Citation II tube cage repro

Blitzen

TubeHead
OK, I've watched these original Citation II cages go for outrageously high $ lately. It makes me wonder if there's enough interest in putting together repro units for sale.
I've never seen a "real" one, but there can't be anything about making these that's too difficult for basic metalworking skills. I've taken a cursory look and the materials needed are probably available.
I suppose I could start a poll about this, but I think I'd rather just have a discussion first, including what the value of this would be.
Two questions:
1. Would you be interested in a repro cage at a fair price, which I think would be something in the $100 range?
2. Does someone have an original they'd be willing to loan out for awhile, or at least take high-quality photos and measurements?
-Brian

Saw two sell today. One included the rest of the chassis. Ridiculous prices... but not to the buyer and seller. Prices have skyrocketed on the OEM's. I am certain there is a market for a repop. I have an OEM version that I bought a number of years ago for half of today's sales so I would not be a buyer. I am sure there are buyers out there though.

Last edited:
I have been saying the same thing and following the recent sales all at $500+. I don't have an original but would definately be a buyer for a well made repro.

I have a couple of Cit II's, The price would be great, I'm sure there's a market, but I would never use the cage, so I wouldn't need them. Same with the MC75's I have.

Frankly don't use mine either but I wanted to have the complete unit. I am anal that way. Do the same with certain turntables. I want to have all the original accessories and have wasted countless hours tracking them down. If I found a repop for half the price of what I paid for mine I would have made the choice to buy the repop.

Ok, i dug mine out from under the desk (damn cat, always knocking my shit down), and dusted it out , found a nice 7119 amperex (bonus!) and a koa body pen too. Anyway, the tube cover is merely 2 pieces of fairly heavy sheet metal 6 1/4 x 4 1/2 inches. The perforated metal is square hole type and almost 17" wide, that is folded 4 times and it looks like it is spot welded to the sheet metal ends. It is probably about less than 10 bucks in raw materials and a good machinist with the proper tools can probably put it together in less than an hour once he figures out what he needs to do. Probably the hardest thing is finding the 2 clamps for nibs. Also, an airconditioning sheet metal guy might be able to do it too.

Last edited:
If I have what you posted correct I recall seeing those "nibs" available somewhere. Just can't recall where right now.

If I have what you posted correct I recall seeing those "nibs" available somewhere. Just can't recall where right now.
They were on the auction site, I forgot their name.
Edit: search the auction site (amplifier cage clips) it's called a ball stud.

Last edited:
I've got a great sheet metal guy. If I could borrow a cage to show them, we could make a few . . .

I would say that it would be nice to have, but I would never use it as the amps run hot as an oven. Airflow is essential for these units.

I don’t use the cover I have but I find it interesting that the defacto answer is to not use the cover. Like somehow Hegeman and other amp designers goofed up on even providing a cover. Yet, most non console amps came with metal covers. Those from HK, Dynaco, Fisher etc.

1. Would you be interested in a repro cage at a fair price, which I think would be something in the $100 range?

Yes, 2 but dependent on price. Perforated metal stock has increased a lot over the last few years. Have you priced out your raw material out yet?

Someone in China had a repro Citation 2 cage on the auction site a couple of years ago. As I recall, they wanted $150 or so (maybe plus shipping), and it took them a few tries to sell it. It was unpainted, but I'd think anyone with a can of spray paint could do a reasonable job on that.

I would have bought it myself, but I already have original cages for both my Citation 2s. They weren't cheap, but they weren't nearly as much as the recent sales. Heck, I bought my Citation 2s themselves for less than the most recent cage sale! Both were unrestored, and one was over 20 years ago, but still...

Ok, i dug mine out from under the desk (damn cat, always knocking my shit down), and dusted it out , found a nice 7119 amperex (bonus!) and a koa body pen too. Anyway, the tube cover is merely 2 pieces of fairly heavy sheet metal 6 1/4 x 4 1/2 inches. The perforated metal is square hole type and almost 17" wide, that is folded 4 times and it looks like it is spot welded to the sheet metal ends. It is probably about less than 10 bucks in raw materials and a good machinist with the proper tools can probably put it together in less than an hour once he figures out what he needs to do. Probably the hardest thing is finding the 2 clamps for nibs. Also, an airconditioning sheet metal guy might be able to do it too.
How big are the holes? Can you measure them that accurately? Maybe just a number per inch would work. Thanks!
Edit: I guess I could figure that out with your measurements and a detailed picture...

Back
Top Bottom