Chilli recipes needed. Thanks

You can do this in a skillet or a slow cooker.

Ingredients:

4 lbs meat (your preference, I use beef)
Beans (your preference)
1 large onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
2 16 oz cans stewed tomatoes (or 2 lbs diced tomatoes)
3 sweet peppers (chopped)
3 jalapenos (chopped)
beef stock (I use powdered)
1 tsp ground oregano
1 tsp cumin
3 tbs chilli powder
paprika
cayenne
(any other spices that blow your socks off)

Top with cheese & green onions.
Add cornbread or crackers (if you like)
.....I believe this is the one I'd try, and I DON'T want a chili that's liquid fire chemically....anybody can dump tons of ground cayenne and chop up habeneros into a chili, but if the first bite sets my lips and tongue to stinging intensly, there'll be no second bite....some think it's a He-Man thing, I don't.....

Made a different variation this past weekend that was very good:

2 lbs hamburger
1 onion
2 cans Miller Lite Chelada (someone left the awful shit in my fridge)
1 can black beans spiced with cumin and lime
1 can chili hot beans
2 cans diced tomatoes with chiles
cumin
chili powder
dried cilantro
garlic salt
1 heaping soup spoon of hot cocoa mix

Brown the burger and onions in a half can of the beer. Add spices to taste.

Dump the cans of everything else in a pot with the rest of the beer. Season to taste.
When burger is browned, dump contents of pan into the pot with the rest of the stuff. Simmer and stir. Then add the heaping spoon of hot cocoa mix and stir in.

Serve with grated sharp cheddar, hot sauce and sour cream.

Really, the cocoa mix works. It smooths everything all out and makes it instantly 'bind'.

2 pounds of ground beef
2 cans of Bush's mild chili beans
2 cans of red chilis and green peppers
3 Beef Bouillon cubes
2 pkts of McCormick Chili Seasoning Mix
5 oz Ortega Taco Sauce
46 oz Can of Campbell's Tomato Juice

Brown ground beef covered in water and drain (removes grease from burger)
Mix all ingredients in stock pot (except tomato juice) on medium heat.
Add tomato juice in until desired consistency.
Cook on medium heat for two hours.

I add tomato juice in last to make the chili thicker for chili cheese fries, chili dogs, ect and add the entire 46 oz can for chili soup.

Last edited:
This one looks good:

Seven-chile chili
Ingredients:
6 anchos
2 pasilla
2 costeñas
2 guajillos
4 chiles de arbol
2 chipotles in adobo
4 pieces of bacon
4 pounds of chuck roast, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
1 large onion diced
6 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 cup of coffee
1 bottle of beer
2 cups of water
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp clove
1/2 tsp allspice
1 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 tablespoon cumin
(For all spices, please feel free to add more to taste throughout cooking if you like.)
Salt to taste
1/4 cup masa harina
1/3 Mexican hot chocolate tablet, grated​

Method:
Heat the dried chiles (anchos, pasillas, costenos, guajillos and chiles de arbol) in a dry, cast-iron skillet on medium for a couple of minutes on each side. Turn off the heat and then add enough water to the skillet to cover the chiles, and let them soak for half an hour.

Meanwhile, in a large heavy pot, such as a Dutch oven, fry up your bacon. When done, remove from pan and crumble (Don’t worry if you opt to eat a slice—you deserve it!) and leave the bacon grease in the pot (it should be about 3) tablespoons. In the pot, cook your beef in the bacon grease on medium heat, a few minutes on each side until lightly browned. You will probably have to cook these in two batches.

Remove the browned beef from the pot, and add your onions. Cook on medium until clear. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Put the beef back in the pot, and mix in the coffee, the beer, two cups of water and the dry spices. Turn the heat up to high.

Your soaking chiles should be soft by now. Drain them and discard the soaking water (it will be bitter) and place them in a blender with one cup of fresh water. Puree until nice and smooth and then add the chile puree to the chili pot.

When chili begins to boil, turn heat down to low and let simmer for five hours, stirring occasionally. Taste it once an hour, and if the flavors are too muted, feel free to add more of any of the spices. Also, it starts to get too dry, add more liquid (your choice!).

After five hours, take a Mexican hot chocolate disc, and finely grate 1/3 of it into the pot. Scoop out 1 cup of broth and add the masa harina. Mix it well and then reincorporate it back into the pot. Stir until chili is thickened.

Let the chili simmer for another half hour or so. When done, serve with cheddar, onions and tortillas.​

Note:
If you can't find all of these chiles, I would just use the more readily available anchos and chipotles. I'd use 6-8 anchos, following the same soaking and pureeing method, and two chipotles.​

All text copyright by Lisa Fain

This has become one of my favorite recipes. I have used it quite a few times instead of my mish-mash of the Frank X. Tolbert base.

Here's the recipe I've been using since college. It is mild, but you can add whatever hot things you want to gunch it up. It is definitely not purist Texas chili, but I like it:

Chili Con Carne Recipe

1.5 tablespoons oil
2 pounds cubed beef (cheapest cut available)
8 tomatoes skinned and cubed or 28 oz can tomatoes
2 onions chopped
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon sugar
1.5 teaspoons EACH: salt, ground cumin, oregano
4 cups red kidney beans (or some other kind, or a mix)

=====
- brown the meat in the oil and drain off fat
- add everything EXCEPT the beans, cook covered over low heat for 2 or 3 hours until the meat is tender.
- add the beans only for the final 20 minutes (earlier and they turn to mush)

Last edited:
I made a big batch of turkey chili for the AFC/NFC games last Sunday. (Apologies to our Texas AKers as this is more of a chili soup.)
Got out the biggest frying pan and sauteed 3 large diced onions and a bunch of garlic. Dumped that into my 15 quart Le Creuset pot.
Browned 4 pounds of ground turkey and dumped that into the pot. In went 3 cans of Rotel diced tomatoes w/ green chili's.
2 large cans of diced tomatoes, 2 large cans of crushed tomatoes,
3 cans of dark red kidney beans, 2 cans of black beans, 1 can of white beans,
1 bottle of Harpoon Dunkin' Donuts Coffee flavored Porter,
Plus any frozen packages of leftover steak that had been accumulated in the freezer, those got diced up and thrown in at the end as well
2 large dried Ancho chilis, Cumin, Chili Powder, Ancho Chili Powder, ground pepper, salt, Black & Red Pepper & some Frank's hot sauce.

Served with the wife's cornbread, made in a cast iron frying pan, served with a Carnivore Cabernet, a $10 bottle that might be the darkest red I have ever seen. No need for subtlety with this dinner. We got 8 additional containers for future midweek dinners that will come in handy, not bad for a little afternoon work.

3 lbs of hamburger (80/20)
2 24 oz cans of tomato sauce
2 24 oz cans of dark kidney beans
1 16 oz can of black beans
1 8 oz can of corn
1 sweet onion
little bit of corn oil
5 cut up sweet bell peppers
1 whole bottle of hot Mexican chili powder
1 tblspn of black pepper

Brown meet with corn oil & Chili powder.
Add in chopped onion and green peppers
let cook until onions are slightly clear
add in beans and tomato sauce.
add in rest of ingredients.
let it come to a simmer or a little more hot, but NOT a rolling boil.
Add in sugar to make chili slightly sweet.

When serving, you add in your hot sauces, raw onion, cheeses, or even sour cream.
Sweet chili seems to agree with kids and seniors better. The hot sauce you pick is important.

Thanks to all who posted and especially those who dug up this zombie thread!:beerchug:
Some great ideas here that I'll have to save to my recipe files:thumbsup:
It's February already and I haven't made any Chili yet this winter. I think it's about time.

Thanks to all who posted and especially those who dug up this zombie thread!:beerchug:
Some great ideas here that I'll have to save to my recipe files:thumbsup:
It's February already and I haven't made any Chili yet this winter. I think it's about time.

I made a large slow cooker of my recipe for our annual Christmas dinner at work and was later asked by many what was used, so I typed it up and created a file to send to them. When doing so, I searched Chili recipe here, found this thread, and added mine to it.

Glad I found the old thread, because I would like to try some of the other recipes that have been shared.

IMG_2990.JPG

This is some excellent stuff for use in chili, soups and stews. I have been using it for at least 25 years and it is worth seeking. It's very concentrated and 1 tbsp is enough to really make things taste naturally beefier.

Anyone else tried this? I have always called it BV Sauce.

Another thing I have used in chili the last 3-4 years is Fire Roasted Hatch Chili's. I buy a case or two each year, remove the skins and seeds and freeze. 2-3 per pot of chili.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom