Christmas trees and Listening Spaces

3kitty

Whether a dedicated listening room or a more general location let's have a look at your Christmas tree....

We have to put ours in my dedicated space other wise our 2 cats will....well you know!

They are only allowed in there when I (we) are in the room....

Paige says ..... Merry Christmas to All .....as do I

I thought this was a thread about how a Christmas tree affects the sound in your listening space. Being that, I will comment as such. I have found that having a Christmas tree in the room does not make Christmas music sound any worse.

I have found that having a Christmas tree in the room does not make Christmas music sound any worse.

Nor does it make it sound any better ;) I'm no Grinch, but some of this sappy-ass crap from "modern" pop singers is equally nauseating as the Hallmark channel "original movies" on cable from Thanksgiving through New Year's--you know--the ones that no one else would pay to make.

xmastree.jpg

Last edited:
I need to find my copy of "Baby it's Cold Outside" to see if it is more offensive with or without the tree. Then I will play "Santa Baby", "Strangers in the Night" and a few other songs that probably offend someone.

What is your least favorite Christmas song? Mine used to be "Little Drummer Boy" But now "Last Christmas" has me running for the station dial.

My family room/listening room is a frickin' wreck lately, so I'll post a photo in a few days.
Nor does it make it sound any better ;) I'm no Grinch, but some of this sappy-ass crap from "modern" pop singers is equally nauseating as the Hallmark channel "original movies" on cable from Thanksgiving through New Year's--you know--the ones that no one else would pay to make.
Read my mind there! :D What's sad is that the two new Xmas releases I bought this year are largely overlooked by the so-called "experts" who program radio and satellite (that plays in retail environments), and many will not be able to hear them otherwise. On the other hand, that is a good thing.

I've called some of this newer dreck "A Crack Ho Christmas" or "A Sh!t-kicker Christmas," which bugs my better half. :D (Or as my buddy once said to his wife about one of her favorite singers..."Oh, listen...it's Michael Bolton...screaming 'Silent Night'!" :D )
What is your least favorite Christmas song? Mine used to be "Little Drummer Boy" But now "Last Christmas" has me running for the station dial.
I agree. I really liked it when it was first released, but now it's been slaughtered by too many current artists, and the original is overplayed. Same with McCartney's "Wonderful Christmastime." I first heard it several years ago (not much of a Macca fan, so I was unaware of it) and thought it was cool hearing something "new" (to me) that hadn't been played to death. Then radio and retail killed it, and it's a freakin' cliché.

I think what bothers me most is that the repertoire of Xmas "standards" is so narrow--there are maybe three or four dozen core songs, and everyone has done them. Even the no-talent hacks I alluded to above. So I happen to gravitate towards the unusual, the underplayed and new recordings that contain mostly original tunes on them, and choose only the very best, or my favorites, among the standards.

My two new favorites this year were JD McPherson's Socks, and Hey! Merry Christmas by The Mavericks which is like a ten-track holiday party. :) I also grabbed the Sharon Jones It's A Holiday Soul Party and while I like her singing a lot, I found the Dap-Kings band didn't have much soul--kind of bland and lifeless IMHO. She deserved better.

Whether a dedicated listening room or a more general location let's have a look at your Christmas tree....

We have to put ours in my dedicated space other wise our 2 cats will....well you know!

They are only allowed in there when I (we) are in the room....

Paige says ..... Merry Christmas to All .....as do I

3kitty: You do realize that you (unintentionally?) just created a unique, potentially profitable "side hustle?" Of the two photos you posted, the second one featuring Paige is simply majestic. Advice: Take a series of additional photos of her around the house and commence to set up a portrait studio for cats. The lighting from the tree, wall color, and her position on the tree skirt simply screams "framed portrait." You may not run larger providers such as Sears/J.C. Penney/Wal-Mart out of business, but you can surely carve out your own niche in the field. ;)

3kitty: You do realize that you (unintentionally?) just created a unique, potentially profitable "side hustle?" Of the two photos you posted, the second one featuring Paige is simply majestic. Advice: Take a series of additional photos of her around the house and commence to set up a portrait studio for cats. The lighting from the tree, wall color, and her position on the tree skirt simply screams "framed portrait." You may not run larger providers such as Sears/J.C. Penney/Wal-Mart out of business, but you can surely carve out your own niche in the field. ;)

Too funny.....you mean like this?

...or this?

Now I'm kidding!
Thanks, that's very kind but I know ZERO about photography .... I take my iPhone (6S at that) and point and shoot and hope for the best. Sometimes it's not bad and sometimes not so much.

But maybe I will give your suggestion some thought :)

Happy New Year!

Too funny.....you mean like this?
Happy New Year!
Exactly like that! The series could be titled A Life in the Day of Paige, an Audiofeline.

Synopsis
: Paige, an inhabitant of the Great White North, casually saunters around her owner's domicile in provincial Manitoba off the shore of Lake Winnipeg serving as the ultimate listening companion. Unbeknownst to her owner, her concise hearing extends well beyond his range, thus concealing her ulterior motive: Paige positions herself on various components, pieces of furniture, and at random locations in the room so as to test the resolution of her owner's audio system. To the untrained observer, she's simply taking cat naps and seeking sources of warmth. Those in the know realize she's listening for abberant reflections, standing waves, and frequency bumps in her domain. Her acute aural perception, slimlined torso, and lightning fast reflexes serve as the ultimate in room correction - executed with grace and style!

Purchase your copy of Audiofeline in a beautiful hardcover book for $29.95. It makes for a beautiful, unique conversation piece while gracing one's coffee table. For the on-the-go type with more of a digital bent, the series of well-shot, high resolution color photos with captioning, detailed explanations, and footnotes is also available in epub and mobi formats for one's Kindle for $21.95. Amazon Prime users can access the material for $0.00 with an unlimited number of reads.

Long-winded attempt at humor aside, the photos, iPhone derived or not, are very nice and relaxing on the eye. Paige is a beautiful cat and is probably a joy to have around the house, especially during this time of year when the majority of inhabitants of the region probably spend as much time indoors as possible above and beyond working and/or running errands. I hope Christmas went well for you and for you to have a Happy New Year in return.

Exactly like that! The series could be titled A Life in the Day of Paige, an Audiofeline.

Synopsis
: Paige, an inhabitant of the Great White North, casually saunters around her owner's domicile in provincial Manitoba off the shore of Lake Winnipeg serving as the ultimate listening companion. Unbeknownst to her owner, her concise hearing extends well beyond his range, thus concealing her ulterior motive: Paige positions herself on various components, pieces of furniture, and at random locations in the room so as to test the resolution of her owner's audio system. To the untrained observer, she's simply taking cat naps and seeking sources of warmth. Those in the know realize she's listening for abberant reflections, standing waves, and frequency bumps in her domain. Her acute aural perception, slimlined torso, and lightning fast reflexes serve as the ultimate in room correction - executed with grace and style!

Purchase your copy of Audiofeline in a beautiful hardcover book for $29.95. It makes for a beautiful, unique conversation piece while gracing one's coffee table. For the on-the-go type with more of a digital bent, the series of well-shot, high resolution color photos with captioning, detailed explanations, and footnotes is also available in epub and mobi formats for one's Kindle for $21.95. Amazon Prime users can access the material for $0.00 with an unlimited number of reads.

Long-winded attempt at humor aside, the photos, iPhone derived or not, are very nice and relaxing on the eye. Paige is a beautiful cat and is probably a joy to have around the house, especially during this time of year when the majority of inhabitants of the region probably spend as much time indoors as possible above and beyond working and/or running errands. I hope Christmas went well for you and for you to have a Happy New Year in return.

That's Fantastic!! I tried to see your profile but right now I get an error.
Wondered if you might be a writer?

Well done Synopsis!!

Thx - Paige is lovely and Yes a real privilege to have her here.....she's a rescue from a local shelter.
Her start was precarious .... found beaten half to death by a passer by who saw a group of teens kicking something. He had the (guts) to approach and they fled and there was Paige ..... pretty well gone. He rushed her to a vet and they did what they could do and called the shelter to see if they would take a long term recovery cat. Paige was pregnant and also lost her litter. They did without hesitation and after a long term recovery period and some time in a foster home we got her at around 2 years old. She was very untrusting ..... stand offish .... didn't hear her purr for over a year .... didn't jump on our lap for well over a year and half - now you wouldn't recognize her. She has softened so much .... purrs like mad .....jumps in our lap....greets people at the door (everyone). She knows she's safe.... and HOME!!

Be well Sir!!

Back
Top Bottom