Chromecast Audio discontinued

Meh. I was using a CCA in the shop, optical out to a schiit modi. I got tired of not being able to control it whenever my iPhone decided to lose connection to my WiFi and replaced it with an old laptop connected to the modi via usb. For my purposes, is much more stable. Looks like it might soon be time to put my CCA up on eBay, especially at those prices. :p

I have a bunch of CCA's. Any idea how long the software to keep them working will be supported? I.e. when will we not be able to use our existing CCA's anymore?

I have no idea, but Google quietly REMOVED the Chrome browser extension for casting web page audio to the CCA. This pisses me off. I understand not supporting future development, but to remove an already active feature isn’t cool.

I have no idea, but Google quietly REMOVED the Chrome browser extension for casting web page audio to the CCA. This pisses me off. I understand not supporting future development, but to remove an already active feature isn’t cool.

Removed where? Working fine for me, in ChromeOS.

Casting from the Chrome browser caused terrible audio performance, most likely because it is using a lossy compression. See the CCA review at Audio Science Review.

Casting from the Chrome browser caused terrible audio performance, most likely because it is using a lossy compression. See the CCA review at Audio Science Review.
Depends on whether you select to cast the tab, screen, or source. Casting the source retains the quality of the source. At least on ChromeOS, I have no idea on other OS.

I think it was casting the tab/screen, rather than actually getting the source to redirect to the CCA. i.e. it is interrupting the audio stream from tab playback to PC audio, encoding it with a lossy codec, and sending to the CCA.

Back
Top Bottom