Choosing a 70s Sansui receiver for my Jubals...

When you start talking the big separates in Sansui (and others) they are fine stuff no doubt. But? My big "100lbs. a stuff in a 50lb. box." G Series receivers have attributes that keep them in a very respectable fight with my large vintage separates in no uncertain terms. The only area I see the separates truly leap ahead is with high end more modern speaker pairing and certain tech in vintage speaks. Fodder? Hell....top end receivers are a miracle!

I don't mean to dispute the quality differences of Sansui separates compared to receivers. I am coming at this from a rarity perspective. I have seen so many Sansui receivers (g-series, x001, 1000-up) in the wild in the last 7-10 years, that I have the feeling they are a dime a dozen. But for every 100 receivers I see, I only see one BA-CA combo.
I just mean, if you are stuck on Sansui (not a bad thing to be stuck on) might as well go for the really big wow.

I don't think the big Sansui's are a Dime a dozen, I've owned my G-8700DB since about 1980, and in that time I've only known one other person with a G series (a 9700). I think people knew they were special and held on to them instead of setting them on the curb when they moved or upgraded to BPC in the 90's like they would do with a smaller receiver.

I don't think the big Sansui's are a Dime a dozen, I've owned my G-8700DB since about 1980, and in that time I've only known one other person with a G series (a 9700). I think people knew they were special and held on to them instead of setting them on the curb when they moved or upgraded to BPC in the 90's like they would do with a smaller receiver.
Maybe...
We have an Audio Swap-meet in Denver in March. About 75-100 tables/sellers. Last March I saw 30-40 Sansui receivers there and at least 5 of them were G-series. This represents what is there every year. I've never seen these there... or in person.
upload_2017-5-21_15-11-29.png

If I was hunting for a killer Sansui.... I'd try to bag this one.

Surprised no one asked how loud you intend to play your music. Other factors come into play when you stay under 5 watts in Sansuiland :)
To further explain---
The 2000 cap coupled series at conversational levels and efficient speakers is as close as I can get to my tube rig.
The G9000 driving LBL L100's will hurt your hearing and sound great doing it, this setup really likes jazz due to midrange accuracy
The CA-BA combo through JBL 4312's will not only hurt your hearing but anything else nearby, especially if you are into Deep Purple or Whitesnake,

And to put all this highly subjective commentary in perspective my fully restored 8080db does just about everything as well as the three combo's I listed above and also has the highest WAF of the group :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom