CL - Revox Agora B Speakers

Very nice, I like those. I've never heard them but they fit in with personal philosophy and familiarity with revox quality.

After a little poking around on the web I found the following review -

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/97195-revox-agora-b-mkii-speakers.html

Okay, let's go for a little review of both of them, I mean Mk I and Mk II.

I'll start with the Mk I since I've owned these for nearly two years by now.
These are real beasts. Small and old, yet SO much performing and amazing. In a way, I've never heard a speaker like this. Of course there are better, but the size/performance/price ratio is unbelievable. I am never going to sell them. One day, when I buy much bigger and better boxes, I will still keep these for bedroom or something.
They sound so open. So big. So fluid. So powerful in bass, even if they are missing a real bass driver. Having stood them on a pair of small stands the sound has lifted up from the floor and now they nearly sound like big speakers. After two years with no improvements in the hifi set, I am still being amazed. Still in love with them, I'd say.

But they lie.
Since I've bought the Mk II, I am experiencing a much more precise sound. Now I really understand what all the people were telling to me about the lack of detail, treble inadequacy, bass inaccuracy etc. Mk II are better. Technically. There's no doubt. In every aspect they sound more precise, better defined, the bass is more contoured, the details spring out, the voices sound like real and so forth. People who like classical music made their opinions after five minutes of listening and they were absolutely right.

Well, whatever.
I don't care.

To me, after switching to Mk II the sound dimished. It gained all that accuracy and everything, but somehow it also went smaller, regardless on the stands. The bass doesn't go so deep anymore and loses its punchiness in exhange for being well-defined. The midrange doesn't sound that liquid and seamless since then. I can now hear all the tiny things in the treble area but who cares. There's less life, less joy, less reality in the music for me. Now the speakers make no lies. They sound exactly like small boxes, just as they really are. They do not hide anything, nor do they make you feel like "wooow, now what's this!" anymore.

Definitely, the Mk I is my cup of tea. The Mk II is more like a monitor kind of a speaker, with all it's pros and cons. In many respects they remind me of the Studer A723 studio monitors which I also happened to have at home for some time. They actually use the same tweeter and midrange speakers.

Now, of course I was little exaggerating. Any of these two are neither the best or bad speakers. Compared to any modern competition within reasonable price margins they still kick ass. The built-in amps are a big plus; one doesn't need to seek an amplifier and spend another fortune for it. The sound color is very normal, neutral and pleasant, there's no harshness or synthetic impurity in it, they are not directional and the sweet-spot is huge, the sound is compact and seamless and everything. I have heard some definitely better speakers, such as Quadral Titan or B&W Matrix 800 or Dynaudio Consequence, but these cost different money and need strong amps that cost just as much also.

So, here's my summary:
Anyone who's looking for an accurate, detailed and monitor-like sound, should go for the Mk II.
But people who value features like rather huge sound mass with a lot of clarity and liquidity to it might find the Mk I better.

Does this do?
Sorry for being so wordy.

J.

PS: The Mk II are for sale... Czech Republic, Europe.

I have been in communication with the owner /seller for nearly a month. A real gentleman.

I bought a Revox stack a while back well below market value locally on CL. A B285 Receiver, B225 CD player, and B215 Cassette deck. The stack came with a pile of literature. The literature included a full line brochure which was where I was first introduced to the Revox speaker line and fell in love with the Agora's.........

Since then i have been doing all of CL searches daily and came across the CL link above. I have sent the owner a downpayment and will be driving the 1700 mile round trip one of the next couple of weekends.

Once I have them I will tell my entire Revox story and post LOTS of pictures.

Mark

Hello Mark - I have to say I'm excited for you and glad to see these special and unique Agora's going to a good home. Please do post up your thoughts / observations after you get them.

Congrats again!

Michael

Thanks! I would buy them on looks alone.........actually i guess that's what i'm doing as the review you posted is the only mention that i've heard anywhere about their sound. I also like the idea of a complete Revox system too i guess. :music:

The Vintage Knob keeps getting me in trouble. It was TVK's picture of the HK Citation Receiver that got me going as well.

I know that there is one AK member that has a pair of Agora's that he mentioned in another AK speaker thread if i recall correctly about Symbol B's......

Hopefully he will be along shortly to tell us some more about these beauties. I will post a note in this thread when i get them and tell the story in the Vintage Solid State or Speaker forums.

Mark

I have been in communication with the owner /seller for nearly a month. A real gentleman.

I bought a Revox stack a while back well below market value locally on CL. A B285 Receiver, B225 CD player, and B215 Cassette deck. The stack came with a pile of literature. The literature included a full line brochure which was where I was first introduced to the Revox speaker line and fell in love with the Agora's.........

Since then i have been doing all of CL searches daily and came across the CL link above. I have sent the owner a downpayment and will be driving the 1700 mile round trip one of the next couple of weekends.

Once I have them I will tell my entire Revox story and post LOTS of pictures.

Mark

This makes me happy! I'm glad that you are getting them and will be posting pictures and thoughts!!! Good luck with the 1,700 mile journey.

Awesome Mark! I, too, own some fairly "unkown / obscure" speakers - Shahinian Arc's and couldn't be more pleased! Sometimes going off the beaten path has great rewards. Good luck with the travels, and like I said, I look forward to hearing your opion's after you get them.

Michael

Thanks guys. I changed my avatar in the Agora's honor.

The Agora's can be operated in either active or passive mode. I'll be able to power them in passive mode with my B285 but it seems like the 3 100W internal amps should be taken advantage of. :banana:

I don't have a dedicated Preamp at this point.........only receivers and integrateds. I guess i need to start looking for a Revox Pre.

Congrats Mark.

Nothing beats a good rode trip for nice gear.:thmbsp:

Exactly! Thanks for the support.

The seller made the decision easy for me when he offered to throw in a B795 turntable, Revox's Disco Rack audio cabinet / rack, and over 50 pieces of brochures and literature.

I'm very excited.

Mark

That changed avatar looks like the Triton speaker system!

I don't believe the Agoras can be run in passive mode at all. They can be switched to take a high-level power amp signal though. But the internal drivers are always hard-wired to the internal amplifiers. I think they use the priciple of negative impedance conversion, which is impossible to achieve with an external power amp.

They will need a capacitor replacement - as with all ReVox, they most likely have the Frako electrolytics in them and the yellow Rifa class X supression caps.

Agora Bs (the first ones -around 1985) are VERY much on my most wanted list. But they were so expensive & rare here, I don't think they will ever appear locally for sale.
The later series were much taller, and had a very different cabinet design. (They are so different they really ought to have been given a different name)

Last edited:
Exactly! Thanks for the support.

The seller made the decision easy for me when he offered to throw in a B795 turntable, Revox's Disco Rack audio cabinet / rack, and over 50 pieces of brochures and literature.

I'm very excited.

Mark

I was so excited for ya I misspelled "road". :screwy:

That changed avatar looks like the Triton speaker system!

I don't believe the Agoras can be run in passive mode at all. They can be switched to take a high-level power amp signal though. But the internal drivers are always hard-wired to the internal amplifiers. I think they use the priciple of negative impedance conversion, which is impossible to achieve with an external power amp.

They will need a capacitor replacement - as with all ReVox, they most likely have the Frako electrolytics in them and the yellow Rifa class X supression caps.

Agora Bs (the first ones -around 1985) are VERY much on my most wanted list. But they were so expensive & rare here, I don't think they will ever appear locally for sale.
The later series were much taller, and had a very different cabinet design. (They are so different they really ought to have been given a different name)

Thanks for the thoughts steerpike. You are right. I misspoke. I reread the owner's manual and the Agora's can be connected to either a preamp or poweramp but are never a passive speaker.

The manual does state that when using a reciver or amplifier in which the power amp and pre can be disconnected that it is "better" to connect the speakers to the preamp output.

I can't quite get my head around how the speakers internal amplifiers handle the "high level" signal from a power amp in this mode?

Unfortunately the B285 that i have is the only receiver where the signal path cannot be opened between preamp and output stage.

So it sounds like the speakers can handle a signal from ANY preamp, integrated, receiver, etc?

I can't quite get my head around how the speakers internal amplifiers handle the "high level" signal from a power amp in this mode?
The loudspeaker just inserts a resistive divider into the input signal, so the 20V or so that a power amp puts out is reduced to around 1V appropriate for the Agora's active filter circuit.

Unfortunately the B285 that i have is the only receiver where the signal path cannot be opened between preamp and output stage.

So it sounds like the speakers can handle a signal from ANY preamp, integrated, receiver, etc?

The B286 was the equivalent of the B285 with pre-amp outputs instead of speaker outputs. The B285 can be modified fairly simply by a COMPETENT person to put out its pre-amp signal. But you don't want it damaged by a hacker.

Otherwise, just use the loudspeaker outs on the B285, as with any non-splitable receiver.

The loudspeaker just inserts a resistive divider into the input signal, so the 20V or so that a power amp puts out is reduced to around 1V appropriate for the Agora's active filter circuit.

The B286 was the equivalent of the B285 with pre-amp outputs instead of speaker outputs. The B285 can be modified fairly simply by a COMPETENT person to put out its pre-amp signal. But you don't want it damaged by a hacker.

Otherwise, just use the loudspeaker outs on the B285, as with any non-splitable receiver.

Makes since. Thanks steerpike. What's ironic is that up until yesterday there was a B286 on my local CL that has been listed for some time for $100.

Have you heard the original Agora B MKI?

Have you heard the original Agora B MKI?

Very briefly, when they were new. I needed an integrated amp, so I didn't pay too much attention to the active speakers at the dealer. What I really wanted were the Symbols - but not enough money!

Very briefly, when they were new. I needed an integrated amp, so I didn't pay too much attention to the active speakers at the dealer. What I really wanted were the Symbols - but not enough money!

Do you remember what the Symbols went for.....around 5K?

The seller of the Agora's stated that they were 4k and that he has dealer price lists.

Here are a couple of pictures. One of the grills has a snag but other than that they are REAL nice. I'm picking them up 12/2. Can't wait!

Mark

Attachments

• Agora.jpg
    Agora.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Disco Rack.jpg
    Disco Rack.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 35
I have no clue what they cost. But even if I knew the price here, it wouldn't help you get a US Dollar equivalent.

Back
Top Bottom