Vinylphile
You are invited
to worship with us
11:00AM​
in the sanctuary
Outstanding Music
Join Us!​

Can I get an amen AK brothers?!

Here is what I believe the audio community needs more of, I received my August copy of Stereophile today and in "as we see it" Art Dudley is once again putting a fresh take on the Audiophile state of affairs.

"Do you want an appliance that'll get the job done, or do you have the faith that a good system can transform listening into something special?"...

People need to write audio like this, people need to read audio like this, like as if your life depended on it.

Please, go to your mail box brethren, or a local library, book store (if you can find one) and read Stereophile, read this opening page, in its completion, and be saved and go in peace, amen!!!!

happy listening, happy listener!:beatnik:

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

Oh, boy. I have to ask... her response?!

In the recently released August issue of Stereophile, Art Dudley also writes about the "Five vintage loudspeakers you should hear before you die". Altec 604B, Klangfilm Eurodyn, Quad electrstatics, RCA LC1, Western Electric 755A and 753C and a few others.
It's a great read!

Enjoyed that vintage speaker story too. I thing Stereophile does both themselves and of course us, a good service by reviewing products that are no longer available in the current retail market but, have made their mark over time and are still available in secondary markets. Kudos to Stereophile and Art.

Happy Listening!:beatnik:

Art's on a roll...I really loved that essay feature on vintage speakers AND his opening essay. Nice to be excited to see Stereophile in the mailbox again!

Art's on a roll...I really loved that essay feature on vintage speakers AND his opening essay. Nice to be excited to see Stereophile in the mailbox again!

Isn't it? I love his take on the whole thing.

Happy Listening!:beatnik:

Yes, a good article. Great job Mr. Dudley. I look forward to the follow up that looks at 5 modern speakers that have some of the same qualities as the vintage classics.

Is Herb Reichert writing reviews anywhere?

Hmm my August issue hasn't arrived yet, I look forward to reading this one.

EDIT: Whoops, it's actually sitting on top of a pile of books about three inches from my knee right now. Talk about absent minded. :yikes: I've fallen behind reading my TAS and Stereophile magazines, but I'll comment once I've read the topic of this thread.

I found this essay it to be instantly "clarifying" - it focused for me some of the thinking I have been unable to sort out. (It also gave me pause to (re)consider "In hi-fi, there is no Point B" (discussed here: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=417223). Like Art, I think I get it (within my very limited context and experience) and I respect his parallel discussion of belief systems and faith. As I attempted to mention in a different thread, I've been a bit of an agnostic about some of this stuff, but Mr. Dudley seems to have helped me see the light. As a not-particularly-religious person, this is about as close to an Epiphany as I might experience.

In answer to Brother VinylRob, "Amen!"

Yes, a good article. Great job Mr. Dudley. I look forward to the follow up that looks at 5 modern speakers that have some of the same qualities as the vintage classics.

Is Herb Reichert writing reviews anywhere?

For me, Art Dudley column and commentary is kind of like Tide to the audio industry and pursuit of our hobby, always new and improved, aways leaving a fresh scent after it's gone, and with a little adjuration, making ideas come out a little cleaner and brighter than when they went in And, it was easy and fun in the process!

In his review of a nice group of vintage loudspeakers, I love Art's "Warning Label". As troubling as it is to feel that one always has to couch ones comments or implement the ubiquitous IMHO, or to temper ones ideas shared with "just my (little) experience", I don't know, maybe we need to front load each and every thread with a cut and paste something like this to fend off those no name, no face, troll like who feel the need to share, as some kind of civic duty, a contradiction to anything and everything... I feel this preface or something very similar may be a nice addition to the beginning of all our threads until the audio moral minority get the point. It's friendly and poignant and sufficient warning that the rest of us are going to make fun of you and carry on about our course regardless of your "help".

IMHO this is just another of those little gems that Mr. Dudley brings to the table along with continually doing the absurd, reviewing things which are not currently advertised and being shlepped for our listening pleasure, or someone else's income (disclaimer: and no offense meant to someone trying to earn a living, even if it happens to be by way of selling Hifi).

Always a pleasure.

Happy Listener!:beatnik:

Back
Top Bottom