Chronology of Speakers you've owned?

Some Readers Digest 8" full range jobs
Marantz imperial 5, then frankenspeakered 5.
Celestion Ditton 442
ADS 810/2
Meridian M10 with full modular preamp.
Thiel CS-3
Epicure model 20
Ohm F
Infinity Kappa 6
AR-9
Snell type A
JSE or Joseph speakers, had. 10" clear poly woofer, 4" poly midrange and a 1" dome tweet in oak veneer. About 2' tall and 50 lbs. can't remember the exact name or model.
Pyramid Metranome 3 with stands
Respons Grand
NHT 3.3, satin black
Shahinian Obelisk
Shahinian Arc
Princeton Acoustics PA-1 with Jordan drivers
Snell E-III
JBL L-110
Sony APM-6 with stands
B&W 801 series 80
B&W 802 S3
Linn Keltik
Custom made 2 box speakers based on Focal drivers. Big.
Genesis V
Celestion SL6Si
Celestion 100
Klipsch RB-75
Onkyo Monitor 500
Quad 12L
Platinum Solo
Spendor S 3/5
Escalante Juniper
FJ Acoustics Musix
Sony APM-4
Mach 1 Acoustics DM-10 SE
ElitE (TAD) TZ-9
Onkyo Scepter 5001
Phase Tech PC 3.1 Mk II (terrible)
PMC IB-1S
That's all I can think of for now.

I added 4, forgotten the first time I posted.

Digital Fidelity 3 way towers (still in garage)
Goodmans Triaxiom 212c -sold
Magnepan MG-IIb - sold
Realistic Nova 7b - in closet
Tannoy Saturn S-6 - Family member borrowed
Realistic Mach One - sold
Klipsch La Scala - system 1
Sansui SP-3005 - system 2

List doesn't include my various DIY efforts,

Sorry about the essay, but I’m sure there are many other AK’ers that could write a similar history. I've owned other speakers, but these were the daily drivers.

Around 11 years old
8" speaker on a piece of plywood
I got this with a Heathkit WM3, WA-P2 and Collaro TT for $20. I guess I was an early open-baffle kid. :idea:

Age 14
Homemade cabinets with a pair 8" Lafayette whizzer cones
My buddy and I built these to listen to the ABC Cal Jam concert telecast which was in stereo via FM radio simulcast (circa 1974). Cabinet size was determined by how much wood we had.

Age 15
DWD 3
Sunnyvale Electronics house brand, my first real speakers. Good warranty which came in handy when the voice coils overheated and the glue let go.

Age 16
Cerwin Vega 211r
CV's first entry into the home stereo market. Probably one of the best ever that they produced. Perfect speakers for a teenager, they traveled around and cranked tunes at many parties.

Age 19
Infinity Quantum 3
My first serious speakers. I guess my taste was growing up. Took them to college and after getting married to my first apartment and house. Suffered from a botched woofer re-foam and I ended up parting them out after around 22 years.

Age 42

NHT 2.5
Excellent performers but required plenty of power. I ran them with a GFA555. Moved to secondary system duty after acquiring my Magnepan’s. They lost out to my Fortes after extensive comparisons to find a perfect complement to my Magnepan’s. Sold them on Barter Town.

Age 52

Magnepan 2.5r
I installed Magnepan factory refurbished ribbon tweeters. Reglued loose wires and updated with new Dayton caps in the crossovers. These made my NHT’s look efficient. I finally settled on a Crown K2 power amp which outputs 800 watts per channel into 4 ohms. My understanding wife doesn’t mind having them setup in the family room so they have room to breathe. They still amaze me today, after 6 years of enjoyment.

Age 56

Klipsch Forte II
These beat out my NHT's for my “man cave” system. The NHT’s were much better all-around speakers but I wanted something that contrasted with the Magnepan presentation. My 13-year-old daughter summed it up best: “The NHT’s sound like really good speakers and the Klipsch sound like a concert.” I upgraded the tweeters with the Crites titanium diaphragms. I’m looking at the ALK crossovers, thinking about buying the parts and building them myself.

Last edited:
This one strained my memory circuits! There are overlaps in chronology.

1. EPI TE 320 (My first real speakers. Paid an arm and a leg for them when I was young and never really liked them. Learned a lesson there.)
2. MB Quart two way towers, can't remember the model. Decent enough.
3. Definitive Technology BP-10
4. Large Advent
5. Advent 1
6. Spica TC-50 (Excellent! Still have them)
7. Vandersteen 2ce (Still my main speakers)
8. Altec Model 14 (Had for years! Fun to play with, wife forced sale. House not big enough for them and Vandies)
9. JM Lab DB 19 (Love'em. Languishing in garage)
10. Infinity RS 3 (Gave to son)
11. Infinity Primus 250 (home theater set up)
12. NHT Sub 2 (Home theater duty, but partnered it for years with Spicas and a Stereo 70! Awesome!)
13. Klipsch RB-5ii (Got cheap on CL. Fooling around with them. I missed my Altecs and thought these could substitute. Nope.)
14. Polk 5jr (In a bedroom. I like them)

There are other small speakers I have owned. I have Klipsch KG2s doing garage duty. Mission 70s, Boston Acoustics HD 7, Infinity R-L, I give up...

Bose 501's
Rectilinear III LowBoys
Dahlquist DQ10's
B&W 684
RBH R55 Towers
KEF LS-50 (my current 2 channel speakers)

I can't remember all ,but here goes
Altec 612's with sectoral horns are modded crossovers
Yamaha ns-a77
Klipsch Heresy ll's
Klipsch Kg4
JBL L100t
JBL 4311
JBL 4560 with Selenium horns
B&W DM 7
AR 2ax
Technics something or other. Cool older two way speakers. Can't remember model

Nubert Nubox (still have them)
JBL XPL 140 (still have them)
Revox AX4-3 (gave them to my parents)
Revox AX5-4 (sold - fabulous speakers btw.)
Goodman Dimension 8 (still have them but guess I sell them)
JBL L90 (my main speakers)
JBL XPL 90 (still have them)
Klipsch Heresy II (the tube amp / jazz speakers)

I can't believe this thread has been here for 12 years and I haven't posted! Here's my list:

Main System

Smaller Advents
EPI 180
Dynaco A40XL
Dynaco A50
(back to Dynaco A40XL)
Acoustic Research 58B
Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble (when I had to move to a smaller place)
B&W 804 (first series)
Audio Concepts (ACI) Sapphire III
Audio Concepts Sapphire III Le
Paradigm Signature S2
(back to the Sapphire III Le)
Newform Research R645v3 (still in the main system after 10 years!)

Once I got to the point of having more than 1 system, I've had a few others in secondary systems

DBX Soundfield (model number forgotten)
Axiom M3
Mirage OMD-15 (currently in system #2)
Dynaco A-25 (currently in system #3 & #5)
Mirage OMD-5 (currently in system #4)
Role Audio Sampan FTL (currently waiting their turn in rotation again)
Audioengine 2 (currently in office at work)

(yes, that's a lot of system :) )

And a few I've had as surround or extension speakers:

Radio Shack (Minimus?) LX-5
Minimus 7

I'm quite sure about the main system chronology, may have had a few others pass through briefly in other systems

Advent loudspeaker
ADS L520
Stacked Advent loudspeakers

but I sure did like those L1530s I heard the other night!

Just the mains and I included the rough estimate years of when they were acquired

1986 Really crappy 12" 3 way from SunTV (later rebuilt/upgraded with replacement drivers)
1993 EPI Series 3 Model 70
1995 Infinity SM82
1997 Polk RT7
2006 Sansui SP-2000 (These were the first real speakers I ever heard as they were my father's)
2007 Stacked Large Advents
2010 Paradigm Studio 100 v2
2012 Aerial 5B & REL T3 Sub (the REL was replaced with dual SVS in 2015)

Some of you really go through the speakers. I find a horse I like and work around it. I'm hoping to remember all of them as I write this.
I've done the teenage Cerwin Vega thing. I've had the 8's, the 10's. Worked mobile in the 70's with the 18's. All lease breakers.
My first good pair of speakers were Vandersteen 2's. They were wonderful. Eventually, those were upgraded to 2ci's. They were the perfect thing for a Krell KST100.
Somewhere along the way, I heard a pair of Thiel 3.5. How someone goes from Vandersteens to Thiels, I'll leave to your imagination. Of course, the Thiels needed tubes, so I put them with an Audio Research VT100 and a most delightful SP9 MkIII. Loved that rig.
However, the 3.5' were fine, but in the span of a year they never grew on me. I found a deal on a pair of Maggie 3.5's- Christ, that was luscious. Now, at this point I was stumbling my way into cohabitation with a decorator and I had to downscale- this is where it all goes wrong. I get a Plinius 8100 Integrated (a bloated POS) and pair it with B&W CDM1NT's. I'm not enjoying this. The gear is tastefully ensconsed (hidden) in an armoire and I can't properly position the speakers.
At this point, I'd rather have the stereo than the relationship, but I couldn't trade her in.
The Plinius craps out, so I hook up a high power Pioneer Elite receiver we had and go on Craigslist to find a more bass friendly speaker, I find a pair of walnut B&W630i's for a hundred bucks. Those were great little floorstanders, but I wasn't really listening so much anymore. Fast forward a few years, we leave the Manhattan apartment for a house in Westchester. Now, with my own place to crank again I threw together a Craigslist sourced PV10B and a CJ MF2250 with the 630i's. Recently, I stumbled across an unbelievably good deal on some perfect Vandersteen 2ci Signatures for a ridiculous price. They're nice, but I'm past the lovely Vandersteen sound. I'm looking forward to finding a nice old pair of B&W802's.
It's always a work in progress.

Wow cool thread, have not seen this before. To the best of my recollection:

DIY Marsland full range (1st speaker, 14 years old)
DIY KEF 3 way with B129 and others I cant remember
Audio Analyst A100XL
Energy 22
Mordaunt Short MS300
Magnepan 2.5R
Proac Tablette 50 Signature (still have)
Proac 2.5
Magnepan MMG
Harbeth SHL5S (still have)
B&W Matrix 800 (in use)
PSB 800
PSB Image 5
Paradigm 11SE MK3
Paradigm 5SE MK2 (still have)
Paradigm SE3 Mini (still have)
PSB Alpha
Rectilinear III Low Boy
JBL 4311(still have)
JBL L26 (still have)
Altec Barcelona (still have)
Infinity Qb (still have)
Sansui SP2000 (latest buy)

Oh, I saw lissenup's impressive list and remembered six months with the Maggie MMG's. I found them kind of dull and bounced them last year.
You know what would be sick? If I had to list all the preamps I've gone through over the last twenty five years.
It's certainly in the dozens and I'm sure I've forgotten more than a few.

Last edited:
Wellex C2042
Wellex Blue Line 3-way
Tandberg TL2510
Cerwin Vega AT-100
Cerwin Vega Sat-6
Cerwin Vega AL-1000
Altec Lansing 105
Dali 109 (current)
JBL1500GTI sub
Dali 909
Dali 850
Infinity Kappa 7
Infinity Kappa 8
Wharfedale Valdus (current)
Mirage OM-8
XL Fidelity PG1200 (current)
Klipsch RF-83
Klipsch RF-7 II
JBL S412P
JBL L26
JBL 2243HPL subs (current)
Magnat Vintage 760
Magnepan MG3.6/R (current)

Last edited:
Rectillinear III Highboys
JBL L300
AR9
Fourier 6
AR4x
Wharfedale W90
AR3
Sony SS-M7
Wharfedale SFB/3
KLH 23
Spendor SP/2
Dynaco A25
ADS L710
Marantz Imperial 5
Quad 57
Devore O/93
Spendor SP100

(more than I ever thought I'd own)
Childhood Era
1958 or 9 -- single Quam 12" in an open backed wall enclosure expanded in my closets at home and in the dorm (lost in a flood)
Stereo Era
1964 -- two Calrad 8" concentric duals with whizzer cone mounted in the end of 2 big plastic trash cans (drivers retained)
1966 -- AR-4x (given to parents, now available to me again) driven with Heath AR-15
1958 -- KLH Six (sold) driven with Heath AR-15 (given to parents, now available to me again)
1970 -- Rectilinear Xa (gone with ex-wife and now trashed) driven with Heath AR-15
1977 -- Dahlquist DQ-10 driven with Yamaha C2020, now with Onkyo A-5
1979 -- added Dahlquist subwoofer and Dahlquist electronic crossover driven with NAD 2105
Repair Era
2007 -- Infinity 3000 (borrowed for cabinet fix, reconing etc)
2014 -- AR--2ax (good shape, needs repair to grill cloth support)
2015 -- Rectilinear III driven with Onkyo A-5 (good, needs recapping)
2015 -- all drivers/xovers for Rectilinear Xa (enclosure to be built)
2016 -- Boston Acoustics B4 driven with Sherwood S-7025 (all good)
2016 -- 2 sets of Rectilinear XII's plus replacement woofers (3 of 4 good, need recapping)
2017 -- AR-3a (needs reconing, recapping, cabinet work, grill cloth cleanup, etc)

Last edited:
Well, my first speakers, were amped up radioshack speakers for a home TV record play combo. Epi floorstanding speakers were my 1st venture into hifi. My dad blew them up listening to Boots Randalf, way past clipping, with a Marantz. Then went to university and got a 12" pair of Cerwin Vega's. Had to be louder than the common Bose 901. 1st year home from university, bought a Altec Lansing Voice of the Theater kit, hired a Carpenter to put them together. But had to reinforce the cabinets. I had them all the way through 7 years of College. Disc Jockeyed a number of parties in very large rooms. Bought my Present K-horns in 1981. A graduation present to myself. $2,100 cdn. Have only blown one woofer and one tweeter( tin foil on a blown fuse). Klipsch comped me the parts.
My best bud has Top of line B&W 800 D3 Powered by a Bryston 3B cubed amp and a pair of DB1's. Best system I have heard, they sound great and clean, but my K-horns are not far off for a fraction of the price. He is on his 3rd pair Diamond Tweeters.

I started out being influenced in the 60's by the AR3... So here's my progression:

KLH 5
JBL L65 Jubal
a/d/s/ L2030
KEF 107.2
Martin Logan Sequel II
Martin Logan SL3
Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand
Martin Logan Sequel II > My current set powered by a pair of Granite Audio tube amps...

Other speakers in current stable used in other areas of my home:
a/d/s/ L1230 > Just sold
a/d/s/ L730
KEF T-301

Back
Top Bottom