Chromecast Audio discontinued

It doesn't work like that, and there's no simple way to do what you're proposing in real time.

1-You'll need to output your analog source into an ADC, connected to a PC. A USB audio interface is the best.

2-Install this onto the PC with a USB audio interface https://github.com/SamDel/ChromeCast-Desktop-Audio-Streamer/releases

3-Setup the CCA on the system that you want to play.

4-From the PC with the USB audio interface, Connect it to the CCA upstairs with Chromecast desktop audio streamer.

5-From the PC with the USB audio interface, in sound properties in control panel, set it to "listen" to the USB audio interface, make sure analog source is playing.

There will be around a 8-10 second delay

Installed the latest release and windows installer but windows will not let it run. hmmmm

Don't know what to tell you, did you download the installer? It installed fine, but won't run? How about after a restart?

Once it's able to run, it should detect any Chromecast devices on your network. Then it's just a matter of clicking play on the device(s) of your choosing, and all your windows sound should stream to the respective devices, with a delay.

Don't know what to tell you, did you download the installer? It installed fine, but won't run? How about after a restart?

Once it's able to run, it should detect any Chromecast devices on your network. Then it's just a matter of clicking play on the device(s) of your choosing, and all your windows sound should stream to the respective devices, with a delay.

Going to look into it more after they arrive. Thanks.

I got the one I ordered from Google, on Sunday, for $15 last night. Not sure what I'll do with it before spring .

Three of them got delivered to me today, from my original 5. It was strange how the first two showed up next business day, while the last 3 showing up a week and a half later. Original 2 came from CA, these 3 came from IL.

Google Home integration? I'm exactly the person google wants - I use all the their products, don't care about privacy (well, a little) and am now officially spoiled.
Can I talk to that dongle?

People worry so much about privacy.... do they really believe anyone else honestly cares about their everyday life? I'm rocking a facebook portal over here! If Facebook wants to watch me sit on my couch to watch TV, listen to music, or read or ;-) then so be it. They can knock their socks off.

I managed to find one on craigslist for $15. I hate Google so very much sometimes... *take off google glasses to cry, accidentally snaps picture, uploads it to Picasa, shares with friends on Google Plus, copies to his Nexus, pays for prints with his Google Wallet Debit Card.

People worry so much about privacy.... do they really believe anyone else honestly cares about their everyday life?
Yes, there are a lot of people that care about this information...insurance companies, governments, politicians, institutions that loan money, employers, hackers, etc. We are just at the beginning of this mass data collection and we really don't know where it will all lead.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/24/18017842/tim-cook-data-privacy-laws-us-speech-brussels

I use a lot of these devices and services,but I would love more transparency on where my data is going and the ability to opt out of it.... or the 4 key things that are being advocated for:

"the right to have personal data minimized; the right for users to know what data is collected on them; the right to access that data; and the right for that data to be kept securely."

Yes, there are a lot of people that care about this information...insurance companies, governments, politicians, institutions that loan money, employers, hackers, etc. We are just at the beginning of this mass data collection and we really don't know where it will all lead.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/24/18017842/tim-cook-data-privacy-laws-us-speech-brussels

I use a lot of these devices and services,but I would love more transparency on where my data is going and the ability to opt out of it.... or the 4 key things that are being advocated for:

"the right to have personal data minimized; the right for users to know what data is collected on them; the right to access that data; and the right for that data to be kept securely."

I am a very private person and keep my Echo wallwart connected to a switched adapter at the end of an extension cord. The switch lights up when powered on so I can easily tell when Alexa is listening. I am into home automation but use other methods/apps and don't need the voice interface. I agree there needs to be more transparency with the data these devices collect. Until we have that the Echo sits unpowered most of the time.

And then, there's this story... "Alexa, What Is Probable Cause?"

I have one, sounds quality is...well, it’s sound.

I then used an ifi I purifier and Schitt multibit dac to stream tidal and that was much better

It’s nkt surprising, as people who don’t care about sound quality just just Bluetooth.

The chromecast audio needed to be able to pick up an mqa stream and send it to an MQA dac.

Then all bases could be covered in the device.

It’s a great alternative to airplay though. I don’t know how else I would stream directly from the tidal app to my stereo on an android phone? On my iPhone I’d need to buy some airplay dongle would would be a bunch more. And I refuse to use external streaming apps. I use the tidal app. External apps are annoying

I have one, sounds quality is...well, it’s sound.

I then used an ifi I purifier and Schitt multibit dac to stream tidal and that was much better

It’s nkt surprising, as people who don’t care about sound quality just just Bluetooth.

The chromecast audio needed to be able to pick up an mqa stream and send it to an MQA dac.

Then all bases could be covered in the device.

It’s a great alternative to airplay though. I don’t know how else I would stream directly from the tidal app to my stereo on an android phone? On my iPhone I’d need to buy some airplay dongle would would be a bunch more. And I refuse to use external streaming apps. I use the tidal app. External apps are annoying

Yes, that was the benefit, it was cheap. On the iPhone side of the aisle, it was limiting, though. It only worked with some apps instead of all of them which limits it compared to Airplay and Bluetooth.

I really have no idea why they discontinued it. It was priced so low that they were never going to make much money on it anyway. However, it made the Home devices much more useful, which you would think would have kept it around just for the ecosystem. However, this is Google, so I am not surprised. They have a lot of good ideas that end up in the trash heap.

I guess people will be looking for HDMI to optical/coax converters for systems/DACs that don't have HDMI inputs and just use the regular Chromecast. Personally, I have a CA, but don't ever use it. I had planned to take it to the girlfriends place since she uses Android, but I have to get behind a bookshelf and it will be a hassle. Anyway, if someone want to by it for $1000, I will make that effort. :p

I have a bunch of CCA's. Any idea how long the software to keep them working will be supported? I.e. when will we not be able to use our existing CCA's anymore?

I have a bunch of CCA's. Any idea how long the software to keep them working will be supported? I.e. when will we not be able to use our existing CCA's anymore?

I respect Google's perogative to discontinue manufacturing and selling any of their hardware but since I have three of the CCAs (plus some assistants) I'm angsty about future support. Under most conditions you need internet (not just wifi) to stream. If a month from now the device pings the mothership and mama google doesn't pick up do they stop functioning? If so they become truly worthless 'cause they're too small for doorstops.

Imagine buying a Google self-driving car that stops working because G ends updates for the GPS

Last edited:

The CCA is a subset of the CC video. The biggest difference is the video output instead of audio. But you can still cast audio to the CC video device. Google is not planning on discontinuing the CC video. The recently introduced the Ultra. That means support for the CCA is assured for a while. Probably longer than the hardware itself.

Back
Top Bottom