Choosing a vintage Graphic EQ

I'll put in a vote for the audio control c22. Most 10 or 12 band eqs space the center points every octave, yet it's the bass that needs the most finesse because of room resonances that can get excited. The C22 spaces the center frequencies closer together for the bass (I believe it was about 2/3 of an octave), so you have finer control where you need it most. Some of their units include a warble tone generator, so you can identify unevenness in the bass response that needs correcting for your room and speakers.

If you need finer control, Technics made a nice 1/3 octave, 31 band unit.

Most eqs with sliders will need a cleaning with faderlube.

You should check out the Yamaha "Natural Sound" EQ's as you don't need any added distortion. Or, as little distortion added as possible. That's why allot of people don't use an EQ, but the Yamaha EQ-630 only has 0.006% of distortion (THD)....

I have two of them I don't use anymore, a 35 and a 70. Both are immaculate, just dust). Maybe I should find homes for them instead of just having a pile of unused gear in the garage accumulated LOL!!!!

7YnEzJY.jpg

White Instruments was considered the top of the line in the recording and broadcast industry back in the day. The model 4000 series 1/3 octave units using mod pots instead of sliders seem to have held up quite well.

These were all single channel units so two would be required. Not that this matters but the Grateful Dead refused to use anything else.

not sure how vintage the DBX's are but a 20/20 or even 10/20 would be the way to go. Even nicer if you find one with the calibrating mike.

I am kind of casually looking at / researching vintage (1970s / 80s) Graphic Equalizers . I think that at some point in the not too distant future I might want to purchase one to use with my Yamaha CR-2020 receiver and Klipsch Forte speakers.

I know that some people are not fans of using Equalizers and would recommend not adding one to a good stereo system because they can tend to possibly degrade the tone to some degree. And while I understand that idea and value anyone's experience and advice, I still would like to possibly purchase one because I use my sound system for a number of things. I use it to listen to music, from my computer / itunes, but also will be using a turntable, CD player and tape deck. And I listen to the audio from streaming movies and shows from my computer through it as well. So having an EQ unit could be a useful tool.

I would appreciate anyone's advice regarding good Graphic EQ units to consider. There is really not that much, in terms of extended reviews or indepth descriptions of user's experiences with EQ units online (even in this forum) that I have been able to find. So I created this thread to ask for any input that I could possible get from the many experienced audiophile individuals here !

I would like to find something that is relatively simple... meaning just analog sliders (stereo) as opposed to an electronic screen and buttons to program the various htz levels. I also would like to find something that was well built and intended to be used with a high quality audiophile home sound system.

Some of the stereo EQ units I have identified from that period that look interesting are units by Pioneer, Marantz, Yamaha, Soundscraftsmen, MXR, and others. But again there is not much info in terms of good reviews regarding the sound quality and component quality of these EQ units online.

So... any help with this would be great ! What EQ units do you like ?

None of old equalizers can compete with modern digital ones. Get digital (from Behringer to MiniDSP) and it will serve all your needs and more.

I am very happy with my Yamaha GE-60. It's not as pretty as some, but it has rumble reduction and subsonic filtering, two features I find very useful.

Hi guys, I'm new on this forum and need some advice about some huuuming noise coming out of my ADC equalizer ss-315x. After seeing those reviews I decided to get it from CL. I think I got a bad one :eek:, I tried replacing my RCA cables for professional ones to discard interferences. In addition to this I opened the unit to inspect it for some blown up capacitors. Circuit look nice and clean, not even dust. What are your suggestions? there's not a whole lot of info on the Web.
In the meantime I'm using a Technics SH 8028 Eq on my Luxman R-1040 amp. and it works just perfect.
Thank you!!

Hi guys, I'm new on this forum and need some advice about some huuuming noise coming out of my ADC equalizer ss-315x. After seeing those reviews I decided to get it from CL. I think I got a bad one :eek:, I tried replacing my RCA cables for professional ones to discard interferences. In addition to this I opened the unit to inspect it for some blown up capacitors. Circuit look nice and clean, not even dust. What are your suggestions? there's not a whole lot of info on the Web.
In the meantime I'm using a Technics SH 8028 Eq on my Luxman R-1040 amp. and it works just perfect.
Thank you!!

I would suspect there is some type of ground issue.. and I see the unit is rack mountable. Hmmmm..... ?

Kevin found the culprit in my Audiosource EQ One Model 1, it was an op-amp and he already fixed it. Prior it had a terrible hum

Glad to see I am not the only EQ junkie. Have been since they 1st came on the scene.
wonderful things for what they do.
have not been using one for some time now but think I will put one online
in my system of today. completely diff. from 40 yrs ago.
glad you posted this thread.

You should check out the Yamaha "Natural Sound" EQ's as you don't need any added distortion. Or, as little distortion added as possible. That's why allot of people don't use an EQ, but the Yamaha EQ-630 only has 0.006% of distortion (THD)....
I get a real kick out of those "advertising" adjustments.:rolleyes:

I would suspect there is some type of ground issue.. and I see the unit is rack mountable. Hmmmm..... ?

I'll try to connect a Ground wire and see what happens. The option Kevin Mentioned is another possibility. I'd only heard of this possibility in an amplifier when the transistors are about to blow up / overheated. But, since processing sound through a Eq is so critical, Any element (capacitor, resistor) "out of tune" could generate this noise. Thank you guys for sharing your knowledge.

I use this AudioConrol 520 Series "a" (internet pic). Gives me just enough control over the key frequencies, plus a subsonic filter. If I come across a series "b" at some point I'll probably grab it cuz the "b" gives you your tape loop back - the "a" does not so you need a more flexible preamp to connect all your gear and gadgets.

Oh, and no sliders!!!!!

AudioControl 520.jpg

^^^^ Second the AudioControl gear. I have two for use with the R2Rs I have. No fancy disco lights, but they're good looking and are well built. Audiocontrol C22.jpg

ADC's are very good with many different features that say Pioneer's and other makes don't have!

No Luck, Circuit is grounded to the box humming still coming out. I tried tape 1 and tape 2 inputs but, I guess this inputs require a preamp.
Obviously I had to make sure that my record player wasn't the problem so, I connected it directly to the phono input in my amp and it comes out w/o noise.
I started to believe I'd been scammed by a not very nice CL seller.

I always recommended professional UREI back in the 70's. It had great dynamic range was very quiet and had low distortion. It was very popular stuff in recording and broadcast studios. Its was the best at the time. With 96 db signal to noise below 1.4 volt level and close to and additional 16 db of head room. They made Graphic, Room, and Parametric equalizers, crossovers, line amps, mixers etc etc. For a more economical choice there was Rane, with the same choices. Professional Yamaha equalizers were so much better than their home products. At the time Home products just couldn't match up against professional stuff. There were exceptions Accuphase, and very limited choice from Mcintosh. That said I enjoyed the sound of Sansui and Pioneer Elite products. I have a SAE graphic 11 band I use in my record processing loop with other DBX products. My Speaker equalizers are Crown EQ Professional parametrics. Fabulous signal to noise and almost infinite adjustment with no sign of irritation or on set of listing fatigue. It can handle the increased voltage output required to drive modern Mac amplifiers with Power Guard, that can be a real issue for lesser home units. Professional DBX is another choice, but like home units their choice of connectors, volume controls and switches were always cost based and performance could become compromised after a few years. In the 80's Urei became part of JBL, but the products continued to perform well. WE sold Soundcraftsman, Marantz, Crown,Yamaha, Denon, Sansui, Mcintosh, Rane, Bozak, White , Urei, DBX, Altec, JBL, Ev, Renkus Heinz, QSC, Shure, Stanton, Audio Control, Ortofon, Nakamichi, MXR, M&K etc. So I had plenty of opportunity to compare different units. Very few were really bad, it was just others were so much better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom