Chromecast Audio discontinued

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by Tbone289, Jan 11, 2019 at 1:17 PM.

1. invaderzim

invaderzim AK Subscriber Subscriber

bang4buck and cpt_paranoia like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Saalor

Saalor Active Member

You can use a Rasberry Pi loaded with some free software like Rune or Volumio. If you don't have a DAC to connect to it there are some inexpensive DAC add-ons for the PI like HiFiBerryDAC

3. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Super Member

But, isn't the whole 'pi' thing kinda a diy project with several add'l bits and pieces required, and configuration tasks?

Not really the same as a CCA: buy, connect, and play.

GChief and hnash53 like this.
  4. bang4buck

bang4buck Well-Known Member

Wow. For once I did not snooze and lose. I bought two that just arrived yesterday. They were $15 each with free shipping on eBay, from Google. Which actually ticked me off because shipping is not free on the Google store so WTF? Looks like this listing is gone now.

I already had a Pi setup running Musicbox. I found it easy enough, and I'm far from a Linux geek, but it does take more time and initiative than the CCA. Mine is an older issue and takes forever to boot, then it will cut out a few times in the first couple of minutes. Sounds great, though (HDMI into a basic Yamaha receiver).

awillia6 likes this.
  5. chicks

chicks Lunatic Member

Amazon has been expanding their infrastructure lately. You can cast to the inexpensive Dot from your phone using Alexa Cast. Currently only supports Amazon Music, but I expect they’ll expand it to Spotify, Deezer, etc. Amazon has always been good about opening their APIs, so perhaps they’ll let the likes of BubbleUPnP eventually cast using Alexa Cast.

Also there are several low cost UPnP/DLNA receivers on Amazon, with apps that can connect to NAS and cloud services. No idea how well they work, but might be worth a try.

https://www.amazon.com/M5-Wireless-...artRadio/dp/B06WRSXVBR/ref=asc_df_B06WRSXVBR/

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 8:52 PM
  6. TheBone1

TheBone1 New Member

I just bought one based upon recommendations and it has already shipped. Wish me luck that it will improve the sound of streaming versus my $60 Harmon Kardon Bluetooth...!!!

7. EngineerNate

EngineerNate AK Subscriber Subscriber

Disappointed by this.

Calypte likes this.
  8. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

The CCA was easily hacked so that someone could play something else on the screen.

9. mprince

mprince AK Subscriber Subscriber

Provided that one's internet router allowed an outsider in by leaving defined ports open. An important but conveniently omitted piece of information...

10. cpt_paranoia

cpt_paranoia Super Member

It's been explained a number of times: this is an exploitation of poor router security.

EngineerNate likes this.
  11. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

You don't understand, if there was no hole, you couldn't take over even with poor security. A flaw is a flaw. There was no way to fix it.

12. cpt_paranoia

cpt_paranoia Super Member

13. Andyman

Andyman Scroungus Stereophilus Subscriber

So how is this different/better than a Bluetooth dongle???

14. grillebilly

grillebilly Empty Head Subscriber

Out of stock at the Google store. Anyone else find a sale price PM me please.

15. EngineerNate

It's a device designed not to be exposed to the internet. It's not a hole, it was designed to operate without authentication so that any and all devices on an internal home network could operate it without hassle. If you're giving strangers from the internet unrestricted access to your home network... That's really on you. If router manufacturers had their shit together we wouldn't even be discussing this.

In any case, the "hole" affects all Chromecast devices including the video capable version so I'd this were really the cause they'd be discontinuing all of them.

It'd also be incredibly easy to push an update that made the Chromecast only respond to commands coming from a registered device or linked Google account, so IMHO the recent reporting on the "hack" and the discontinuation are completely unrelated.

As a side note-any device that lets you push content to it without a login is susceptible this type of manipulation. The Chromecast is simply one of the most popular ones on the market so the hackers used it as their example. It could have been Rokus or FireTV sticks (before they killed the case functionality due to their idiotic feud with Google) or another less common device.

Your router shouldn't be blindly exposing your LAN to the internet. Period.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 5:03 PM
    GChief, +48V, awillia6 and 3 others like this.
  16. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier Subscriber

Bluetooth sucks ass for audio--it compresses the data (lossy, like MP3--that's just how its underlying technology works). Bluetooth's AptX spec is supposed to be better, but few devices support it. (Nobody really cares--the kiddies with their wireless Bluetooth don't give a rat's ass about sound quality.)

CCA can pass through up to 24/96 lossless, and will pass through lossless audio from Deezer, Qobuz and Tidal if available. It's also less bother than getting Bluetooth to work--I've had Bluetooth in my life for 10 years now and it's still flaky to keep devices connected and operating properly. The CCA has its hiccups also but nothing nearly as bad, in my experience. The two I use regularly were set up last time over a year ago and have worked perfectly since.

I should do a shootout with the CCA and the Oppo (or whatever I have on hand at the time) when I possibly host the November SMAC meet this year. I even have a Bluetooth audio adapter I can demonstrate sounds terrible compared to the lossless options. :)

17. Wildcat

Thanks for clarifying, and I agree totally. Any sane I.T. person knows that everything is to be assumed unsafe. There is not one single thing on this planet of ours that is safe when it is connected to a network. Nothing. No OS, no computer, no phone or tablet, no router...nothing. That is why we buy the right hardware and software, then harden everything so these intrusions do not occur. Are some less prone than others? Nope. More popular hardware is what a hacker will attack first. Why bother hacking 1,000 devices when you can hack 20,000 with the same amount of code?

Things are bottled up as securely as I can make them here. Not at all worried about these faux "bugs."

18. grillebilly

grillebilly Empty Head Subscriber

How do you keep people from breaking into my house when they live so far away?

-Bob Mould of Husker Du "Divide and Conquer"

19. EngineerNate

Same. I'm running a software UTM with some serious horses behind it so that it never affects the wife's Netflix. :D

20. Wildcat

Don't ever touch the better half's Netflix. We're talking WW III here. Prepare the bunkers. :D

mprince and EngineerNate like this.