Chime in on your C-40 phono section performance?

Stevedel

I've been using a recently refreshed C-24. It is very nice to listen to but has a slight hum in the phono section (only noticeable if I turn up the volume between records. otherwise totally quiet). I think that a newer pre-amp may be an improvement.

The C-40 seems to have all of the inputs that I need and also matches my MR7083W tuner.

Any comments on the phono performance of the C-40 would be greatly appreciated. Other McIntosh pre-amps will be considered but I've grown quite fond of the variable loudness control. I don't know about the "Compander". I would prefer a 17-1/2" wide front panel.

I'm going through the Mcintosh forum, page by page, and am up to page 60. Lots of knowledge and information here so thanks very much.

I'm beginning to think that the C-40 was not their biggest seller.

Thanks for the comments, gents. I may have to adjust my thinking.

By the way, LouisJames, that is a real cute pup.

Last edited:
I had a C40 for a while before I got my C48, its an excellent pre-amp, has an excellent phono stage, and I actually regret selling it.
I have since replaced it with a C33, which I in fact like a bit more because it matches the MC2205 in the system...
On the sound side of things I think theres not a lot of difference between a C33/34 and a C40......So that could also be an option for you, unless of course you want a remote...

I don't know how many C40s were made, but it's the last of the Mac preamps that includes a monitor amp. The C40 feature set is very similar to the C33/C34, as kevzep notes. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those models. I find the C33 phono stage to be terrific, and I'd expect the same performance from the C40.

My issue with the C40 is their selling price - they sell for nearly as much as a C100. After looking at C40s for a while, I just ended up buying a C100 for a few bills more.

If you read some of my other posts, you know I was looking for a C-40, but it wouldn't fit and when asking Frank Gow he couldn't give it the highest rating saying there were better sounding pre-amps out there from Mcintosh. We never got into which ones as I had to settle on a C-34 because of size. I added a MP-100 to get the sound I wanted plus the flexibility needed to add low output MC cartridges in the future. I hope the tube lovers out there realize the latest phono pre-amp sections are not totally tube, but are hybrids. If they want a more authentic tube section they want a C2200. I'm a solid State guy but have to admit the C-500T is a mighty fine sounding pre-amp, but it doesn't have graphic tone controls, a record selector, a mode selector and other features I can't live with out. If I had my choice I would want a C-40, with a MP-100 front end, and with other tweaks to bring it up to date. I don't need all the digital processing, PURE ANALOG would be just fine. And while I'm dreaming, place everything in a 16" chassis.

Price. Even though I am just past 70, I still look at Mac as a long term investment. And with the price of new units ever climbing and realizing how well older pieces perform if you want to invest in a pre-owned C-40 or other pre-amp go for it. I waited 30 years to return to Mac amps even though I knew when the MC-7200 was introduced that I would be doing so some time in the future. My Crowns had been out classed. I bought my 207"s and 206 in 2008 and they are now almost 9 years old. I bought my 207's when they listed for $6000, and I think they are $9000 now. With the discount I received I could sell the 207's for more than I paid. How can you loose? And why would I. I don't have room for seven MC 7200's, Mac isn't building a stereo amp with out autoformers, and my speakers prefer direct coupled amps. Direct coupled amps work real well in bi or tri-amped systems where the passive components of the crossover have been removed!!!

I have a C-40, C-42 and C-45. The C-40 has a very good Phono section, and sounds the warmest out of the three. I love the variable loudness as well. The C-40 is driving a MC7270.

I think that the C-40 is the preamp for me. If I can just resist a really good price on some of the other C-Preamps that may present themselves.

I watched "The Lord of the Rings" over the weekend and can see a use for the "Compandor".

I hope that nothing shows up soon. It's Mothers Day and Mom needs a new TV.

Thanks all.

My issue with the C40 is their selling price - they sell for nearly as much as a C100. After looking at C40s for a while, I just ended up buying a C100 for a few bills more.

The C100/P100 I saw for sale in 2016 was $3500, at least that was the asking price. I have seen a C-40 sold for around $1200. You got a great deal on the C100. Where do I get one? :D

The C100/P100 I saw for sale in 2016 was $3500, at least that was the asking price. I have seen a C-40 sold for around $1200. You got a great deal on the C100. Where do I get one? :D
I guess you missed (thankfully) the C100 listed on bt a couple months ago. They don't come up too often and with good reason and mine will be with me until my days of listening to music come to an end. I've been at this hobby for a few years now and I've never once heard vinyl best a cd on my rig.........until this past weekend:yikes: The phono section on the C100 is nothing short of amazing.

Normally, C40s sell for a bit more than $1200 . . .

C40 is an outstanding SS pre. Fully featured, dead quiet and great looking...also rare...there was a reasonably short production window on this unit...not to be confused with the 41.. the 40 is the one to get from this 'era'

From an audio standpoint (not a feature standpoint) the C 36, C38 and C40 have identical phono and line stages. This vintage of preamp had quite low distortion, wide bandwidth and extremely low noise.

I've been using a recently refreshed C-24. It is very nice to listen to but has a slight hum in the phono section (only noticeable if I turn up the volume between records. otherwise totally quiet). I think that a newer pre-amp may be an improvement.

The C-40 seems to have all of the inputs that I need and also matches my MR7083W tuner.

Any comments on the phono performance of the C-40 would be greatly appreciated. Other McIntosh pre-amps will be considered but I've grown quite fond of the variable loudness control. I don't know about the "Compander". I would prefer a 17-1/2" wide front panel.

I'm going through the Mcintosh forum, page by page, and am up to page 60. Lots of knowledge and information here so thanks very much.

Well this old thread has been revived and so now I wonder whatever happened? Did you get a C40 or??

I don't think a C24 should hum if working properly and I wonder if you got a new pre amp and if that fixed the hum.

I hear hum from my phono in the "main" system listed in my signature and I have determined that the source is noise induced in the wires in my turntable - as far as I can see, the ET-2 arm provides no shielding and the twisting of the tiny wires in the arm is not sufficient. I hear the hum the same with both the MX121 and C220 phono sections but when I plug an older Duel also with a Shure cartridge, I get no hum from either of those pre amps. Also, I hear no hum at all with the C22 with yet a third Shure cartridge with the volume all the way up and my ear next to the speaker - just some low-level white noise.

Note if you're reading this post in the future and you don't see a TT with ET-2 Arm in my signature it means I've replaced or decommissioned that TT probably for this reason.

I went Mac for the first time with a C40. Very happy. Digital only right now and using it as an integrated. Excited to check out the phono stage some day.

Back
Top Bottom