Choice of two cartridges for Pioneer PL-S70

I'm pretty new to turntables in general and I don't know much about cartridge quality. I have a Pioneer PL-S70 that I used in my teen years that I have recently unearthed. The cartridge that it currently has installed is an Audio Technica 8008 with a cheap $12 stylus that I got from Amazon. I just bought an Audio Technica AT81CP cartridge for $29 from Amazon. When I bought it I was thinking it was just the stylus but it is the cartridge as well.

I guess my question is, is the AT81CP a better cartridge than the AT 8008 with the cheap stylus? If the 8008 is a better cartridge should I just swap the AT81CP's stylus for the cheap one in the 8008?

Thank you in advance for anyone who can help.

Your in the right spot , it’s just someone hasn’t come along yet to answer your question. I’m sorry I can’t answer it as I dont know much about AT cartridges, but I’m sure someone will be along to answer your question. Welcome to AK btw :thumbsup:

Audiofreak71

I'm pretty new to turntables in general and I don't know much about cartridge quality. I have a Pioneer PL-S70 that I used in my teen years that I have recently unearthed. The cartridge that it currently has installed is an Audio Technica 8008 with a cheap $12 stylus that I got from Amazon. I just bought an Audio Technica AT81CP cartridge for $29 from Amazon. When I bought it I was thinking it was just the stylus but it is the cartridge as well.

I guess my question is, is the AT81CP a better cartridge than the AT 8008 with the cheap stylus? If the 8008 is a better cartridge should I just swap the AT81CP's stylus for the cheap one in the 8008?

Thank you in advance for anyone who can help.

Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

Technically the

AT 8808 is the superior cartridge.

Frequency response: 5 to 30,000Hz
Output: 5.0mV
Channel separation: 31dB (1kHz)
Channel balance: 1dB
Tracking force: 1 to 1.5g
Vertical tracking angle: 20 degrees
Stylus shape: linear contact
Cantilever: tapered alloy tube
Load impedance: 47K ohms

AT81CP

Frequency Response 20-20,000 Hz
Channel Separation 18 (dB at 1 kHz)
Vertical Tracking Force 1.0-1.5 g (1.25 g standard)
Stylus Construction Bonded round shank
Recommended Load Impedance 47,000 ohms
Output 3.5 mV (1 kHz, 5 cm/sec.)
Channel Balance 2.5 dB (1 kHz)
Stylus Shape 0.6 mil conical
Cantilever Carbon fiber-reinforced ABS
Mount P-mount

Does your Pioneer PL-S70 have only the Pmount heashell attachment ? :idea:

There is a standard headshell attachment available, check forum sponsors:
https://organdonorparts.com/Pioneer_c13.htm
https://www.ebay.com/str/vinylreclamation

IMG_20180723_202659086-01.jpeg
This is what I have. I know that it's a "P" mount type cartridge but that's all that I know. I've read about a half inch adapter or something for this cartridge but I'm not sure if that is what I have or not. I do know that I'm missing the cartridge mount screw.

This is what I have. I know that it's a "P" mount type cartridge but that's all that I know. I've read about a half inch adapter or something for this cartridge but I'm not sure if that is what I have or not. I do know that I'm missing the cartridge mount screw.

That looks like the standard 1/2 in headshell.

No need to use Pmount cartridge with an adapter.

For best performance, use a standard 1/2 inch cartridge. :thumbsup:

That looks like the standard 1/2 in headshell.

No need to use Pmount cartridge with an adapter.

For best performance, use a standard 1/2 inch cartridge. :thumbsup:

Any particular 1/2 inch cartridges that you recommend? I don't have a lot to spend but I'm definitely interested in getting the most out of what I have.

Back
Top Bottom