Citation Receiver Cosmetic Restoration

Bigerik

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hey everyone.
Just became the proud owner of a lovely Citation Receiver. Yes, THE Citation Receiver. Perhaps the greatest receiver ever made?

While it has been electronically completely overhauled, it's past life has not been as kind to it a it deserves, so I'd love to get it fully restored cosmetically also. The faceplate is in nice enough shape, but the fancy, funky wood and metal case is in need of some love.

As the pictures below show, it is a combo of wood and metal. Yes, real wood. Were it not for the wood insert, I'd have it sandblasted or bead blasted or something, and get it professionally repainted. It really is pretty enough to deserve that.

Has anyone done one? How do you remove the wood insert? Is there anyone who could do the restore?

Some inter web pics:

544244-totlheavy_weight_champ_harman_kardon_citation_receivertrades_welcome.jpg

hk-citation-receiver-fotos-035_190483.jpg

That is fabulous... Truly fabulous. I was looking for one of those a few years back but gave up..lol Kudos and enjoy!!

They are rare indeed. I was in a room with two of them yesterday, and I'm willing to be THAT will never happen again.

That may be one of the best looking receivers EVER! Ok, it IS the best looking receiver EVER :bowdown:

I guess from the pictures, I don't understand what the issue is. I do lots of restorations (JBL, Altec, AR Marantz, etc) and there are times when the restoration is not possible, or it would disturb the "inner" beauty of the piece to a point where the restoration would actually be a distraction. Case in point was a recent pair of original large Advent speakers. While not beaten to obscenity, their beautiful walnut tops had fairly deep scratches and a water stain from a potted plant placed on the top. After a lengthy debate with the better half, it was decided that my usual attempts at sanding the ills away was not going to work. Adding new walnut veneer would not match the rest of the cabinets, either. So a coat of medium danish oil was the solution. It brought out the beauty of the cabinet, while keeping the "character" of the pieces (showing their age and life story) and then realizing it told a story all by itself. While this is not the norm for things done at this house, it was (and is) the best solution for the vintage speakers. I love them for what they are (and were) and friends marvel at their timeless sound, only later to notice some of their timeless character.

I've never seen one of those before and as a fellow "not much of receiver guy" that really does look like something special.
From the photos it looks really nice but maybe they hide imperfections.
For the metal I tend to like to use powder coating over paint. It is tough and looks really nice if the metal is prepped and the paint is applied properly. Wood I have no idea but the guys in the speaker forums probably have tons of ways to make it look new again.

Again, those are just some internet pics. I'll try to have some real ones tomorrow.

I've never seen one of those before and as a fellow "not much of receiver guy" that really does look like something special.
From the photos it looks really nice but maybe they hide imperfections.
For the metal I tend to like to use powder coating over paint. It is tough and looks really nice if the metal is prepped and the paint is applied properly. Wood I have no idea but the guys in the speaker forums probably have tons of ways to make it look new again.

Powder coating sounds like a great idea. Likely will cover flaws better then just painting.

I gotta figure out how to separate the wood from the metal.

This thing is so special, that it really deserves to look it's best.

I guess from the pictures, I don't understand what the issue is. I do lots of restorations (JBL, Altec, AR Marantz, etc) and there are times when the restoration is not possible, or it would disturb the "inner" beauty of the piece to a point where the restoration would actually be a distraction. Case in point was a recent pair of original large Advent speakers. While not beaten to obscenity, their beautiful walnut tops had fairly deep scratches and a water stain from a potted plant placed on the top. After a lengthy debate with the better half, it was decided that my usual attempts at sanding the ills away was not going to work. Adding new walnut veneer would not match the rest of the cabinets, either. So a coat of medium danish oil was the solution. It brought out the beauty of the cabinet, while keeping the "character" of the pieces (showing their age and life story) and then realizing it told a story all by itself. While this is not the norm for things done at this house, it was (and is) the best solution for the vintage speakers. I love them for what they are (and were) and friends marvel at their timeless sound, only later to notice some of their timeless character.

Again, those pics aren't of my unit. I'll try to get some tomorrow so that you can see the flaws I'm trying to correct.

Hey Eick, good to see you and posting such a special receiver.

I don't know how you want to go about the restoration, be it doing all the work yourself and learning a bit along the way, or sending the case parts out to have it professionally done. Either way I can help you with the finishing work as that's what I'v done for a living my whole life.

We send out powder coating though to a place that does very good work and custom color. However till you get it apart, investigate whats needed or not and what process was done by the factory on the metal an then we'll go from there. It could be a epoxy or durable enamel paint as well.

Last edited:
Hey Eick, good to see you and posting such a special receiver.

I don't know how you want to go about the restoration, be it doing all the work yourself and learning a bit along the way, or sending the case parts out to have it professionally done. Either way I can help you with the finishing work as that's what I'v done for a lining my whole life.

We send out powder coating though to a place that does very good work and custom color. However till you get it apart, investigate whats needed or not and what process was done by the factory on the metal an then we'll go from there. It could be a epoxy or durable enamel paint as well.

Why thank you, sir! Good to see you too.

I'll have the lid off tomorrow and try to figure out whats what. I'll certainly take some pictures of the inside. At least the two funky plastic side panels are in nice shape.

The a few more internet pics showing the funky side panels of which I spoke:

544227-totlheavy_weight_champ_harman_kardon_citation_receivertrades_welcome.jpg

tVfUY.jpg

BTW
Looking at the photos and if this is a thin solid board like 3/16, 1/4 or 3/8 inch it could have a shallow dado at the ends by the side panels. This will step the ends down as it looks like it's under the side metal trim.This would help keep it from warping with the heat of the unit. It could have metal clips, screws as I don't think they would just glue / double side tape it due to the heat.

Edit
yeah the new photos look like the outer case is made of multiple parts and finishes.

Wood finish..
Black anodized aluminum side panels? You say their plastic?
The grill might be paint or powder coated.

Last edited:
BTW
Looking at the photos and if this is a thin solid board like 3/16, 1/4 or 3/8 inch it could have a shallow dado at the ends by the side panels. This will step the ends down as it looks like it's under the side metal trim.This would help keep it from warping with the heat of the unit. It could have metal clips, screws as I don't think they would just glue / double side tap it due to the heat.

Edit
yeah the new photos look like the outer case is made of multiple parts and finishes.

Wood finish..
Black anodized aluminum side panels.
The grill might be paint or powder coated.

Yes, it is indeed many pieces. Heavy as hell apparently.

I thought I read somewhere that it was an actual piece of rosewood, not just a veneer. I read it on the internet, which is always accurate. :)

The side panels are plastic.

BTW, whats a dado? :)

I thought I read somewhere that it was an actual piece of rosewood, not just a veneer. I read it on the internet, which is always accurate.

Yeah it looks like a thin solid panel and the wood is rosewood. A dado is a cut to the wood, making a notch to fit parts together or stepping down an end so parts can interlock together.

I should have said a rabbet cut like the top right in this image.

dados&grooves_illustration1.jpg

Yeah it looks like a thin solid panel and the wood is rosewood. A dado is a cut to the wood, making a notch to fit parts together or stepping down an end so parts can interlock together.

I should have said a rabbet cut like the top right in this image.

View attachment 909966

Thanks very much. Very educational!

Never saw one of those, it's a beautiful looking piece. I picked up a black faced Citation 18 tuner a while back and have come to really appreciate the build quality and timeless beauty of this older HK gear. I'd like to see the internal pics when you get it apart. I know my tuner was built like a mil spec piece of gear. This stuff was super expensive in it's day.

BillWojo

Never saw one of those, it's a beautiful looking piece. I picked up a black faced Citation 18 tuner a while back and have come to really appreciate the build quality and timeless beauty of this older HK gear. I'd like to see the internal pics when you get it apart. I know my tuner was built like a mil spec piece of gear. This stuff was super expensive in it's day.

BillWojo

I;ll try to get some taken today.

Back
Top Bottom