cleaning deoxiting buttons 22xx series

sssboa

Hi

Is there any youtube video or post where I could see the best method to clean those spring buttons of 2270?

Thx,
Andy

There is a sticky thread about disassembling the switches near the top of this Marantz forum. Short of disassembling the switches, it's basically spraying Deoxit into the switch around the shaft in front followed by spraying into the small rectangular hole on the bottom of each switch. Of course, that requires opening the unit and removing the tone board to get access to the bottoms of several of the switches.

Yeah, thx. You think D100 will be good? It's the thick one with no solvent.
Do they need some lubrication as well besides cleaning?

Lots of opinions on that and I'm no expert. But I use Deoxit D5 on switches, followed by compressed air to minimize residue. On pots, I use Deoxit D5 followed by Faderlube F5, followed by compressed air to minimize residue. But there are lots of other ideas on the best way to clean them without doing damage.

Yeah, I just read the sticky. If I don't disassamble I will use D100 first, if this is not enouth then a contact cleaner with solvent, compressed air, and F100 at the end.
If I dissassemble then maybe simple isopropanol or other solvent followed by F100.

BTW. What lube/grease do you guys use? (No, don't mean in bedroom :)
I tried faderlube F100 but this is very thin, I can still feel the parts grinding against each other in pots, not smooth enough.
What about traditional brown thick grease? Any names?

I wish I had a picture, but I couldn't find one. The switches are long rectangular components that extend horizontally into the unit. Most of them have a small rectangular hole - maybe 2mm X 3mm - in the middle of the bottom. For the switches on either end of the unit, you can usually visualize these by removing the bottom of the case. The switches in the middle of the unit are covered by the tone board. You have to remove the knobs and faceplate. (If knobs are hard to remove, protect the faceplate with two pieces of tape or just paper towel, put two spoons under either side of the knob, and tilt the spoon handles down with equal pressure. The knob should lift straight off with minimal chance of damaging the shaft.) Then remove the nuts from the tone control pots and pull the tone board back and out of the way to visualize the middle switches. At that point, you should be able to see all of the rectangular holes on the bottoms af the switches. Use Deoxit D5 or even CRC, and spray with the red straw directly into the square holes. (Hint: pack paper towels around the area you are working on to minimize cleanup). Since the faceplate is off, also spray directly around the square shafts where they enter the switch. In every case, front and bottom, work the switches 20-30 times as you give it spritzes off and on. This should clean the switches as much as you can without disassembly. In most cases, it is adequate. Some people use Faderlube afterward, I'm in the camp of not using it because switches don't need the oily residue to operate well, and the oil is a dust catcher. At the very end, I use canned compressed air with red straw to blow out the excess. Then I wait at least thirty minutes before firing up to let all of the solvent evaporate. Hope this helps! :beerchug:
Steve

FWIW I drill holes in the back of the top plate to get juice in. Some switches are bitches.

Disassembly is not a trivial thing.
Well, it is easier than reassembly.

Back
Top Bottom