Klipsch KG 1.5
Advent Marbl
Klipsch KSB 1.1
Klipsch AW-525
Klipsch Cornwall II
EPI Magnus 10's
Klipsch Forte
Klipsch XB-10.

1.) A Pair of Sansui 2-ways from ~1984. Dreadful speakers. In a land fill somewhere. My parents tossed out a truck load of audio stuff dating back to the early fifties including thousands of 78s, 45s, LPs, open reals, and 8-tracks from three generations when they build a new home in the early 1990’s these speaker went with all of that stuff.

2.) A pair of white van specials form the mid to 80’s. A charismas gift. These where very large late 70’s looking speakers with two tweeters and mid-range drivers and 15” woofers. I don’t think they weighed 10lbs as a pair. Yes they were terrible. Same as above in a landfill.

3.) Baby Advents. My first decent set of speakers. Although if I heard them to day I might have a different opinion. I have come close to buying a pair a few times over the past couple of years. Sold to a collage roommate

4.) Baby Advents II. Same as above but with a more refined tweeter. I had a Hafler amp with the ambiance thing so I needed 4 speakers.

5.) Boston Acoustics A-60. I don’t remember much about these speakers. I do remember after years in storage I replaced the woofers and hooked them up. The really made the VR-950s that were my main speaker at the time sound so bad that I started speaker shopping that day. These were my main speaker at the time when I was listening to less music and home theater was becoming the main focus. They were lost in a divorce.

6.) Boston Acoustics VR-950. By this time, it was all about home theater. And it was no wonder. These are not very good speakers with two channel music. Using them with a center channel masked that they had no sound stage. Hooking up the old A-60s made me realize what I had been missing. They were lost in a divorce. Thank god.

7.) B&W 703. The best overall speaker that I have owned. During the 2008 melt down I knew I would be losing my job so we sold everything possible to prepare for the worst. As it worked out that I was only unemployed for a week but the 703s already sold. Although these were used in a dedicated theater set up with the matching 700 series center this is when I started digging back into the music collection and buying a lot of new music.

8.) Quad 11L. Purchased to be the main speaker in my first 2nd system they were pressed into service in the main system after the 703s were sold. Although not as capable as the 703s they are still quite satisfying with a good sub. The first speaker on the list that I still own. Currently they are the main speaker in our “theater”

9.) Martin Logan ElectoMotion ESL. After 14 years my Velodyne SPL-10 sub died which meant that the Quad 11L just were not cutting it anymore. I either had to buy a new sub, which I did not want to do because at the time we were building a new house and I was going to have a dedicated room for 2ch. These won out over the Magnepan 1.7 because I thought they would be better in a system with out a sub. And no that did not work out so much. Currently these are my main speakers.

10.) Wharfedale Diamond 10.1. I bought these for my son when he was in school. After he graduated they ended back at my house. They are very good speakers for $250. They still end up in the main system every once in a while. Currently being used by my youngest who is a squatter in our spare bedroom.

11.) Large Advents. A Craig’s List purchase and a project. Currently sitting in a closet.

12.) Overnight Sensations from Parts Express. Just completed. Currently sitting in the floor in the main listening room.

Minimus 7
Minimus 7W

Infinity RS-2000
KLH 17
Coral BX-1201 (kabuki, but one of my favorites)
Advent Laureate
Minimus 77
RS Nova 7B
Dayton B652
Magnavox 2-way acoustic suspension (unknown model)
RS Optimus 1B

Hard to believe it's been over four years since making this list. Here's an update as of Sept 2018:

Prior to Feb. 2014:
Minimus 7
Minimus 7W

Infinity RS-2000
KLH 17
**Coral BX-1201 (kabuki, but one of my favorites)
**Advent Laureate
Minimus 77
RS Nova 7B
Dayton B652
Magnavox 2-way acoustic suspension (unknown model)
RS Optimus 1B

Since Feb. 2014:

Pioneer BS-22
Pioneer FS-52
Realistic Nova-8B
(VL modded)
Advent Heritage
Advent, New Large, Bullnose
Aperion Intimus 6B
EPI 100 (several variants)
ADS 780/2
Realistic Mach One
Infinity RS-4000
Classix II (built from kit)
Tekton Mini-Lore
**Realistic Optimus LX-4
ADS 570
Dayton B652-AIR
Philips AH-467 clones
Mission 731i

**Electro-Voice 15TRXB Triaxial Speakers
DLK 3
KLH 20
*ELAC UniFi UB5
Realistic Minimus-8
Elbau/Bogen SB 18
*Yamaha NS-670
Sansui SP-2500
=========================
Bolded
= still own
* = current favorites (ELAC UniFi UB5 and Yamaha NS-670)
** = ones I kind of wish I had kept (Coral BX-1201, Advent Laureate, Optimus LX-4, EV 15TRXB)

Last edited:
I might make a mis step, but I'll try. I started with a pair of 8" Stephens as a woofers with an Oxford horns in a Davis cabinets, Then moved up to a 12 inch Stephens with a larger Oxford horns in a Davis cabinets. Then came an Altec Coronado, Altec Carmel, Bozak Symphony Kits, 302 Kit, Bozak Concert Grands, Bozak B313's, Bozak 4005 Symphonys. I also had a Sony HT system for one RV, a Nakamichi system for another RV and my Current system. has a M&K. HT system with sub woofer. As I was in the business, I was always bringing home something to try Out. Mac speakers, Klipsch speakers, when in college I lived with Cornwalls, and later used Hersey. My girl friend had A7-800. and large Betas. Cross between a La Scala and a Cornwall. I helped friends build Bozak B-4005 before there was such a thing except we used 8" mids. We built Altec disco speakers using 811 for the mid, Wi th a 604 HPLN for the mid bass and the tweeter . Then we would use another 15 inch for smaller woofer or a 3182 if we were going to tri amp. We sold AR, Bozak, Boston,Bose, Altec, EV, Jensen, Sony, Braun, Klipsch, Beta, HEW, Atlas Soundilier, University, Frazier, ADS, EPI, RTR, Jensen, M&K, KLH, Mcintosh, Crown, JBL, Snell, B&O, Revox, tandberg loudspeakers. . So after listening to them in the sound rooms if I were really interested I drag them home. I loved EV-6, but I had Concert Grands by then, so I passed. Georgians and Patricians didn't show me a thing. Mac speakers had pluses and some minuses. I should have bought a pair of XR 290's when I had a chance, but I didn't. That's still my favorite speaker. The competition and former business partner became the JBL dealer, EV, KLH, B&W, Allison, Heil, Stax, Infinity, Wharfedale, Cerwin-Vega, Magnepan, Acoustat, Apogee and other brands I have long since forgotten that I auditioned regularly. . So though I have owned relatively few speakers, I lived with, worked with, installed, and re-coned and auditioned many many others. Going to CES conventions allow you to weed out the chaff from the wheat pretty fast. What was the brand with the blue flame? If I decided to spend the money for a pair of S7 and a SCC from Magico, I would still wonder if I wouldn't be happier with a two XR 290's a Home made center channel and 4 XRT 28's. I am not really fond of resonant metal tweeters and yet I have lived with over 24 of them for 48 years. But then Bozak tweeters are damped, most others are not successfully.

Last edited:
I will post my list, as I am not sure if I have done it previously.
The chronology is a bit sketchy! I started this madness in the year 2000.

Bose 901 (which I liked)
Wharfedale Modus
Pinnacle Gold Classic Aerogel
Mission 774
JBL L-96
EV-12TRXB (Reworked by GordonW)
EV-15TRXB
Tannoy Arden
Coral 12-TXT1
JBL-96
ESL-63
Odyssey Lorelei
Bozak Concert Grands
Platinum Audio Solo
Platinum Audio Quattro
PAudio 12" concentic
Lambda Acoustics with BMC horn with active cover
Talon Audio Raven
EV-15TRX
Platinum Audio Solo
Talon Audio Khite
EPI M100
Kirksaeter 141 Monitor

I need to add:

Tannoy 15 DMT
Tannoy 12 DMT
Soliloquy 5.0 Monitors
Coral Flat 10's
Clearaudio Delta monitors
Cabasse Galion IV

Early 1970's - XAM 2 way's
Mid 1970's - KLH 10" 2 way's
Mid 1970's - Large Advent Utility Cabinets
Late 1970's - Early 1980's - JBL L-166 Horizons
Early 1980's - Polk Monitor Juniors and RCA branded Radio Shack Minimus 7's
1990's - Mission M772's and PSB Alpha's.
Mid 2000's - Paradigm Titan V.6's and AE Ageis 1's
Current - Main 2 channel - Revel Concerta2 M16's, HT - PSB Alpha/Intro, Bedroom - AE Ageis 1's.

EPI T/E 70s (Home Theater Surrounds) first speakers I purchased
Philips FB-690 (given to daughter)
Design Acoustics PS-10 (given to other daughter)
KLH17 (rebuilt then sold eventually)
NLA (rebuilt, bedroom)
AR TSW-510 (rebuilt then sold eventually)
AR TSW-410 (rebuilt, not in use)
AR-3a (rebuilt, main system)
Infinity RS-6b (basement)
Coral Beta 8 (waiting for me to build open baffles)
EPI 100 (bedroom and workout room)
EPI T/E 100 (Home Theater L C R)
Zenith Allegro? (Rebuilt using Jamo drivers, just kept the boxes, will go in garage)

True ... can't remember the make or model of the speakers I owned before 1984. They were the "all in one" types that came w/ systems that you could pick up at discount retailers. I do remember that they all sounded awful ... compared to better sounding speakers I purchased some years latter.

1. Cerwin Vega D7
2. Infinity RS 5000
3. Bose 501 Series V
4. Heybrook HB3

I don't swap speakers all that often and I"ve been more than satisfied with the audio performance of the Heybrook HB3's that I acquired in 2005.

2019 Update:

5. Pioneer BS 22
6. Wharfedale 10.1
7. Kef Q100
:trebon: paired w/ SVS PB 1000 :thumbsup:

Bolded = still own

Last edited:
My Contribution....
Pioneer SP-FS52<-Good sounding speaker for the price. Hated running a sub with them, sold locally.
Elac B6<-Was not a fan. Sounded way too boomy, even away from the wall. Sold Locally.
Pioneer HPM 40<- First foray into Vintage. Good sounding rock speakers. Still have them around as I seem to have some strange attachment too them. Should probably sell them.
Klipsch Heresy Series 1<-Not much bass but what is there is nice and tight. Second favorite for my lower powered tube stuff. The horns produce sounds I did not know existed on some recordings. Really woke me up to how well Vintage speakers can sound. Still in rotation.
Wharfdale W60 (2 way)<-These were my least favorite in the list. I had read some good things about them and figured refreshing the caps would go a long way. No change. Sounded boxy and much smaller than they were. Looked awesome though. Sold locally.
Infinity ECQ<-Great little speaker. The EMIT tweeter is awesome. Sold locally.
Yamaha NS 690 I<-I love these. Just reproduce what is on the source beautifully. These have NS 1000M woofers in them which drives me nuts. Been on the lookout for original woofers as they sit waiting to be returned to original condition.
KLH Model 6<-My favorite speaker to use with my tube stuff. So smoooooth. Did I mention they are smooth. My favorite low volume listening speaker. Still in rotation.
KLH Model 5<-I disliked these until I threw some power at them. They really came alive and spend more time in my main system then any other. Just great sounding all around speakers.
Dynaco A25<-I drove 60 miles to pick these up. Sound good for what they are. Will probably move these as they will not displace my Model 6s as my goto 2 way (In defense they are much smaller than the 6s).
DCM CX27<-These were a big surprise. Think I paid $40. Image so well it is almost eery listening to them. Nice bass. Permanent bedroom room speaker paired with my Marantz 2270. Has me on the lookout for a good deal on TF 600s.
Advent 5002<-Sitting awaiting refoam. Have heard good things. Cabinets are beautiful in a vinyl kind of way.

Note all the vintage stuff above was recapped except the DCMs, HPM40s and 690s.

Wish List:
Klipsch Fortes
Polk Monitor 7
TF 600

Wow, that was just in the past 3 years. I may have a problem. But as I tell my wife, there are worst things in this world I could be spending my money on...

ebcdic
Thanks for the run down. I will now recap my KLH 5's.
Luck with the next batch.

Update from 2009-
Infinity Column II
Magnapan SMG- traded them in on the Clements after a A-B comparison.
Clements RT-7 ( still have both pairs,when both pairs were hooked up it was the best sound I've ever had )
Electrovoice Eliminator II- rock and rolled my brains out, still regret selling
Martin Logan Quest- bright, beamy,boomy bass.
Magnaplanar Tympani IVa- the legendary magic just wasn't there for me
Sequerra Met-7 mini-monitors-still have
EV Studio Monitors
EPI 100
DCM Time frame 1000 (found at dump)
Mirage SM.5
ADS 300
Epicure 3.0- sold for 60.00
8 foot tower/line arrays I built
Digital Designs Studio Monitors
Mirage M1 --most inefficient pigs ever produced
RCA Shearer bass bin-1941
Solus I/O models
Klipsch KG-4 bought for 4.50 at Goodwill
Rtr series 3 towers
RCA Ubangi bass bin- 1941
Mirage M3si
Audio Nirvana Ambience cabinets for 8" drivers (full range my ass, the people who like full range drivers are simply denying the importance of bass )
Definitive technology BP 2000 (main speakers in the bedroom)
Infinity SM-125 ( rear surrounds in the bedroom)
Definitive technology BP-X surrounds ( in the stereo room)
Definitive technology C/L/R Center Channel (in the stereo room,
Magnepan 3.7 (main speakers )

Last edited:
I'm only a freshman, and It's only been some time since I started collecting vintage Electronics and speakers and other shit.

This is gonna be a long-ass comment, But here we go, from least to most recent, w/a first image dated on when they were taken, not the time they were purchased;

August(?) 2016 - Bēm Mojo || (first BT Spkr):
IMG_20170108_112511.jpg

December 25th, 2016 - Sony SRS-X55:
IMG_20161225_141023.jpg

December 24th, 2017 - Aiwa Exos-9 (9002) BT "Boombox":
IMG_20171225_012210.jpg

March 31st, 2018 - Mid-1980s(?) General Electric 3-5667A Cassette Recorder "Ghettoblaster" (Not really):
IMG_20180331_144235.jpg

April 2nd, 2018 - Early 90s Yamaha NS-AP5700 Front and Surround speakers (my first proper pair of speakers)
IMG_20180402_202031.jpg
Passive Subwoofer (Yamaha SW-P3600) was later bought, but not pictured here.

June 22nd, 2018 - very cheap $8 1996 Zenith 5.1 system (never used them):
IMG_20180622_201643.jpg

June 24th, 2018 - Early 80s Sanyo SSV16 *Very Rare* (BIGGEST SPEAKERS EVER):
Screenshot_20180624-203039.png

September 23rd, 2018 - 2000/2001 Panasonic Center speaker (can't remember the model) Nicknamed the "Ice Cream Sandwich" due to it's resemblance and size of an Ice Cream Sandwich:
P_20180923_204948.jpg

December 2nd, 2018 - 1998 JVC SP-UX7000 ultra compact bookshelf speakers:
P_20181202_133617.jpg

January 3rd, 2019 - Mid-late 80s ''Japanese Import" Sanyo U4S6 Cassette Recorder (It's so unique I couldn't not hesitate to share it on here, made in Malaysia). Found at a local Antique store and bought for $40. Works great. It must be rare, cause I can't find ANY information on this 'import' except for a listing and some pictures:
P_20190103_154501.jpg

Last edited:
If a soundbar counts, I picked up a Martin Logan Motion Vision this afternoon. Something I never could have afforded brand new. ;)

A pair I forget (KLH I think)
ElectroVoice Interface A's
ADS L810's
3D Acoustics - 3D6 satellites and the 3D10B sub
Speakerlab sat kit and Velodyne ULD-12 sub
Snell Type EIII's
ProAc Response 1SC's (still have)
AR4x's (in son's dorm room)
Dynaco A25's - scanspeak model (still have)
ADS L520 (still have)

Have sold the Dynaco A25's and replaced them with ADS L710's. Now using a HSU STF1 sub with the ProAc's.

I'm only a freshman, and It's only been some time since I started collecting vintage Electronics and speakers and other shit.

This is gonna be a long-ass comment, But here we go, from least to most recent, w/a first image dated on when they were taken, not the time they were purchased;

August(?) 2016 - Bēm Mojo || (first BT Spkr):
View attachment 1375121

December 25th, 2016 - Sony SRS-X55:
View attachment 1375126

December 24th, 2017 - Aiwa Exos-9 (9002) BT "Boombox":
View attachment 1375139

March 31st, 2018 - Mid-1980s(?) General Electric 3-5667A Cassette Recorder "Ghettoblaster" (Not really):
View attachment 1375231

April 2nd, 2018 - Early 90s Yamaha NS-AP5700 Front and Surround speakers (my first proper pair of speakers)
View attachment 1375154
Passive Subwoofer (Yamaha SW-P3600) was later bought, but not pictured here.

June 22nd, 2018 - very cheap $8 1996 Zenith 5.1 system (never used them):
View attachment 1375183

June 24th, 2018 - Early 80s Sanyo SSV16 *Very Rare* (BIGGEST SPEAKERS EVER):
View attachment 1375187

September 23rd, 2018 - 2000/2001 Panasonic Center speaker (can't remember the model) Nicknamed the "Ice Cream Sandwich" due to it's resemblance and size of an Ice Cream Sandwich:
View attachment 1375190

December 2nd, 2018 - 1998 JVC SP-UX7000 ultra compact bookshelf speakers:
View attachment 1375200

January 3rd, 2019 - Mid-late 80s ''Japanese Import" Sanyo U4S6 Cassette Recorder (It's so unique I couldn't not hesitate to share it on here, made in Malaysia). Found at a local Antique store and bought for $40. Works great. It must be rare, cause I can't find ANY information on this 'import' except for a listing and some pictures:
View attachment 1375273

Those JVC SP-UX7000s are great little speakers, especially for a computer setup. Have you given them a try?

No way I can list them all, especially in chronological order, much less all the one I only bought to flip... so I'll try to limit it to the ones I kept for at least a little while.
Realistic Nova 8, Minimus 7
DCM CX-27, CX-17
Bose Interaudio 4000
Paradigm SE7 MK III, Atom, Titan, Phantom, Monitor 9, Mini-Monitor, Reference Studio 100
ADS L520, L1290, M12, M20, L1230, Sat-6, L1090
M&K SV-200B, LCR-750THX, S-85, MPS-2510P, MPS-1625
Castle Trent II
Magnepan MMG
Meadowlark Kestrel Hot Rod
Klipsch Forte, Academy, Chorus
Carver Amazing III

several more I'll never think of...

I am probably the only AK member who has only owned 3 pairs of speakers in their entire life :)

Cerwin Vega D15EE, bought in 1986 and sold a few weeks ago

Grundig Box 5600, got for free and refoamed them

Nubert 513, just bought them new, and will probably never buy another pair of speakers in my life. The Nuberts cost €850, and I just don´t have €1500- €7400 to go up the Nubert chain and hope they sound better to me.

Back
Top Bottom