Choosing a 70s Sansui receiver for my Jubals...

mrharrison

Hi all

I find myself ogling images, used listings and forum threads about 70s Sansui receivers recently. I have no idea where this urge came from and I am finding it hard to resist. I think it's a combination about how they look (there's something about the older ones - 2000x, 5000x etc) and the endless positive reports from Sansui-lovers. I also like the idea of using a component from the same era as my speakers.

My speakers are JBL L65As - please don't start an argument about whether they are "Jubals" or not - and I am currently driving them with a modern 100W power amp. The sound is clean and powerful, but perhaps a little clinical and dry. I also want to add FM to my source options. My only other source is my computer. I might add a turntable one day. According to Audio-Database, the JBLs are 89dB and 8 ohm. For context, I am in Europe, where Sansui receivers seem to be harder to find than in the US.

Now we come to the bit about specific models. There seem to be various "series" from particular eras.

Late 60s - early/mid 70s (2000x, 5000x etc)
These have really caught my eye, but I'm not sure how they would pair with my JBLs. Based on what I've read, they tend to have the warmest sound, perhaps coming so soon after the valve era. Plus points for the wood cases too.

Mid - Late 70s (5050, 8080 and the 8080DB and 9090DB etc.)
These seem to be well regarded, and praised for build quality. Still a warm sound, but perhaps less so than the previous series. Wood cases again (I think?), very nice. Not sure if the Dolby ones are a good or bad thing, though.

Mid - Late 70s - Early 80s (G-series)
These also are well regarded, but perhaps slightly lesser build quality than previous series. Also a more "accurate" sound with significantly lower distortion measurements, but also less warmth maybe? I also don't like the all-silver look so much, but if the sound is that much better, then maybe I can learn to...?

Obviously there are others, in particular the "single number series" Seven, Eight etc. and the 221-881 series. I have no idea where either of these fit in.

Anyone care to enlighten me on differences, favourites, compatibility with JBL L65s/Jubals etc.?

Last edited:
Pictures coz why not?

2000x
sansui-2000x-1.jpg

5000x
5000X.jpg

8080.jpg

G-8000
G8000.jpg

G-Series has a clearer sound that's very smooth with a warmth that's there but not heavy....a rich clear sound. (My favorite sound from Sansui receivers.)
I have a G-5000, G-6000, and G-9000. All share a similar sound but as you go up the scale they get more effortless and crisp. It's a general concencus that top sound begins at the G-7000 level with the G-8000 and G-9000 being indistinguishable from each other. (Have never compared here but have heard this from people who have spent a lot of time with fully serviced Sansui.)

Earlier Sansui has a warmer sound with a creamy presentation in the highs that has a sparkle "out of the warm" sound'. For me pairing speaks is more crucial with them because lesser speakers hide the "tube sound" that the early solid state tried to emulate. (Even though most of my listening is with a G-9000, a lot of listening is in a smaller room with a Sansui 4000 and some early KLH speaks.....kinda of a zen thing and I listen to different music in there.
No bad choice between the two so just make sure that you get something in good shape, pair speaks well to maximize it's strengths, and have a good source for at least testing. (Quality enough digital is easily found, a god send....and damn the torpedoes lol.) Hope this helps.

I'd go big G because the face is more bilaterally symetrical and the tuner dial is more legible at a greater distance. Also the meters are bigger and clearer. And the G series is just a little newer. I'm comparing this to an 8080 or 9090. I have read that the 8080 has issues with heat but I don't know enough to compare reliability to the G. If it was up to me I would consider reliability and ease of repair in my decision.

Tonally the 9090 is the best of them all. I went through a Sansui phase during the seventies buying up new TOTL Sansui receivers and selling them to my friends when something newer came out. Of all the Sansui's the 9090 has a sound of its own full of frequency extensions like that of the Pioneer SX-1250 and the Yamaha CR-3020.

Tonally the 9090 is the best of them all. I went through a Sansui phase during the seventies buying up new TOTL Sansui receivers and selling them to my friends when something newer came out. Of all the Sansui's the 9090 has a sound of its own full of frequency extensions like that of the Pioneer SX-1250 and the Yamaha CR-3020.
I've heard that the 8080 is tonally almost identical to the 9090, but with slightly less power (and a lot less cost!). Did you ever get to compare the two?

For me pairing speaks is more crucial with them because lesser speakers hide the "tube sound" that the early solid state tried to emulate.
I agree about the importance of pairing - that's why I'm hoping someone is going to chime in with experience of Sansui with JBL L65s!

I have the G-801 and It scores very well in the Looks dept and the build quality is very good here too, easy to get around inside. here is how its going to go down for you. It is what comes along at a good price. Take what you can get and Since your here at AK your encouraged to collect them all!! sorry about your wallet. I paid 60 bucks for the G801 I have. Don't zero in on something and pay $1000 bucks for it. unless I'm selling you mine that is :p Hunt for good deals and the older series would be a good start

I've heard that the 8080 is tonally almost identical to the 9090, but with slightly less power (and a lot less cost!). Did you ever get to compare the two?

Yes....

Had a buddy that had an 8080 and we both had the same speakers. For me, the 9090 was tonally fuller, kind of like the difference between a conical stylus and an elliptical stylus while the 8080 had more of an open soundstage that dominated the mids and highs. That's with the JBL-L250's.....

This is too hard.
It's frankly impossible to "stumble" on these in Europe, so grabbing one "when you see one" so you can have a listen is not really an option.

And now I'm being seduced by Tandberg and Luxman...

:dunno:

Anyway, more pics...

In terms of styling, I'd say that these all fall between the 2000x/5000x series and the 8080/9090 series. Does that fit chronologically with when they were released as well?

Sansui Eight
1117675-sansui-eight.jpg

Sansui Eight Deluxe
395324-sansui_eight_deluxe_stereo_receiver_mint_.jpg

Sansui 881
imgp1968_14450.jpg

Here's my guesswork for rough years (release only - no end years) for each "series":

68/69
x000 series

71 (?)
Single number series (Eight etc)
x000x series (2000x, 5000x)

xx1 series (881, 771 etc)

x0x0 series (8080, 9090 etc.)

x0x0DB series

G-x000 series

Mostly from the ClassicAudio website. Some from HifiEngine.

Happy for anyone to correct me if I'm wrong, of course!

Last edited:
Release date for the Sansui 9090 was 1975 I believe (and yes, the G Series began in 1978.)
As much as I like Sansui as a brand? My Luxman R-1120 is same league.....pairs very very well with many many speaks. Has a very clean sound that has a breathless light and smooth "warm" still in place (that is like Sansui in some ways). Premium stuff too.

The R-1120 is the long awaited advent of super powered tuner amplifier from Luxman.

It has a giant power output of 120W per channel and truly useful and equally eye catching LED peak indicators allowing easy reading of instantaneous output power level.

Other features include 3 pairs of speaker terminals, one of which is specially designed for exclusive use with such low impedance loudspeakers as electrostatic types which have been gaining remarkable popularity among discerning audiophiles.

BD, tell us about that 3rd set of outputs they mention

Release date for the Sansui 9090 was 1975 I believe (and yes, the G Series began in 1978.)
Yes, I see HifiEngine has the 9090 as 75 and the 9090DB as 76. I'll update my original post. Makes a bit more sense.

As much as I like Sansui as a brand? My Luxman R-1120 is same league.....pairs very very well with many many speaks. Has a very clean sound that has a breathless light and smooth "warm" still in place (that is like Sansui in some ways). Premium stuff too.
Yes, that Luxman 1120 looks quite something. I'm also looking at a gorgeous Tandberg (can't remember the model) - their wood cases are something else!

I love my 5000X that is in the garage hooked to CV D-9s.
But I would be forced to look at the BA and CA 2000 and on up if I had L65s.... I would think they deserve some primo stuff... not the common G series or 9090 consumer grade fodder. There is a BA-2000&CA2000 on the bay (not affiliated) that I've been eye-balling...

Much as I like the idea, I don't think that would go down well with the wife - she's prepared to accept a cute retro receiver, but big black boxes are a no no!

I love my 5000X that is in the garage hooked to CV D-9s.
But I would be forced to look at the BA and CA 2000 and on up if I had L65s.... I would think they deserve some primo stuff... not the common G series or 9090 consumer grade fodder. There is a BA-2000&CA2000 on the bay (not affiliated) that I've been eye-balling...
When you start talking the big separates in Sansui (and others) they are fine stuff no doubt. But? My big "100lbs. a stuff in a 50lb. box." G Series receivers have attributes that keep them in a very respectable fight with my large vintage separates in no uncertain terms. The only area I see the separates truly leap ahead is with high end more modern speaker pairing and certain tech in vintage speaks. Fodder? Hell....top end receivers are a miracle!

I have to agree with others in the G series stuff.
Several (of each) G-9700's and G7700's here..

Although the G-9700 is the big brother to my G-7700,
I find myself endlessly impressed with the 7700 even after owning my original -9700 for 37 years.

If you want to hear the sex in a lovely young ladies voice,
The G series will make the hair on the back of your neck stand at attention.

They are so truthfully accurate to the original voice that
they are a revelation when heard at earth moving volumes.

charlie-brown.jpg

I have maybe 5pcs. that are either from sleeper models within a brand or "little brothers of something bigger I have that sound better to me (for whatever reason). Enjoy it when you got it!

Back
Top Bottom