Class A and AB versus Switching and Non-Switching

I suffer from CRS so the classA/AB quest. is out, but has to do with % conduction
in a cycle. The new tekkies can tell ya.
But the switching thing has to do with the type of power supply. Non-switching is std 60hz supply with xfmr, rectifier, regulator, whereas a switching supply kicks up the the freq. in the hi khz range by engineering magic resulting a smaller xfmr, easier filtering and rect'ing and using less power but still able to yield hi V and current. the newer tekkies can tell ya more. I been out of the business awhile.

Last edited:
Well, one could argue that a class A is nonswitching in that the output device(s) is (are) biased "on" all the time, so there's no crossover at zero signal.

I agree, though, that I am likely to give misinformation, albeit with the best intentions... so I defer to someone more expert than I.

"Mein Fuehrer, I can valk !"

I posted this in the Pioneer forum, but maybe I should have tried a different forum to get a larger audience. Is it possible to move this thread, or should I just start a new thread?

This has been explained before, here and elsewhere. A "google" search will bring numerous hits explaining amplifier classes.

Thanks for the info. I found a thread in the General forum about "Amp Class Definitions", which almost covers everything I needed.

Back
Top Bottom