Chromecast Video device not casting well...what's up with this?

hnash53

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I use a Chromecast Video device (the $35 one) to cast whatever from my Chromebook & smartphone to my TV.

I have noticed, however, that often the video on my personal device (Chromebook & smartphone) is smooth while the video on the TV screen is choppy.

Any way to improve this? Suggestions?

Thanks.

Hal Nash
Waldport OR

Your video may be choppy because the Chromecast device is having to work to change the resolution to the resolution of your TV. Try lowering the resolution on the device you are casting from.

It could also be an issue with Wi-Fi speed. What kind of router do you use, and what frequency does it support ie 2.4ghz , 5ghz?

I would say the WiFi signal is suspect--the Chromecasts are often tucked behind a television, next to a bunch of wiring and the TV's own electronics, which does not make for an ideal environment to send/receive WiFi signals. The only solution is to get better WiFi, but you might have luck with repositioning the Chromecast (hard, I know--might need an extension cable) or the wireless access point to improve reception.

It also helps to know which content you are casting to the Chromecast. LIke @eizner23 says, if the resolutions don't match, the Chromecast could be trying to downsample or adapt to what it can handle. (In my experience with the first-gen Chromecast, if it couldn't handle the resolution or file format, it would play nothing.)

I use the Chromecast on my Oppo, but only for audio services (Pandora, Tidal, TuneIn Radio).

Back
Top Bottom