Children of Men

I went and saw this movie last weekend. Sci-Fi in future England. There is one scene the main character is gazing out the window from a hi-rise building. It's Pink Floyd's album cover Animals. It also had one of the most realistic and intense shoot em up scenes.

Pull my finger...

thought it was really a great film. i also caught the Animals reference. yeah, c'mon dude, pull me fingah...!

Great flick...how about that 7 minute (!) single take shot in the coffee shop... and the Pink Floyd cover building really makes me wonder what was up with British architecture...could a civic structure BE more foreboding!

Always wondered what that "ruined industrial site" in Full Metal Jacket was, too...I know it was in the UK somewhere...

redcoates7 said:
They tore it down??

The building is still there, but it's probably been converted into an apartment complex/art gallery. It happens a lot with old industrial buildings in the UK.
No bad thing I guess, it's recycling on a grand scale.

Sandy G said:
Always wondered what that "ruined industrial site" in Full Metal Jacket was, too...I know it was in the UK somewhere...

That would be The Isle Of Dogs in South London. If you look at the palm trees in the movie they are nearly all dead or dying. They were imported for the film and the Great British weather finished them off.

Oh, yeah, Isle of Dogs...Wasn't that later part of the Canary Wharf fiasco? IIRC, some over-zealous developers were trying to turn that end of London into a British version of Manhattan..

You are correct sir, although I think fiasco is too light a word for the whole sorry mess. Manhattan indeed, lawls.

Gordy Smiff said:
The building on the cover of the Pink Floyd Animals album is, sorry, was, Battersea power station.:thmbsp:

I remember Battersea power station very, very well. We used to burn bags of classified information and documents there (early 1970s).

Doc

SPOILER WARNING -

That scene where the crazy british people come running out of the woods and try to kill everyone in the car was done in one very long continuous take. Great camera work...

The long shootout scene in the refugee camp reminds me of some areas of Atlanta, like Bankhead...

:smoke: strawberry cough?

Just got the email notification from Netflix that this movie will be here tomorrow. I missed it at the movie theater but it will be showing at the Duffinator HT tomorrow evening. I've heard lots of good things about this movie and I can't wait until tomorrow evening. All are welcome to stop by!

Dr. Strangelove said:
I remember Battersea power station very, very well. We used to burn bags of classified information and documents there (early 1970s).

Doc

You too?

Back
Top Bottom