Class D, IcePower, etc- who's running what, and why?

Since this thread was first posted, I've switched to Wyred4Sound mAmps (ICE-based) for my main system. The best amps I've ever had in the system. The Channel Islands D200s are now in System #2.

Speaking of powerhouse kits....what would be a good & cheap digital amp like the TPA that does good low impedance performance with shitload of power?

It's nice to get some feedback on this amp. I'd love to hear a shoot out between this amp and some of the DIY 3116 builds. For some of use ready made is the only real option.

cubdog

They also have a mini battery powered amp, but do not specify what kind of chip it uses. I went ahead and emailed that question, he's fairly quick to respond.

For the cost of the TPA just need to get one, will certainly not break the bank and make purchase of a slightly less cheap amp any less likely. Then can do a shoot out.

They also have a mini battery powered amp, but do not specify what kind of chip it uses. I went ahead and emailed that question, he's fairly quick to respond.

For the cost of the TPA just need to get one, will certainly not break the bank and make purchase of a slightly less cheap amp any less likely. Then can do a shoot out.

My problem is that I already own a half dozen different chip amps. All sound better than they should. Buying more just to see how they sound is an expense I don't need. Now if someone else would do so I'd be pretty happy with that. :yes:

cubdog

My problem is that I already own a half dozen different chip amps. All sound better than they should. Buying more just to see how they sound is an expense I don't need. Now if someone else would do so I'd be pretty happy with that. :yes:

cubdog

Sensitivity to stuff is also something that I suffer via my SO. So it helps if I make good choices the first time.

Just as a follow-up...

I got the D-Sonics M3-1500s about 1 to 1 1/2 years ago. The W4S mAmp didn't have the drive to drive my Ohms well in the long run.( Their older amps are better in that regard.) The D-Sonics do. High power, high gain amp that even with a passive preamp, have incredible dynamics and slam.
Jack

Jack G

following up on an old post here. What ohms were your running, the larger ones? They can be finnicky with power.

Im trying to decide between a channel W4S and the Dsonic for my Ohm MWTs. any thoughts appreciated. thanks

I've got the 5000s. I've run them with the W4S STI-500 amp. It works well, albeit a tad lean.The W4S mAmps, not so well. The D-sonics are noticeably warmer, smoother with a deeper soundstage than the STI-500.
The d-sonics have a huge amount of gain, 32db so even with a passive preamp, I've still got tones of gain. This translates to some serious dynamics and headroom and an iron grip on the Ohms.
HTH,
Jack

PS. Both W4S and the D-sonics seem very sensitive to cables, vibration control and have a fondness for clean power.

In the main system I'm running Gato Audio's DIA-250 which use the Pascal class D module, from Denmark. Jeff Rowland's Continuum S2 uses the same module. I'm happy with the sound.

DIA-250_5.jpg

(pic from Gato's site)

For my TV system, I have the W4S mINT which uses ICE power, (modified, I believe), and it works well for that.

Would really like to hear the Ncore 1200 modules that have been getting rave reviews, and used in Merrill's and Mola-Mola's monoblocks. Big price jump for those amps, though.

In the main system I'm running Gato Audio's DIA-250 which use the Pascal class D module, from Denmark. Jeff Rowland's Continuum S2 uses the same module. I'm happy with the sound.

DIA-250_5.jpg

(pic from Gato's site)

For my TV system, I have the W4S mINT which uses ICE power, (modified, I believe), and it works well for that.

Would really like to hear the Ncore 1200 modules that have been getting rave reviews, and used in Merrill's and Mola-Mola's monoblocks. Big price jump for those amps, though.
That's a new one to me. I'll have to read up on them. Thanks for the post. :yes:

cubdog

D-sonics's M3-1500 amp use a pascal module. Their others use Ablitec.
The Gato is new to me. I like the Pascal modules, warm, smooth and still detailed.
Jack

Last edited:
well built class d can destroy a lot of much pricier class a, a/b, tubes.

but just compare a halo 21 with even some of the best class d modules from abletec or hypex and its quite clear for everyone that the best of class d isnt perfect and not better at all then some class a or a/b or tubes amp.
for price/performance, its quite crazy what a 75$ amp can do though

Last edited:
I bought a Crown XLS 2500 about month ago cause I like the idea of the built-in 24/db crossovers in them and was gonna use it for future subwoofer projects as an idea. Other reason to be honest as well I wanted to see all the hype was about cause lot people in ht hobby been using these on 15-20k speakers.

I was skeptical at first but, knew it wasn't the 70's anymore when class d was in its infancy and I love crown and their amps so I thought to myself "why not?". I needed back up amp too anyways as well.

Anyhoo, when I got it and hooked it up I was actually impressed by it's clarity. It was very clean sounding. Not grainy, coarse, edgy at all. Very smooth and plays whatever signal straight forward.

It is my main amp and love it. I like the look pf it too. Runs super cool and I never heard the fan come on once.

I can tell you though the input on them is sensitive (why lot people even pro community is edgy about) to the type of preamp/mixer you run. More straightforward the source and preamp/mixer is, the cleaner/better it will sound/perform.

I use the xls 2500 as my main amp now and drive pair of rebuilt altec lansing speakers (1204b cabs, recapped 904-8A crossovers, 511c horns/ 808-8b drivers, 921-8A woofers) and really enjoy the sound. Crown did good job designing these class d amps.

Back
Top Bottom