Cinema Speakers

edman

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I can get these speakers for $150 ea. They are TL606DMT Speaker enclosure and Woofers, XEQ 504A Crossover, Compression horn DH1A. Came from a closed Regal Cinema. I wanted to know if they would make for a good set of stereo speakers?

Attachments

• 40468056_2090779187612907_7070641794244935680_n.jpg
    40468056_2090779187612907_7070641794244935680_n.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 389
  • 40502491_2090776157613210_7780475012099604480_n.jpg
    40502491_2090776157613210_7780475012099604480_n.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 235
  • 40492183_2090776390946520_6236453476281352192_n.jpg
    40492183_2090776390946520_6236453476281352192_n.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 229
  • 40586971_2090776467613179_2741779453863526400_n.jpg
    40586971_2090776467613179_2741779453863526400_n.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 230
  • 40684294_2090776317613194_431573792964214784_n.jpg
    40684294_2090776317613194_431573792964214784_n.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 237
For the sort of money you're talking about, I think you'd be better off buying a set of consumer speakers designed for music. Cinema speakers can sound good in a theater, but in general the design goals are not what you'd be looking for for home listening.

I wanted to get some thoughts from people here on the forum first. To make sure I am not making a mistake on buying them. Thank you swechsler for your input.

What do you plan on doing with them? They would probably be great for a large garage or for a HUGE room. Cinema speakers are designed to move a lot of air in a large space. They are likely too overpowering for a small or medium sized room.

I think you'd be trading quality for quantity.

You'd be much better off spending the $150 each for speakers specifically designed for home listening.

Hey james you make me laugh. I could not find a post so far were someone has used theater speaker for home stereo listening. Tally I was thinking about using them with my Rotel 1603. I have wondered for years how theater speakers would sound and if they would work well with a stereo receiver. For years I wanted to find a pair of theater speakers. Can you imagine being able to have that theater sound quality at home on your stereo receiver? I have also thought that theater speakers were made better than stereo speakers? But I don't want to buy them and be in for a big let down when I turn on my receiver.

I have worked with EV speakers in a professional situation and I had the hardest time getting them not to sound colored. Those were the Series IV but I can't remember which series. I agree with the others. Did they already sell the amps?

Do you have to buy all of them? Do you have a big room? Do you like movies? Do you like horns? Can you handle the size?

I'd pick up a pair or three and give them a try.

If it's all or nothing it's a bit of a headache. Thats a heck of a lot of speaker for the money!

Speakers like that need larger rooms for the sound of each driver to expand and blend together.
Unless you have a barn or similar large room, I'd suspect they are not for you.

index.php

Hello kingbubba, There was no mention of amplifiers? Nice to hear that someone has had experience with the brand of speaker. So in your opinion would it be worth buying them to use with my stereo receiver? No max he is selling each one for $200 but told me because of me having limited funds.He would let me buy them for $150 Ea.

I had a chance to buy similar JBLs, for similar (or lower) prices, nearly unused, too...and with Rane EQ gear to go with.
(Don't know how these would compare to the JBLS.)
Still regret passing up on them - I'd have found SOME use for 'em!
Can you get just two, or have to buy the whole lot? Worst case, garage or shop use.

Hello kingbubba, There was no mention of amplifiers? Nice to hear that someone has had experience with the brand of speaker. So in your opinion would it be worth buying them to use with my stereo receiver? No max he is selling each one for $200 but told me because of me having limited funds.He would let me buy them for $150 Ea.

So worst case, you drop $300 and do a bit of furniture moving, and you're not in love with them. $300 doesn't even buy a lot of beer these days :) Big speakers like that will move a lot of air, and the horns are going to make vocals very clear, and dialogue very intelligible. Not to mention that they will go incredibly loud. Probably not the deepest bass, but what's it matter.

If you like movies and want a big powerful sound, I can't think of a cheaper way to get something similar. Do you have a video projector? If you're into classical music, or interior decoration I'd probably stay away from them. Keep in mind this is coming from a guy who likes La Scalas, but those cost me a whole lot more than these EVs are going for.

You definitely do need a fair sized room though. If you cram these into a room where you're sitting 10 feet away from them, it won't turn out as nice as it would if you had some breathing space.

Can buy one or more. Max I just want to make sure they will sound good with my Rotel 1603 receiver. I don't want to buy them and find out there not going to work well. And that I would have been better off with reg speakers.

Several old theaters that have closed near me had old Altec and Lancing speakers mounted under the stage. One old theater is still boarded up and hasn't been stripped or repurposed. I want in it so bad. In the eighties when it closed those old speakers and even some of the old tube gear was still there.

Can buy one or more. Max I just want to make sure they will sound good with my Rotel 1603 receiver. I don't want to buy them and find out there not going to work well. And that I would have been better off with reg speakers.

Depends on what you're doing with them. Think about how it sounds, when you go to a movie. The goal of those horns, is to make sure everyone, in every seat hears the dialogue clearly... what's the point of going to a movie, if you can't hear what's going on? Those compression drivers will do this way better than dome tweeters in a domestic speaker. Similarly, those woofers are going to have impact, and make everything sound loud and exciting.

The down side, is going to be that they will be overpoweringly large for a normal room, and they are not going to appeal visually to anyone but a die hard audio or theater nut. They look big already in that big room, but once you get them into your own room, they will be enormous, not just big, and you can probably anticipate/expect spousal disapproval. Also, they aren't going to be as flat as domestic speakers, and you may feel the horns are shouting at you, and the bass doesn't go low enough for the size of the cabinets. The woofers which usually are well protected by the movie theater screen, are hanging out there vulnerable, so will not be compatible with small children or pets... so both "unsightly" and delicate at once.. can be lose lose from the perspective of domestic harmony.

Can you spend $300 on something else and get better sound? Well, that depends on how you define better sound. I would jump at this opportunity, but then that's me, this is the sort of thing I like, and I know that.

Is it possible to bring your receiver and say an iPod to the place the guy is selling them, and hook them up to try? Tell him you want to check that they work. Trying them is really the only way to know if they're for you or not.

If you're second guessing the idea before even bringing them home, I kind of have a hunch you may well be happier with bookshelf or tower speakers, rather than venturing into movie theater sound land.

Home theater nuts use similar speakers because no little bookshelf speaker is going to blow you out of the room with a handfull of watts (typical of AVR or tube power). Add 500-5000 watts of subwoofers and you are good to go for a totally devestating sonic experience. The capability of 120+ dB at the listening position means that you can run at a more typical 80-90 dB at very low distortion on limited power.

Please note that this is not the goal of the typical AK member. If you have room, go for it!

I could not find a post so far were someone has used theater speaker for home stereo listening.

I have also thought that theater speakers were made better than stereo speakers? But I don't want to buy them and be in for a big let down when I turn on my receiver.

Some meandering thoughts...

1. You evidently did not look hard enough (or in the right places) to find people with cinema speakers at home
2. Cinema speakers CAN sound fabulous in the home.... I guess it's not necessary but being a "cinema" speaker isn't a curse
3. Cinema speakers (as I understand) are generally made for output so a "home" speaker might not have the horsepower. That said.... Paul Klipsch set out years ago to take his Klipschorn BACK to a 2-way speaker..... he felt it bested the Khorn by such a margin it deserved its own place in the lineup. The company never manufactured it for RESIDENTIAL use....but instead, inserted a speaker SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED for home use.... into their CINEMA lineup. So you certainly can get some fantastic sounding "cinema" speakers for home use.... I know several folks that have them.
4. It's $150 each....what do you have to lose to try? EV in general makes good stuff (I've never heard these so don't know about them) Looks like they're 2-way....if that's accurate, you might get better coherency out of them than a similar 3-way. I DO however, know of some folks that don't like that style of top horn.
5. Regardless of what you do for the house, they could be a blast for having an outdoor movie!! Ask me how I know!! (outdoor pic is mine)

PS: Monster speakers attached, are not mine.... just showing some have cinema in the home....quite large I might add, much bigger than what you're looking at.

Attachments

• IMG_0870.jpg
    IMG_0870.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCN6266.JPG
    DSCN6266.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 95
I've had a couple pair of large 2 ways speakers over the years - the JBL L200 15 inch woofer and trumpet type horn within the cabinet above the woofer. I hacked it into a 3 ways after a couple years.
I got a Heathkit version of an Altec Valencia 2 way speaker in January. Did a bunch of mods to get the best of it, and then hack them into 3 ways as the project neared the end and the top end seemed lesser.

Thing is - for $150 a speaker, you could do a lot worse and it could be real lot of fun hacking them to better fit your rooms.
I'd try and buy 3 or 4, if you can possibly afford it!

Back
Top Bottom