chorus 1 speakers

stereoud7

i bought a pair from craig's list a few months back and i'm pretty disappointed in them.

the cabinets are perfect as are the grills and woofers, however the tweeters don't seem put out high frequencies like i think they should. the tweeters output sound but i dont feel like they are going as high as they should.

are these full range speakers? like up to 15k or 20k hz? i know it's not my electronics. my other speakers do just fine through them. The crossovers are probably original. is this something that could be caused by old crossovers?

if so what can i do to fix it or is this just how they sound?

Your very best course of action would be to invest in a brand new set of Bob Crites titanium diaphragms for the K79 tweeters in your Chorus, they only take minutes to install. You may have a set of fried tweeters. It never ceases to amaze me how often people purchase used speakers with blown tweeters and some times even blown mid diaphragms so that you know that it happens and probably more than a lot of people admit to. K79 is a nice smooth sounding tweeter and with some modification is a superb tweeter.
You might also want to experiment with re tuning your reflex vents by extending both to 7" in length this will give you a nice extension in bass depth. Will make for a much better balanced loudspeaker. Keep your eyes peeled for a set of Chorus ll they have a much better mid horn and are worth waiting for a pair to come around. Chorus and Chorus ll like to see some more serious power to sound their best a very solid 100 watts is a good start and 200 or more is better, they are not near as efficient as the published numbers suggest. They respond very well to power and are an excellent and exciting Klipsch loudspeaker.

thanks for the help. :)

I have some nice electronics behind the speakers. Vincent SP-331 amp (150w hybrid) and Vincent SA-31 pre amp. They should sound amazing. It wouldn't surprise me if they did have some damage to the tweeters or crossovers like you said as everything in them is original. I bought them because the cabinets/grills were perfect. if you looked at them you would think they just came out of the factory. The guy i bought them from was using a crappy looking pioneer receiver to run them. they sounded pretty bad when i checked them out to buy them, but i attributed it to his equipment.

so get the Crites titanium tweeter diaphragms...... I'll order them tomorrow. do you think the crossovers need to be replaced? I don't know how old these are but i bet everything in them is original.

also as for the the bass ports..... do you use pvc pipe? are there pre-made parts for this?

thanks again.

thanks for the help. :)

I have some nice electronics behind the speakers. Vincent SP-331 amp (150w hybrid) and Vincent SA-31 pre amp. They should sound amazing. It wouldn't surprise me if they did have some damage to the tweeters or crossovers like you said as everything in them is original. I bought them because the cabinets/grills were perfect. if you looked at them you would think they just came out of the factory. The guy i bought them from was using a crappy looking pioneer receiver to run them. they sounded pretty bad when i checked them out to buy them, but i attributed it to his equipment.

so get the Crites titanium tweeter diaphragms...... I'll order them tomorrow. do you think the crossovers need to be replaced? I don't know how old these are but i bet everything in them is original.

also as for the the bass ports..... do you use pvc pipe? are there pre-made parts for this?

thanks again.

The crossovers are probably just fine for their age. If you are good with a soldering iron and have upgraded crossover caps in the past order a fresh set of caps at the same time from Bob, it will be money well spent and over due. If you are not send your networks to Bob and have him do the job again good value for your money and they will come back to you tested and in perfect working order with far better than new parts.
So far as the reflex vents go you can insert plastic or paper tubes just don't use thick plastic tubes as it will through the tuning off. The tubes do not have to be thick thin is better. What ever you can get your hands on which is close enough to fit is fine and will sound great small differences are not an issue. Enjoy your new to you Chorus.

Last edited:
thanks for your help on this project, i just ordered the diaphragms and the kit to rebuild the crossovers. also ordered the tubing.

i'm really excited to get these fixed up and sounding good.

i will. probably wont get a chance to work on them until early aug though just getting the parts right now.

but i will let you know what its like when its done

the bass tubes i originally ordered didn't work. they were slit down the side. i stared a new thread about bass port tubes.

Back
Top Bottom