CHROMECAST AUDIO

mpribble

Anybody using one of these in there system? If so how do you have yours hooked up dac or rca cables to receiver? Do you have full dynamic range on or off? Thanks

I just grabbed one to stream to my garage stereo where I workout - the sound quality was fine. The problem is I cannot stream from my spotify desktop to my stereo. Apparently you have to be a premium user to stream from mobile devices and tablets. I did discover that you can use an app called Allcast to stream stuff from itunes.

The strange thing is that you can stream free spotify to the video chromecast. I did it yesterday off the ipad to the TV no problem. So I'm considering buying a video one, running an hdmi to rca converter and streaming spotify that way.

I've only played with it like twice but so far that's what I've come up with.

Anybody using one of these in there system? If so how do you have yours hooked up dac or rca cables to receiver? Do you have full dynamic range on or off? Thanks

I generally use the analog out to my Fisher 500B. Sounds pretty good casting Pandora. I also have a toslink cable to my DAC but I'm typically too lazy to turn on the DAC. Full Dynamic Range is ON. App is most reliable on Android. iOS is flaky in my experience.

I also use the optional ethernet adaptor.

I use one to stream my local files to my DAC with it. I bought it to replace my airport express, so I can do hi-res files. It's kind of a pain, since I have to use logitech media server to do it, but it works fine. I need to invest in the ethernet adapter soon, since it likes to randomly drops packets every so often, resulting in skipping or pauses.

RCA cables direct to a receiver or amp. Full dynamic range on sounds best to me. I've done the Chromcast video>RCA converter thing in the past, and it worked fine. I don't use any apps that the audio version doesn't work with, however. I typically cast from Google Play music, Pandora, Tunein Radio or Bubble UPnP to my Chromecast audio. I only use Chromecasts on lower-resolution secondary systems (e.g. bedroom, kitchen, hotel room)

Last edited:
I bought two for Christmas ... a $55 sub for the $2000 Mac music server I just built? I have to know how it compares to the two $350 Sonos connects I'm running in the house. I have a Mini Toslink to Toslink cable on the way from Monoproce. I will post again after I test it out.

Been listening to mine with rca cables to back of pioneer sx-980 and Advent 5012's speakers. I'm using Spotify premium with is set to high quality can't really tell the difference with extreme quality on. As far as chromecast with the full dynamic range on to me it sounds just louder maybe brighter then with it off. Less I'm doing something wrong here my system is some what new in this listing room. Still playing around with speaker placement trying to get the bass a little tighter.

I run mine via toslink into an Emotiva XDA-2 DAC/preamp to a Crown XLS 1500 to my Polk SDA SRS 2. I run Spotify from my phone at extreme quality. Sounds great. I always have high dynamic range on. Been running for a couple months now. The first few weeks I was having trouble connecting my phone to it sometimes, but that hasn't been an issue for a while now.

My only issue with it is that Tidal's iOS app doesn't support casting yet. Supposedly it will soon.

This setup caused me to sell my turntable, receiver, and CD player. I've decided to never buy music or listen to an analog source ever again. Simpler setup, simpler audio signal path, greater convenience, and less cost in the long run.

I will be running a similar setup :

Emotiva XSP-1 Pre to Emotiva XDA2 DAC - Carver ZX-1000 ... Klipsch Belle with JBL MPRO 18" Subs. I'll use the TOSlink connection and control from my Android phone. I have discovered one glitch so far in my test setup. The unit works fine when streaming Pandora but I cant seem to stream files from my NAS server. I run ES File Explorer and tie right to the music share, I can stream FLAC files to the "Chromecast Player" app but it wont pass the music to the Chromecast Audio unit. It seems odd the Chromecast player doesn't pass all signal straight to the Chromecast audio? The optical cable should be here today so I get to fire it up in the mancave. It's not bad but nowhere near the Sonos as far as ease of use or functionality. I realize it's about 1/10th the price BUT I cant see it replacing the Sonos anytime soon. Too bad - I got the player to play 24/96 HD Tracks - sure would be nice to hear the system blasting out Warren Zevon in HD but no go, so far. I tried BS Player, Google Player and the Chromecast Player. The Chromecast player tries to connects but just stalls out. I cant even get local songs stored on the phone to play. I must be doing something wrong. I know the network settings and authentication is good because Pardora streams fine.

Any one get FLAC or MP3 files to stream to it?

If I get this little glitch figured out I might have a giant killer.

I can't speak to Chromecast reliability with a NAS server. That's one of the reasons I abandoned my music collection, so I only deal with a simple streaming service.

But is there any reason why you're running your XSP-1 into the XDA2? Seems like it would make more sense to run the Chromecast into the XDA, then the XDA into the XSP. I assume you want the XSP in there because you're running a turntable or other analog source and/or want some tone controls? Otherwise you could remove the XSP altogether. I'm sure it's a fine unit, but the XDA and your Carver are all you need to use the Chromecast.

My original Chromecast only lasted about six months and even then, it would require being reconnected each and every time it was used. I would hope the new hardware is more reliable.

Anyway, there is something called BubbleUPnP Server that can be installed on a NAS to provide additional connectivity on top of a DLNA/UPnP server. It works in tandem with BubbleUPnP on a device. It is available as a Synology module, so I don't know if it is available for others, or what it requires. I do not run it, but keep it installed (and inactive) so it is ready to go if I try another Chromecast. As I have a best buy gift card, I might pick up the Chromecast Audio to use on a remote system, so I can stream my NAS files.

I will be curious to see if Chromecast can play 24/88.2, 24/176.4 and 24/192 files. I had another media player that simply would mute when playing some of these files, while it would downsample others. I don't care if Chromecast downsamples, as on a remote system the sound quality is not the #1 priority. I just don't want it going mute if it comes across a sampling rate it does not normally handle.

For remote systems, I just found it easier to run BubbleUPnP on a device, then use one of those Bluetooth audio adapters with the NFC connection feature--just tape the device to the Bluetooth receiver and it pairs/connects. Bluetooth audio doesn't sound the best but again, on a remote system like an old boombox or kitchen audio system as background music, it will not be noticed. It is a lot less bother, actually, since there is no worrying about sampling rates, network connectivity, etc. (Maybe I just talked myself out of buying the Chromecast Audio...again. :D )

What are some decent DACs under $200 that you can use with the CCA? Right now girlfriend's system includes one for streaming Spotify premium from our phones, high dynamic range on, to the RCA in of a Yamaha R-S201 and Acoustic Research AR7 speakers. It works great for a bedroom system. When we move in together is when I want to add a DAC as we'll be using her receiver and CCA with some bigger speakers as a living room system.

My original Chromecast only lasted about six months and even then, it would require being reconnected each and every time it was used. I would hope the new hardware is more reliable.

I've been running three of the original Chromecasts in my home for over a year and, barring network issues or changes in configuration, I've never had to reboot one. I've also had an audio version for about 6 months that likewise has been running without issue. I would say that they are reliable.

Well, the DAC in the CCA is quite decent...

Do you think there would be any better SQ with a external DAC ? Don't get me wrong streaming Spotify premium thought the CCA sounds pretty good to my ears. Just want to know if I missing something if I run it thought a DAC say like a Peachtree DAC.

Spotify Premium is 320kps Ogg Vorbis. I doubt that an external DAC is going to resolve more than the DAC in the CCA from that source.

I will be running a similar setup :

Emotiva XSP-1 Pre to Emotiva XDA2 DAC - Carver ZX-1000 ... Klipsch Belle with JBL MPRO 18" Subs. I'll use the TOSlink connection and control from my Android phone. I have discovered one glitch so far in my test setup. The unit works fine when streaming Pandora but I cant seem to stream files from my NAS server. I run ES File Explorer and tie right to the music share, I can stream FLAC files to the "Chromecast Player" app but it wont pass the music to the Chromecast Audio unit. It seems odd the Chromecast player doesn't pass all signal straight to the Chromecast audio? The optical cable should be here today so I get to fire it up in the mancave. It's not bad but nowhere near the Sonos as far as ease of use or functionality. I realize it's about 1/10th the price BUT I cant see it replacing the Sonos anytime soon. Too bad - I got the player to play 24/96 HD Tracks - sure would be nice to hear the system blasting out Warren Zevon in HD but no go, so far. I tried BS Player, Google Player and the Chromecast Player. The Chromecast player tries to connects but just stalls out. I cant even get local songs stored on the phone to play. I must be doing something wrong. I know the network settings and authentication is good because Pardora streams fine.

Any one get FLAC or MP3 files to stream to it?

If I get this little glitch figured out I might have a giant killer.

I was able to do it by using logitech media server, and the chromecast plugin. I didn't have it installed on a NAS, just on my laptop with all the music on it. It was kind of annoying, because the interface is clunky and queuing music is terrible on it. It works though, so hopefully something better will come along.

I run ES File Explorer and tie right to the music share, I can stream FLAC files to the "Chromecast Player" app but it wont pass the music to the Chromecast Audio unit. It seems odd the Chromecast player doesn't pass all signal straight to the Chromecast audio?

The Chromecast plugin for ES File Explorer doesn't work on CCAs at this point. If you look at the details on the Play Store, it was published a long time ago and is still on version 1.0. I emailed the developer and asked if they intend to update it to work with CCA, but got no response.

BubbleUPnP is your best bet to stream the mp3s and flacs at this point.

BubbleUPnP is your best bet to stream the mp3s and flacs at this point.

+1. BubbleUPnP works perfectly for this and has a great interface. It also handles cloud services such as Google Play Music, Dropbox and Google Drive all in one app.

I've been running three of the original Chromecasts in my home for over a year and, barring network issues or changes in configuration, I've never had to reboot one. I've also had an audio version for about 6 months that likewise has been running without issue. I would say that they are reliable.
There's a chance I just had a bad unit.

I actually would get more use out of CCA, as I don't stream movies (I only rarely watch video). And in my main system, I have no use for it since what little audio I stream online is from Tidal or Pandora.

Back
Top Bottom