Chino CA JBL speakers

KiM3Ce

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
No affiliation, sale has started.

https://www.estatesales.net/CA/Chino/91710/1992618?modal=true

1.jpg

1.jpg

If you're referring to the $820 "sale", please note the item has been re-listed! In other words, it did not sell. :thumbsup:

A high price on Ebay tells you nothing about how the speakers will sound, or even compare to cheaper models.

Some people just don't know the value and have too much money to spend! It's one thing if you're a flipper, and quite another if you want to enjoy listening to a nice pair of vintage JBLs.

A high price on Ebay tells you nothing about how the speakers will sound, or even compare to cheaper models.

Some people just don't know the value and have too much money to spend! It's one thing if you're a flipper, and quite another if you want to enjoy listening to a nice pair of vintage JBLs.
You said "least desirable". You didn't say anything about the sound. I've never heard them, but I know that any older JBL which doesn't come up too often is in fact "desirable".

You said "least desirable". You didn't say anything about the sound. I've never heard them, but I know that any older JBL which doesn't come up too often is in fact "desirable".
Excuse me. I thought we were on an audio site.

I didn't realize that how something sounds when playing music did not factor into how desirable they were to audio enthusiasts.

In some cases, you are right. For instance a Paragon is more desirable than a garden-variety S8 system based on its aesthetics. There were very few made because of the cost, though they do come up more frequently than their quantities would suggest they should. But they don't sound as good as several other less "desirable" JBL systems. I'd say in that case they are an exception based on aesthetics. The speakers in this thread are certainly no Paragons.

Carry on.

I didn't say it didn't factor. Don't put words in my mouth. It certainly isn't the only factor, as you point out yourself.

I'm sorry! Maybe you have a pair of LE14Cs you're trying to sell? There've been several on an urban Craigs List near me that have languished for many months. The price goes down but apparently the interest does, too.

Maybe those on the East Coast are less enamored by a box with "JBL" on it than the flippers in California?

It really is all about the music . . . and how it sounds.

I've never heard a pair either, but I can't imagine them sounding good with a driver so close to the floor.

Now if you had some three foot stands to place them on who knows.:dunno:

I've never heard a pair either, but I can't imagine them sounding good with a driver so close to the floor.

Now if you had some three foot stands to place them on who knows.:dunno:
Believe it or not, that size speaker was thought of as a large bookshelf back in the day.

So what size is that driver?, it looks like 15" to my eyes.

Edit: Quick search told me it's a 12" driver, that would be a really large bookshelf speaker for sure.

So what size is that driver?, it looks like 15" to my eyes.

Edit: Quick search told me it's a 12" driver, that would be a really large bookshelf speaker for sure.
JBL calls it a 14-inch coaxial. (LE14C = Linear Efficiency 14-inch Composite)
The 40-plus-year-old Lansaloy surrounds will assure you of limited bass response. They're probably hard as a rock. Some say an application of DOT-3 brake fluid helps loosen them up. A re-surround with conventional foam pieces is a better idea.

The C53 cabinet is listed as 23-1/2 x 14 x 11-3/4" or just a tiny bit smaller than an L112 which JBL refers to as a "bookshelf" speaker.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom