Cleaning controls

Richs_Trains

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hey all,

A while back I posted about a tech I had work on my 4400 and when I asked him about how he went about cleaning controls on the units, he told me he did not like Caig products and instead used something called "Tri Flow Lubricant". I mentioned this in a post and almost all the comments were against using this product. I fought the temptation to use it for about a year. I had bought what was supposed to be a working 1060B because I wanted to see the differences with the 1060, but the seller sent a dead shorted, filthy 1060. When I told him about it, he said his secretary made the listing and she did it incorrectly. He told me to just keep the unit. Well, I re-capped it and replaced the blown outputs and I was amazed that I actually fixed it. It's biggest problem at this point was constant cutting out of the channels due to dirt. I cleaned the controls probably 10 times and it would still cut out and running through the various controls would bring it back. It was my outside stereo and it was very frustrating because you have to come in to get the channel back and of course it would fail as soon as you sit down. The problem was in the balance and volume controls, so I bought a set on ebay and decided I would try the "Tri Flow Lubricant" on the problem pots. First, it seemed the connections were even worse, so I operated the pots and hit them with some de-oxit. Wow, have not had a problem since, both channels always there no static and clean sound and it has been months. I am just putting this out there if someone has a pot of control that you can't seem to clean, I was amazed that this worked. Rich

Good to know. Sounds like a good tool to have in the arsenal. What works in one application doesn’t always work in every application. Sounds like Tri Flow saved you from having to disassemble pots. :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom