Chromecast Audio discontinued

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by Tbone289, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Tbone289

Tbone289 Schiit/Creek Subscriber

Please register to disable this ad.

2. mgosdin

mgosdin Well-Known Member

Not all that big a surprise with the $15 price tag that it's for the past couple of months.

I bought one during the pre-Christmas sales, wonder if I can justify a second one?

Mark Gosdin

3. OutlawSun

OutlawSun Active Member

Probably worth having around as a spare.

4. Tbone289

My thoughts as well and no, it's really no surprise. Mine are for occasional use--one at home, one for travel. I bought two more.

5. Gnesen

Gnesen AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've had one for a couple of years and it has generally worked great (aside from some glitches that are probably due to my controlling it through my iPhone). The optical audio out is a nice touch, though I usually just rely on the internal DAC/analog out. Anyway, I decided to pick up another as a spare.

6. cpt_paranoia

cpt_paranoia Super Member

I struggle to understand Google at times. They behave like a child with a new toy, getting bored and discarding it.

I guess they decided it wasn't good enough at collecting data about us that they could earn money from

7. Tbone289

The internal DAC sounds very good, IMO. The systems I pair it with generally don't resolve well enough to benefit from the optical out. I've never experienced any glitches with mine in the few years I've been using them. My only real gripe is that Chromecast requires an internet connection back to the "mother ship", even when streaming audio from a LAN.

8. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

Well, it had some major design flaws that could not be fixed and there is no profit in making them. The USB version is gone not the HDMI version.

9. Tbone289

The Chromecast AUDIO is discontinued. It isn't USB or HDMI. In fact, I don't believe there ever was a "USB" version of any Chromecast. Generation 1 was HDMI. I have 3 of those, and they have have been running flawlessly for years.

cpt_paranoia likes this.
  10. tom1066

tom1066 Chum is Fum. Subscriber

...and they now appear sold out just about everywhere. I would have liked to have picked up a couple of extra ones, esp for 15 bucks a piece.

60 Cycle Hum likes this.
  11. Beatnik

Beatnik What's this ?

Does that mean it will soon be a paper weight like my nexus tablet ?

KDAC likes this.

12. chicks

chicks Lunatic Member

Staples might still have them.
    Just grabbed another one on the Google Store. $15 + $3.99 shipping, no longer free. Oh well.

They never worked very well casting from a phone app, would go out of synch, then were a pain to kill the stream. With the Google Home Hub, though, they work perfectly, sending audio by default to audio system while the Hub displays the current song.

Edit: Now showing out of stock again, I probably grabbed the last one, or someone cancelled an order.

13. Tbone289

Shipping is still free for an order of $35 or more. I believe that's how it's always been at the Google store.

I always use the Google Play Music or BubbleUPnP phone apps with mine, and I've never had any sync/glitch issues at all.

chicks likes this.
  14. drew_t

drew_t AK Subscriber Subscriber

And the child has 17 arms, each one of which has no idea what the other 16 are doing.

This is so dumb. The CCA is a good, useful product. Why not at least keep it around as a Play Store item?

BDylanThomas and cpt_paranoia like this.
  15. chicks

chicks Lunatic Member

May have been an issue with the Pandora app then, dunno. Working great with the Hub in the home office into a pair of powered monitors. Listen via this setup most every day.

16. Saalor

Saalor Active Member

I bought my third CCA on discount at Christmas as a backup - perhaps for use on the patio in the summer. I have never had any problems except they do not play Gapless with BubbleUP, however HifiCast app does manage Gapless playback on the CCA while maintaining a bitperfect stream

As supported by archimago.blogspot.com/, the CCA's internal dac is quite respectable. I highly recommend the CCA.

17. hnash53

hnash53 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've got three of them now.

But I am looking to the future.

Are there any substitutes for the Chromecast Audio? If I didn't have a CCA, what else is out there that can do the same thing for not a lot of money???

Thanks for your suggestions.

18. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

Well, CCA has a few flaws and that is partially why it was discontinued. No way to fix it.

19. hnash53

hnash53 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Can you give some examples of its "flaws"?

awillia6 and cpt_paranoia like this.
  20. Stefan Wood

Stefan Wood AK Subscriber Subscriber

Bought 4 before Christmas. No issues whatsoever.