Circuit board vise?

That's the one, except that mine is of brown plastic. Yes, the rails/clamps are a pretty tight fit. Even after 5 years they are still so but I've gotten used to it I guess. I generally leave one frame flush with the ends of the rods and do all length adjustments on the other side. The plastic side frames seem to be made of fibreglass reinforced plastic or such, they are quite stable.

The component holder is sometimes useful and sometimes simply in the way. It doesn't really have enough flex to hold a tall cap for instance. On the side opposite the board adjustment knob I added a round pvc pad as a holder for a roll of solder, with a screw through the center hole, in the middle of the triangle side piece. All in all I'm very happy with the tool as a whole and use it regularly.

Cheers,
James

edit: The solid steel rails have imo a useful function in they give the entire tool enough weight down low that I've never had the holder tip over even with a very tall pcb.

Now I have the big, medium and small pcb holder!!!

Holders.jpg

I don't think I need the medium blue one anymore, just the vise and the Weller is good enough.

Back
Top Bottom