CHROMECAST AUDIO

That's why you don't have to worry about battery drain while casting. It works the same way as a regular Chromecast for Netflix and most other apps.

Yep, that's the advantage vs Bluetooth and AirPlay. A minor complaint is that it doesn't start up as quickly as AirPlay, sometimes it can take three attempts to get it to start. Then sometimes the casting app "forgets" that it's casting if it hasn't been active, and it's a pain to get it back in synch with the CCA. It ain't perfect yet, AirPlay still has some advantages, but it's a good deal better than the original CC was.

A good analogy is to view the CC app as a cable remote.

Last edited:
Yep, that's the advantage vs Bluetooth and AirPlay. A minor complaint is that it doesn't start up as quickly as AirPlay, sometimes it can take three attempts to get it to start. Then sometimes the casting app "forgets" that it's casting if it hasn't been active, and it's a pain to get it back in synch with the CCA. It ain't perfect yet, AirPlay still has some advantages, but it's a good deal better than the original CC was.

I've seen that casting app forgetfulness, it's definitely weird but easy to overcome.

My iPad has recently become very reliable at recognizing the CCA. And my brand new iPhone 6S is similarly adept as well. Has there been a firmware update? I've got 1.17a.49061.

I've heard Creation 5 recommended for iOS, would be interested if there are others (my wife and kids are Apple users, I know pretty much nuttin' about iStuff...)

I've heard Creation 5 recommended for iOS, would be interested if there are others (my wife and kids are Apple users, I know pretty much nuttin' about iStuff...)

I tried that, and didn't like it. It did not play half my songs, and the metadata was all messed up for some stuff.

I tried that, and didn't like it. It did not play half my songs, and the metadata was all messed up for some stuff.
Strange, I never had that issue (you may want to delete it and try downloading it again). Personally, I think an Airport Express is better for most iOS users (with decent wifi). However, you may want to try Plex if you have a way to run it on a computer/NAS.

Last edited:
I have pretty much switched back to airplay, but I do like the hi-res options in the Chromecast. Airplay is so simple though, just load up itunes and hit play and it's good to go.

Tried connecting the CCA two different ways:

1. a 3.5mm to 2 RCA stereo cable from the CCA device directly into the amp, and

2. a TOSLINK optical from the CCA device into the Marantz SA8005 then into the integrated amp, thereby using the Marantz's DAC.

Option 2 sounds a lot better. And I'm just streaming the free Google Play at this point.

Are you using the "full dynamic range" setting in the device settings menu?
Yes. In fact, I believe full dynamic range is always on when using TOSLINK out, regardless of the CCA device setting.

Last edited:
Anybody have an update on when Tidal will begin offering casting for their iOS app? I like my Chromecast Audio, but I hate not being able to use my iPhone for Tidal. Last I heard, Tidal was saying it would be available "in the early months of 2016." I'm kind of wishing I just went with an Airport Express instead.

I'm also running the CCA into my cambridge audio DAC via mini toslink. Streaming mostly spotify and google music through it. I think it sounds pretty darn good, though I do have a very revealing amplifier so I definitely hear the difference when I play FLACs through my dap.

Anybody have an update on when Tidal will begin offering casting for their iOS app? I like my Chromecast Audio, but I hate not being able to use my iPhone for Tidal. Last I heard, Tidal was saying it would be available "in the early months of 2016." I'm kind of wishing I just went with an Airport Express instead.

Not to hijack the thread but curious to hear from those who have used the AE & the CCA?

Tried the CCA on my home (Windows) network; first it repeatedly had issues maintaining the connection to my Android phone, then issues w/ connection to the network.

We have a pair of 2nd Gen Chromecast which work just fine.

The CCA went back

I emailed Tidal support on 1/27 and they said Chromecast support will be available within two months. I'll believe it when I see it.

Not to hijack the thread but curious to hear from those who have used the AE & the CCA?

Tried the CCA on my home (Windows) network; first it repeatedly had issues maintaining the connection to my Android phone, then issues w/ connection to the network.

We have a pair of 2nd Gen Chromecast which work just fine.

The CCA went back

I just picked up an Airport Express this weekend to try in place of the Chromecast, just because I'm so sick of using the Bubbleupnp to stream Tidal to the Chromecast. Man, that app sucks. All I want is to use my iPhone to stream Tidal. And currently the only way to do that is over AirPlay. The Airport Express is a cheap way to get AirPlay. Eventually Tidal will get casting support for iOS, but until then...

After a few days of listening, I can say that I'm impressed AND disappointed with the Airport Express. I'm impressed because it has a killer DAC onboard. I A/B'd it with my Emotiva DC-1 DAC, which gets very favorable reviews, especially for it's price ($500) and there was very little difference. The DC-1 might sound a little better, but I doubt I could pick them out blindly. One could run a 3.5mm analog cable from the AE directly into an integrated, or even simpler, run it directly into the amp like I did, because it puts out a line level voltage and not even mess with a separate DAC and probably be happy. I'm disappointed because I was plagued with constant dropouts from AirPlay. Now, this won't be everyone's issue, but I'm forced to run my AE wirelessly. You can plug in an Ethernet cable, but I'm not able to do that. So it connects wireless to my main router upstairs. The problem is that I never had issues with the Chromecast (also wireless). It would grab the track and stream away with no issues.

So I'm back to using the clunky Bubbleupnp app on my Android tablet with my Chromecast until Tidal can finally get native casting for iOS.

I just picked up an Airport Express this weekend to try in place of the Chromecast, just because I'm so sick of using the Bubbleupnp to stream Tidal to the Chromecast. Man, that app sucks. All I want is to use my iPhone to stream Tidal. And currently the only way to do that is over AirPlay. The Airport Express is a cheap way to get AirPlay. Eventually Tidal will get casting support for iOS, but until then...

After a few days of listening, I can say that I'm impressed AND disappointed with the Airport Express. I'm impressed because it has a killer DAC onboard. I A/B'd it with my Emotiva DC-1 DAC, which gets very favorable reviews, especially for it's price ($500) and there was very little difference. The DC-1 might sound a little better, but I doubt I could pick them out blindly. One could run a 3.5mm analog cable from the AE directly into an integrated, or even simpler, run it directly into the amp like I did, because it puts out a line level voltage and not even mess with a separate DAC and probably be happy. I'm disappointed because I was plagued with constant dropouts from AirPlay. Now, this won't be everyone's issue, but I'm forced to run my AE wirelessly. You can plug in an Ethernet cable, but I'm not able to do that. So it connects wireless to my main router upstairs. The problem is that I never had issues with the Chromecast (also wireless). It would grab the track and stream away with no issues.

So I'm back to using the clunky Bubbleupnp app on my Android tablet with my Chromecast until Tidal can finally get native casting for iOS.
The Airport Express uses twice the bandwidth of CA. The audio goes to your iPhone and then it is streamed from the iPhone back to the Airport Express. It may help to set the Airport Express up as an extender so that when your iPhone streams back to the router, it uses the Airport Express in the same room rather than the router downstairs. The other option would be a home plug ( power line Ethernet) or a wifi extender in your setup.

3X the bandwidth, actually. Router-> iPhone -> router -> Airport Express, so a good quality wifi router is required. Airplay is great for its simplicity, but requires a solid wifi infrastructure.

3X the bandwidth, actually. Router-> iPhone -> router -> Airport Express, so a good quality wifi router is required. Airplay is great for its simplicity, but requires a solid wifi infrastructure.
I guess if you set it up as an extender and Homeplug it only uses double the bandwidth (AE to Phone and Phone to AE)? Since the Airport Express extends the signal, it should also give the user a better signal in that area of the home.

Back
Top Bottom