Classic Tube Audio - Camas, WA, Feedbacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly was the nature of the criticism - that repair costs ran over estimate(s) or that the repair work is substandard?

Repair estimates running over is entirely understandable. Shoddy work is another story.

Perhaps 'accurate' would be a better word. And let me state again that I have never met or done business with him and have no reason to doubt his integrity. I have certainly heard more positive than negative things.
I'm sorry if I'm giving off any negative vibe, I don't mean to. I've just found Pat to be one of the nicest, friendliest and most decent guys that I've met in a long,long time. Evidently I surmised that his integrity was being called into question and I felt it necessary for me to defend him personally. Please just call him or email him directly and be sure to tell him that you heard of him through AudioKarma. :)

What exactly was the nature of the criticism - that repair costs ran over estimate(s) or that the repair work is substandard?

Repair estimates running over is entirely understandable. Shoddy work is another story.
From my recollection it originally was to do with final cost of repair/restoration coming in higher than 'estimate' and something else (maybe unrelated) about some "contentious communication" of which none of us know enough of the story to pass judgement on.

This is very pertinent to the discussion and let's keep it that way. I'd hate to see a man's reputation sullied by folks that have never actually dealt with Pat. Thank you.
My apologies. I had created a similar thread to inquire myself and was referencing what had been said there.

My apologies. I had created a similar thread to inquire myself and was referencing what had been said there.

No worries ScottFan, I just wanted to divert the thread's direction before it became something it shouldn't. It's been my experience that a moderator who moderates the least, moderates the best. :) Well, most of the time anyway.

I can't comment on the subject person, but I can comment as a technician.

When we give estimates, that is exactly what we are doing. Estimating. The more experienced we are and the better we are, means we are more often right, but not always right. And it is very true that once we get into the guts, we may find something unexpected, or we may find one of those situations that just throws everything off. That being said, what also makes a tech great is how he handles these tricky situations.

And finally, you can't please everyone. There are some customers that just can't be satisfied. It is their nature.

When we give estimates, that is exactly what we are doing. Estimating. The more experienced we are and the better we are, means we are more often right, but not always right. And it is very true that once we get into the guts, we may find something unexpected, or we may find one of those situations that just throws everything off. That being said, what also makes a tech great is how he handles these tricky situations.

And finally, you can't please everyone. There are some customers that just can't be satisfied. It is their nature.
Trust me I get all of that and I'm only responding to what you are saying, not insinuating this about anyone in particular - but it seems that estimates should take into account how often this happens when figuring an average for what a particular job will take. Not estimate based on a best-case scenario. I know that I would be unhappy if I were given an estimate of $300 and the final bill was $800. Because what is my choice once the equipment is torn into? But if the estimate was $625 I wouldn't feel that it was wildly off and could make a better informed decision about whether to have the work done in the first place.

Most shops I've used give you an estimate with a 15-20% over statement in the work order. I realize it's not an exact science when estimating so allowing for some wiggle room I'm not that worried.

And it actually seems to me that someone who has been doing this for a while might be able to simply charge a flat rate for equipment they are familiar with based on the average of what the job has taken before based on visual inspection and a brief bench test. That way the tech makes the same amount of money over the long term and there are no unpleasant surprises for the customer.

The OP's question has been answered by several so it's time to close it while it's still recognizable. If you have any questions why not contact Pat himself and go from there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom