Classic High-End Gear

Yes and I would love to hear these huge differences in SQ that justify buying high end as opposed to vintage gear.
It's there if you choose to audition it. Ever hear Audio Research? Ayre? Conrad-Johnson? D'Agostino? Pass Labs? VTL?

My first major recalibration of how good audio systems could sound came in 1974 at age 17 when I heard tri-amped Magneplanar Tympani IIIs driven by Audio Research electronics. There have been other such events of awareness over the years as I've auditioned HP's magnificent systems.

I'm certainly glad my awareness is not limited to Pioneer receivers! Even my garage system with Music Hall and Hypex electronics offers higher transparency. :)

Last edited:
It's there if you choose to audition it. Ever hear Audio Research? Ayre? Conrad-Johnson? D'Agostino? Pass Labs? VTL?

My first major recalibration of how good audio systems could sound came in 1974 at age 17 when I heard tri-amped Magneplanar Tympani IIIs driven by Audio Research electronics. There have been other such events of awareness over the years as I've auditioned HP's magnificent systems.

I'm certainly glad my awareness is not limited to Pioneer receivers! ;)
I've heard high end gear at shops before and while the setup was amazing I was hearing the $20,000 speakers.Yeah I've heard of all those brands and I have my own separates by Phase Linear and Citation. So I'm not the audio rube you all think I am.

Yeah I've heard of all those brands
So, tell us more about that since few dealers stock all those brands.

What components were used in the Audio Research system?

What components were used in the Ayre system?

What components were used in the Conrad-Johnson system?

What components were used in the Pass Labs system?

What components were used in the VTL system?

I certainly hope you used something more discerning than Jethro Tull for your evaluation.

I didn't say I heard those brands I said I've heard of them.Nothing wrong with JT but when testing some new gear out my go to albums are DSOTM, Aja,Kind of Blue and Dvorak's 9th. Is that ok with you? Gee I hope so.Now if you'll excuse me the wife's on her way home and time for dinner and desert.

Ahh,I see so high end is mainly about paying more money for equal or less performance. Thanks for clearing that up.:)
You got issues, namely an inferiority complex in what you like to own, you do this all the time in threads. Facts are facts in the audio electronic world, receivers and AVRs are not high end audio nor do they present the best audio quality. They are all connivance audio with a decent level of SQ, a compromise.

Dave enjoy what you enjoy owning, but you can't claim it's the same quality of sound as other equipment thats no holds bar for SQ alone.

You got issues, namely an inferiority complex in what you like to own, you do this all the time in threads. Facts are facts in the audio electronic world, receivers and AVRs are not high end audio nor do they present the best audio quality. They are all connivance audio with a decent level of SQ, a compromise.

Dave enjoy what you enjoy owning, but you can't claim it's the same quality of sound as other equipment thats no holds bar for SQ alone.
Thanks Doc for the analysis,so that would mean you and others have a superiority complex. Opinions aren't facts and until I hear differently that is my opinion.They probably do sound a little better
but does that warrant spending all that extra cash? I feel the money would be better spent on new speakers. As I said I do own separates and as far as I can tell the SQ is comparable. I believe it's all psycho-acoustics, you think it's better because someone told you it is.
I'm sorry my knowledge of audio is not up to where it should be but what is "connivance audio" never heard that one before.

sorry man:oops:
Dave I'm sorry also, but it's just you do the same thing in threads like this. Just read the OP and title and you'd get the idea of the thread, it shouldn't be a argument.

I buy and use all types of audio, high end separates to cheap crap spanning most decades, most TOTL within their class. However I own a TOTL Sony 90s compact system, the speakers sound great hooked up to some of my high end gear.
Featured here, and I liked them better than some high end reference studio monitors.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ok-im-pissed-now-these-speakers-s.633314/
But that system nor the speakers are high end audio built for no holds bar SQ.

My new to me 9090db is TOTL
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/so-i-guess-ill-be-getting-a-9090db.851061/

IMG_0015.jpg IMG_0016.jpg IMG_0014.jpg

And my BA-F1/CA-F1 just recapped, and you can see the Sony compact speakers being use don't belong in this thread. While fine equipment and can bring many joy and all they ever need, they are not high end audio. I also would not be offended if someone needed to tell me that, I understand the compromises made to design this equipment. But it was never built for all out SQ, it was built for connivance and space restraints, or all that one needed. There was better equipment when these pieces where new and today, that's what this thread is about, those little gems that are high end over the years.

Last edited:
convenience Dan. the word you're looking for is convenience.:D

and in the immortal words of Foghorn leghorn....."that's a joke son"

Dave I'm sorry also, but it's just you do the same thing in threads like this.
Don't you just love it when folks make sweeping value and sound quality judgements about that which they've never been exposed to?

Let me tell you all about what I've never experienced. :)

Last edited:
How about this Audible Illusions Modulus preamp. Two mono volume controls and a power supply in a separate box scream "high end". Most of them are Black but I've always been partial to Silver fronts.
M3B-1-R4SMALL.png

VAC Vintage High Power Mk II Monophonic Power Amplifier

100 watt per channel mono blocks.

IMG_3526.JPG IMG_3529.JPG IMG_3525.JPG IMG_3528.JPG

IMG_0208.jpg

Valve Amplifier Company know as VAC now, did so good with their early work they turned into a premiere company in the audio world. The thing is some of there stuff is hard to find and there isn't a ton of info on the net. It would be good to research their product names to search for anything by them.

Last edited:
How about a pair of Luxman MB-3045 mono blocks? Vintage definitely, high end undoubtedly, very rare, of course. In addition, they use output tubes that are pretty much unobtainable. There are some floating around that have been modified to run other output tubes.

Another stunning performer from VAC

VAC Pa100/100 (Valve Amplification Company)
Ahh yes, the PA 100/100 . Another favorite of mine as well. I've owned the 80/80 and 100/100 , both were put up for adoption and found new homes. I've retained my VAC Auricle MKII and a set of VAC PA160 MKII mono amps. but it might be time for the PA160's to find a new home as well. I've got a case of "too many tube amps syndrome" , and I've been digging the sounds of the Manley Classic 300b monos quite a bit.

That's a nice set up of VAC gear over there @4-2-7 :)

These are quite a bit different from the PA160 MKII's so no direct comparisons can really be made by me. I enjoy both models. and the 140lb CAT amp that they are sitting on ain't too shabby either.
DSC_0512.JPG
DSC_0514.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom