as a lot of low rent crosleys, before finding that there are some ions in the 30$ range shipped which seem to look ok. They come with an MM cart ( looks like an ST 09D) which has a 78rpm needle, and I wouldnt mind if it got trashed by my son, or if it trashed any of the records (they are in bad shape to begin with!)
The TEAC TN-100 isn't bad, but isn't any better than the ION Profile series turntables which also use the MG-09D magnetic cartridge.

Back
Top Bottom