Class-D amplifier for subwoofer?

msh1999

hey guys,
planning on building 2 subs for my stereo system, and I need 400-500w at 4ohm.

Though i got 2 questions\problems

Are the cheap ones any good for hi-fi use? the subwoofers will use the Morel Ultimo which is 500$ per piece, so i dont feel like buying amplifier that wont suck everything they got:D

And if Class-D is the answer, what should i buy?

btw i need to connect them directly to the amplifier speaker output, because i dont have digital output, so i guess class D plate amplifier is what i should look for.
but im open to everything you guys say!
thanks beforehand to those who help!:angel:

I have a REL Q201e with a hurt plate amp . having 4 of these subs I decided to try a Crown XLS2502 class D amp . I installed binding posts in two subs and good too go . The Crown has a crossover built in

Pay attention to the reviews regarding fan noise and lighting if you get one of the pro audio class D amps. Some are really obnoxious on one or both counts. Spend the few extra bucks and get one with DSP.

I'm pretty sure class D amps were developed for bass - before they started sounding good that is. Plenty of efficient power and quality didn't matter so much.

Now you could surely get decent power and quality in a decent class D module for a sub.

There will be plenty of decent low price options out there including Chinese units.

Last edited:
Check out the iNuke series at PE. They have the power you need AND a built in DSP! You can run 2 subs with one amp for half the price of two good plate amps and you get the DSP to boot.

I contacted Crown before selecting my sub amp; they strongly recommended the xls1502 for home use b/c it's a lot quieter than the other models I was considering, has selectable input voltage, and filters, of course.
Very happy with it (and the quick response from crown tech support).
Due to a quirk in my present amp stack location, I discovered I can actually see the fan fire up and shut down on it from my listening position (kind of an eye-flicker thing)...can't hear it all though, and otherwise wouldnt' even know it was running.
The blue power indicator leds on it are kind of bright, but at least you can turn off the display backlighting.

Back
Top Bottom