1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Classic High-End Gear

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by Negotiableterms, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Nemo bit

Nemo bit Active Member

20180511_052601(0).jpg
    New addition found it Seattle CL. Had to drive +ferry to Bremerton and it was sure worth it !
    It cosmetics are 10
    Innards are clean enough for a formal dinner gathering and exterior is flawless. I admired these in the mid 70s and had several friends whom went that and speaker lab builds most did the super 7s
    It's funny as I have a set myself and will rotate them in and see how they match. It has a very rich full sound. I am a happy man. The house next door? Remains to be seen.....

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    BigElCat, Fitero, John Daly and 6 others like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8642 Subscriber

Proof positive, good things come to those who wait ...

3. Nemo bit

Nemo bit Active Member

That is so true a great deal of the iconic pieces were far out of reach and many times still are.
    I still have managed to be in the right place at the right time to finally own many of those very same.
    Its been quite bit of wait time but honestly I think I appreciate them more now than had I had them back then.
    With the change from analog to digital I probably would have forsaken the really good in search of the new improved latest greatest gear that was promised.
    I really never saw that happen and perhaps I missed something but there is something to being an active part of setting up and getting up out of your chair to turn a record or turn up the volume for that tune that is a bit special.
    I have a remote for a surround setup. Its usually in the hands of my wife if she hapoens to be home.
    I leave it off as TV is not of interest other than a bit of news.
    I think I was born analog. I am ok with that.
    Thanks for the notice! I am a staunch believer in good things come.
    My Brother says I have the patience of Job.
    I'm not so sure of that.
    Cheers!

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  4. Nemo bit

Nemo bit Active Member

:bye:
    First off have you read the first posts on the home page that give insite as to how to first do the intro. I am rather new to the forum but if you search a bit it will give a direction and both how to start and post which it looks as if you have done that here. I would do a search first to brand specific = yamaha and than go to the top of the appropriate thread and there should be an option to post ne thread and simply post your question. I have had good response doing so. I only wish I could be of more help but I still flail more often than not! Good luck and rest assured the solution will come to you very quickly and you'll be up and running before you know it!

5. Nemo bit

Nemo bit Active Member

Also did you do a search for the schematics you needed. Lots of times they have them available on site just do search and if they have them available which many times they do you will have them also! good luck.

6. Nemo bit

Nemo bit Active Member

:needpics:
    Ok here is a bit more... I picked a pair of the first series Klipsch Cornwall lls up! 1968ish
    Vintage special order in dark Walnut and upgraded grills a rare pair it seems. I have had the big boys (klipschorns when a young man) and as I seem to have far to much time to reminisce..The hunt began ( that's a whole different story and for another day) I got these home only to find if left alone with any other klipsch upon my return they grew larger!
    I have a rather large listening room but suddenly it was smaller. So New meaning when I mention rotation where in the past I simply went to a different wall to run which system was in rotation I needed to make choices that included some sacrifices. I set up with big power and soon remembered 1 watt friends 10 watts the neighborhood statement that still rings true 45 years later.
    I wound up using my 2238b and seem to remember bringing them home on the Tuesday after memorial day weekend and have been in audience pretty much since Setting up. I will sleep sometime I am sure. Have I done so this week? I think so but not much. I am busy with my recurring 2nd child hood. Unlike cats I am lucky there seems to be no final # as to limit one may experience!
    I know this...:needpics:

Attached Files:

guiller, ultumax and Audioraven like this.

7. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

Marantz 10B is not for many here a useful tuner in real world reception conditions. It is superb sound quality wise. SCA and HD carrier rejection blows, takes too much signal strength for acceptable Stereo to be usable in anything but urban reception, not selective enough either. The one in my office does find the birdies. McIntosh MR 67 and MR 71 better, McIntosh MR 74 better yet, MR 78 works best yet in any kind of adjacent channel reception environment. In 1964 East Tennessee FM reception conditions, it was SOTA. I have a lot of the dial in my area with adjacent stations. Or second adjacent stations.

Bill Ferris and onemug like this.
  8. WhiteSE

WhiteSE Is Lute Gluten Free?? Subscriber

Wow, I haven't visited this thread for a long time...

I had experience owning these Bel Canto Orfeos, and obviously, I sold them...The only pair I have ever seen anywhere for sale in 20 years.

[​IMG]

I am not sure if they qualify for Classic yet...

Ds2000, Nemo bit and guiller like this.
  9. Mark B

Mark B Yamaha Fan Subscriber

Yamaha GT-2000 direct drive turntable

image3-11.JPG

10. Ds2000

Ds2000 All About every cool stereo component. Subscriber

These Stax bombs killed the family company. Doesn’t get much more “classic” than that.
    They are great though.
    752326EC-88D6-4713-A6FD-DB4F71EF0BBB.jpeg

Archguy, John Daly, Roadrash and 4 others like this.
  11. ultumax

ultumax Super Member

Wish I could find a job , going to need to find a decent one to ever afford these. There 5kea or more new wow awsome set up !!! Holy grail:)
    Used are probably cheaper still a lot I bet.
    Always love Horns for movies , music

12. Nemo bit

Nemo bit Active Member

I will hang on ti these for sure. I just put Bob Crites crossovers in and they are happier with every hour only getting better and better. I have run across some other good finds lately and today plan to pick up a Kenwood kr-7600 that I will bring back to glory also a pair of Polk monitor 7cs so the stable is ever growing . I think a friend is planing to pick up my
    Kenwood KR-9600 and my klipsch kg-5.2s also new with upgraded Crites crossovers. I am feeling a bit of Remorse over this sale as It took a lifetime to finally own this magnificent piece of equipment but I know its going to a home it will be loved. I know people say that Kenwoods are not in the same caliber but I have em all Marantz Pioneer Sansui and honestly I see build quality unmatched and the big kenny can reproduce the sound that each of the others are known for. I am not saying all kenwoods but the 9600 is a unicorn. I have had many come thru and honestly all were operational after all these years most of them even had 19 working lamps for Heavens sake. I as a rule have to do more to The others to bring full health back. I will not hesitate about bringing another big Kenny on board i know that the 9050 is in some folks eyes a superior piece but I am not in that party they are only related by Name not pedegree.anyone who gets upset please refer to the orion Blue book this is not only my opinion but is reflected in the Orion values the 9600 while several hundred dollars less than the 9050 holds a much higher resale and wholesale figure so thats always a good solid bet. Still my all time favorite is Daves i haven't found any that holds a candle to Dynaco any Dynaco from the smallest ti the bigest tubes or solid state that kicks butt hands down blows my phase linear out a the room but honestly all of the gear built then is still operating like clock work. In this home its old school rules .when some one tell me tha new gear has such accuracy the distoration levels are bla bla I say nothing but to myself think I cant and never have been able to he frequencies in those ranges think although my dog surely can she still doesnt care in fact its a bit annoying . Me I am stuck in a different time zone a much kinder gentler time. We all had gun racks loaded heavy when going to school. We never had any problem as a result but the dynamics were soon to change with the video game revolution and when it was turned in to the sensory version that indoctrated our youth to violence at levels most of our military have not had. The average middle Schooler had a indoctrination that was more all encompasing than if they had been dosed MK ultra just my take on current disposable everything not much made today will be operational 50yrs in the future other than the gear from the golden years as much as things change its nice that some others stay the same, Nemo
    :)
    "I started out with out with nothing... And I still have most of it left"

Ds2000 likes this.
  13. ElCovina

ElCovina New Member

Mc Intosh MR 78, Marantz 2270, JBL L 100,

Ds2000 likes this.
  14. 930turbo

930turbo Active Member

E4F9067C-82BD-4B80-AC4B-DF4B7323E21A.jpeg CCEE27F9-34D0-46AA-BCB6-8DC6E83EF86E.jpeg Hi ,

I still have these vintage high end system . Not getting enough use . The D79B’s is waiting for a recapped . Probably I’ll have it done next year .

15. try1256

try1256 Super Member

Not sure what the cut off date is for vintage anymore but here is my rig. My BAT VK-3i and VK-P5 are from around 1997, the VK-200 circa 2000. The Infinities and the Sota turntable were both manufactured in 1987 and the PX-3 is early 80's. I am really happy with the way that it is sounding. Tube goodness but quiet as a mouse.

IMG_5050.JPG

TomB19, guiller, Audioraven and 2 others like this.
  16. DannyO62

DannyO62 New Member

I would remove the Martin Logans, never cared for their sound.

17. Mike805214

Mike805214 New Member

Wow that is some great stuff. I’m a newby to this sight. I made a account a while back but never cared to look into it. This stuff is freaken awesome.
    Here is a couple of items I just finished repairing for customers. And a couple of receivers I’m selling.

18. Mike805214

Mike805214 New Member

19. guiller

guiller Toscaninichus Australis

Welcome to the AK community!

20. automojo

automojo OurBandCouldBeYourLife Subscriber

Don't make speakers like this anymore.....speakers with soul!! :thumbsup:
    ESS AMT3 AAA+.jpg

Audioraven likes this.