Classic High-End Gear

How about the Great American Sound gear! GAS! Designed by the late James Bongiorno and built in Chatsworth, CA 1975 -85. When Ampzilla appeared it was proclaimed by TAS/Harry Pearson as the world's best-sounding SS amp! I presently own two Son of Ampzilla's, a Grandson and a Thoebe preamp.

I nominate two speaker systems from the original INFINITY: the 2000A (hybrid cone/cone/electrostatic tweeter) and the Monitor 1A (cone/dome/Walsh tweeter). Built in Chatsworth, CA 1972 -75. I own both and can attest to their superior sound quality!

I still have a pair of KLH Nines in use. A one-owner pair I bought in 1992 from Hi Fi Classics of Far Rockaway, NY. $500! Have them connected to a Carver TFM15. Am planning to use my restored pair of Futterman H3AA's with them!
They are said to actually return to production with assistance from Arthur Janszen’s son, David who currently refurbishes the originals.

While innovative, the quality of the table just was not there for it to be considered a classic IMHO
Regards,
Jim

It's a pity it's impossible to find some parts for them, though. It's not a bad sounding table, granted, but there are far better sounding ones out there, I will agree. I appreciate the electronics in it a lot tough. Innovative is definitely a word for it. The combination of mechanical and electronic, for it's time, is like fluid in motion to watch. Pulling it apart to clean and restore this one of mine was a lot of fun.

You can't have a vintage classic high end thread without Infinity's top of the line speaker of the 70's. In fact this picture was from a stereo magazine contest give away. The dream system giveaway.

The Infinity Quantum Line Source One speakers.

QLS_1_7_1a.jpg

Bob Carver, who doesn't know of his name? Speaker system that he introduced back in the 70's was cutting edge for the times, and I should add, a pleasure to hear.

The Phase Linear, Phase III Loud Speaker System.

PhaseIII%20Kopie.jpg

I have not had an opportunity to listen to many of the equips mentioned in this thread, so I guess I am no expert. .These I mention here are what I have that others here have agreed with.

I bought and still have the Dahlquist DQ-10, which has been mentioned here, but I never thought it was a such great speaker as many here believe. I have the Rectilinear IIIs and think they sound pretty good even without recapping (soon). I still have the Rabco SLT-8 BTW,

J Gordon Holt listed my Heath AR-15 for one quarter only.

Pardon the mess. I tend to listen, not look

turtle-fi.jpg

Back
Top Bottom