Chip amps-Who are the current big players?

The Tripaths ( aka class-T or T-amps ) are just one type of class D amp. The company went under a few years ago.

Last edited:
I've been using a Panasonic XR-55 class D AV receiver for close to 10 years

01b41833cc1b01e1d2e93c3716051977-3960974-700_700.jpg

Yamaha has some class d stuff on their website. Also some of of the top tier pioneer AV stuff used class d as well.

I also have this JVC class D which IMO is a good looking and good sounding receiver. Compared to conventional AV receivers it was less expensive, skinny and light as a feather. It didn't sell well perhaps due to those factors and was discontinued after a couple of years.

1901_large_rx-d205s.JPG

As this style of amp gains traction as hifi, perhaps class A might become even more of an exclusive thing and AB obsolete.

By combining a chip amp with a high performance opamp you can improve performance far beyond what the basic chip amp is capable of. This is a good example- http://www.neurochrome.com/modulus-86-rev-2-0/

I know everybody has different ears and perceptions of reproduced sound. I built the Modulus amp with no expense spared and it sounds fine. However, I find myself listening to my little TPA3116 amps more and more. I am just drawn to the sound, especially when paired with my Transcendent Masterpiece Preamp.

However, I find myself listening to my little TPA3116 amps more and more. I am just drawn to the sound

I'm running a TPA3116 amp with a passive (shunt) input. The passive stage is quite revealing of its partnering equipment. Its taken awhile to voice the amplifier but i have not enjoyed music more.

The Volt+ ( TPA3118 ) on the left is pretty much all I listen to these days. It comes with lots of mods so I doubt folks will try to tweak it's outstanding SQ.

Quality power supplies make all the difference with chip amps and here the Volt+ is sitting atop it's low profile Astron linear regulated psu.

PA280029.jpg

As I (think) I have posted elsewhere, I recently bi-amped with a Nuvo class-D power amp juicing the woofers. I didn't like the amp at all in full-range use, but it is outstanding (70 wpc) as a woofer amp.

Astrons are great power suppllies.

Rhing (on these forums) put me on to those power supplies during the earlier stages of amplifier addiction. :thumbsup:
It was a big step up from the switched mode stuff that i was using at the time. For a bigger fix / hit, there is also modified Astron.

Last edited:
My current class d powered bookshelf system includes the Volt+/Astron, and Nobsound tube preamp powering Tektons and plate amp driven bucket subs. I listen to the Volt+ far more than my SET amps and don't feel I'm missing anything.

Here's a link to the Volt+ as well as some other interesting products.

https://allo.com/sparky/volt-plus-amp.html

PA260017.jpg

Back
Top Bottom