Cleaning a brass faceplate..?

Rob Thomas

I know this has been touched on briefly in Don's excellent post about Fisher deep-cleaning, but as I am in the minority with a brass faceplate, what would you use that wouldn't inadvertently remove the lettering?

I just polished a Fisher X-202 brass face plate, I used some automotive polish I have had for many years, very similar to Never Dull. The lettering turned out to be very durable, I rubbed pretty good and was just careful not to rub too long in one place where the lettering is. I was pretty amazed how good it came out, and found it very hard to take a picture of it afterwards because of reflections. I made sure to wipe off the residue with a damp cloth, and apply a light wax at the end to help protect the finish. It was a scary process at first, but soon the results put the fears to rest. There were areas that the lettering had worn thin from use, these areas showed up more obvious after the shine appeared, but overall I'm very pleased.

20170512_070238.jpg 20170510_084924.jpg 20170510_151715.jpg

I just polished a Fisher X-202 brass face plate, I used some automotive polish I have had for many years, very similar to Never Dull. The lettering turned out to be very durable, I rubbed pretty good and was just careful not to rub too long in one place where the lettering is. I was pretty amazed how good it came out, and found it very hard to take a picture of it afterwards because of reflections. I made sure to wipe off the residue with a damp cloth, and apply a light wax at the end to help protect the finish. It was a scary process at first, but soon the results put the fears to rest. There were areas that the lettering had worn thin from use, these areas showed up more obvious after the shine appeared, but overall I'm very pleased.

View attachment 928388 View attachment 928386 View attachment 928387
Thanks Steve! I was afraid because I've heard that the lettering on the brushed aluminum faceplates are much more durable. That picture really does show a good level of shine!

Thanks Steve! I was afraid because I've heard that the lettering on the brushed aluminum faceplates are much more durable. That picture really does show a good level of shine!
I was never brave enough to try it until I purchased an amp from Gordon that he polished with Never Dull, it ends up being a mirror shine that pictures become very difficult to take of. My picture really doesn't do the results justice, I'm very pleased.

Here's my TA-600 shortly after I polished it up with Mother's Mag Polish. I put 2 coats of Butcher's Paste Wax. Don't use a cleaner wax. Johnson's or Butcher's PASTE wax are pure carnauba wax with no cleaners or abrasives.
index.php

I had great results with neverdull on a 500C, but didn't dare try it on a brass faceplate.
Use a cotton swab around the lettering just to be safe.

index.php

Here's my TA-600 shortly after I polished it up with Mother's Mag Polish. I put 2 coats of Butcher's Paste Wax. Don't use a cleaner wax. Johnson's or Butcher's PASTE wax are pure carnauba wax with no cleaners or abrasives.
index.php
Turned out great Larry!

This is a Before and After of my 80-R Tuner/preamp I got a few years ago. Lot's of Brasso and a whole T-Shirt (an old and holy one).
Before. It was really dark and dingy.
index.php

And after. I redo it once a year with MOTHER's MAG polish and a coat of Johnsons Paste wax.
index.php

The lettering around the knobs is stamped in. Also "THE FISHER" under the dial. All are painted in a maroon color from the factory. The birds and "Series" & Eighty" surrounding the center knob are not painted from the factory.

Larry

Last edited:
I'd get more aggressive with mine bit the lettering is just too fragile. I'd strip it if there were a lettering stencil available...

Get some Self Stick pin striping and used it to cover the lettering. Now get aggressive with it. The pin striping is fairly substantial and shouldn't be hurt by some polishing. Then peel the strips off and polish the lettering lightly with out "rubbing them out". You should be able to blend the 2 together.

SEE?!?!?! Even us SQUIDS can come up with 1/2 decent idea's.
Do you know why there are MARINE's are on NAVY Ship's??
S
C
R
o
l
l

D

o

w

n
. BECAUSE!!!!

..SHEEP are all too Obvious!!!!!

Anybody ever try tarn-x ?

PS ... clear coat shouldn't be necessary with any of the "magic wadding" type cleaners. Those have a surface sealant built in.

Back
Top Bottom