Transatlantic
Iona
Glenn Kaiser (super good blues)
Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Casey Corum
Eric Reed (jazz)
Carl Allen (jazz)
Third Day

Peace and goodwill. Praise His holy name!

The Rain Song - Day of Fire - YouTube

This band has been mentioned a couple times before, but I just want to cite this particular song. It never ceases to bring goosebumps, and almost always brings me to tears, remembering earlier days when I was actually a worshipful man... Amazingly poor production values on the youtube video, but the music and performance is quite good. Lyrics below from AZLyrics.

Bring rivers in this waste land,
Clouds into this sky
Bring springs of life into the wells that
Have been run dry

Rise up in this city
Gather in this light
Fall down on your people,
Your glory and your life

Rain, Lord we thirst for water
Rain, we are desert land
Rain, on your sons and daughters
Rain, bring your rain again

Speak dreams into this water
And vision to this land
Let oceans be divided
And bring forth life again

Rise up on this city
Gather in this light
Fall down on your people
Your glory and your life

[Chorus x2]

Let the tide roll in
Washing over our lives
Let your water fall again

Bring rivers in this waste land
And clouds into this sky

[Chorus x2]

Bring your rain again
Let your water fall down
Bring your rain again now

I have to admit that I have a real addiction to collecting Xian folk and rock. Many of them are small pressings put out by affiliated church groups. They can be very pricey on the open market. I'll try to post a couple a day to show some of my collection.

A Joyful Noise consisting of Denis Mullins and Danny Giordano. Most of the LP is pretty standard light pop rock and folk, but on "Celebration of the Last Days, they blow the roof off the studio. One of the best guitar solos I've heard on a Christian LP. If you can find this, get it just for this cut.

IMG_8962.JPG

IMG_8963.JPG

Last one for the evening is Sons of Thunder with a female lead guitar and trippy rock with a driving organ. A really fun LP.

IMG_8964.JPG

IMG_8965.JPG

Kind of an interesting thread here. I grew up in Texas and we were members of a fairly stringent church that forbade singing unto the lord with any accompanying musical instruments. It had to be a cappella.
We used a song book called The Majestic Hymnal: Number 2. The hymnal was published by the Firm Foundation Publishing House in 1959.

Anyway, when a group of people gather together and sing like that, just voices, it can be really moving and beautiful. Anybody know of any recordings of this type of music, not by church choirs, but by congregations that are singing the "standards" of what I would call bible belt christianity.

Thanks

For a different take on the X-tian music scene, I too love Keaggy, particularly his instrumental stuff, like The Wind and the Wheat, Beyond Nature, Master and Musician,
etc.
Koinonia is an excellent west coast jazz/fusion band featuring many well respected studio musicians.
Tye Tribbett - Greater Than, high energy full on funky gospel
Seawind - 70's jazz funk band with female vocalist Pauline Wilson, and a fantastic horn section.
For Acappella: Rescue, Take 6, God's Image, Anuna.
As for new stuff:
Ole Børud - if you like Steely Dan, this is some excellent music by this Norwegian
Ole was also in this band, a death metal Christian band called Extol:

Hawk Nelson - Diamonds (Deluxe Edition)

Diamonds.JPG
Source: HP dc7600 Small Form Factor PC
Player: Winamp 2.95 with 250+ band Equalizer v1.62 for Winamp by Nevi
DAC: Audioquest DragonFly v1.2
Preamplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. PT5
Amplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. ST125.2
Speakers: KLH 9250B

Listening to one my favorites - Crimson and Blue by Phil Keggy. Most of what I have I got burned out on a long time ago. I haven't been into most Pop since I turned 14 in 1970 and found AOR FM radio. Keggy is a legitimate player and makes good records. I've got some blues by Kaiser & Mansfield. Somebody mentioned Steve Taylor and Larry Norman which rings a bell too. Wasn't it Norman who did "Why Should the Devil Have All the Good Music" I haven't gone through this whole thread but I have stuff that I actually listened to by Jars of Clay, The 77's, and that little known Irish Christian crossover band, U2. Does Bach count?

^^^^ just skimming thru this thread @elcoholic and saw your post on page 7,...
Cheers my fellow AK'er!

He performed at a church I attended in the Dallas area back in the late '80's. Good stuff.

I don't care for most of the contemporary Christian music of today. I tend to reach back in time. Artists like Keith Green (long since past) and Twila Paris. I did recently pick up one by Phil Driscoll (Yes, that Phil Driscoll) that is quite moving. "A different man". I also have a couple by Rich Mullins that I enjoy.

I haven't read this whole thread to see who/what has been recommended, but interested parties might consider:

* Geneman (Reggae)

* Newworldson (R&B, Soul, Gospel, Reggae, Caribbean)

* Daniel Amos Band (best album IMHO-- "Vox Humana")

* Earthsuit, and the follow-up band, Mute Math (Indie Pop/Rock/Multi-Genre)

* Jonathan Maracle (Native American Rock/Worship)

GJ

Hillsong has produced some great worship music. Darlene Zschech, while no longer with Hillsong, was a large part of that.
I'm more into Gospel tho...even Christian rap and hip-hop. Some real fine and faithful artists there.

Back
Top Bottom