Cleaning Pots and Switches on a Pioneer SX-980

Okay, I think I got the switches and buttons cleaned real good. I guess i can get good access to the pots from behind. The one that don't seem to have any hole to get the nozzle in is the volumn pot. I see no access into that one.

Also the the Tone Turn over control isn't a Pot. it's more of some sort of slide type switch. Different from the others. Where would I squirt those two??

Okay, I think I got the switches and buttons cleaned real good. I guess i can get good access to the pots from behind. The one that don't seem to have any hole to get the nozzle in is the volumn pot. I see no access into that one.
Hey Ed.
The Volume pot is the one with the sticker on the back that I was telling you about that you need to feel through the sticker and poke a hole through it and be sure to tape it back up when you are done.
Steve

Hi Steve,

I searched for a sticker and there is none. But, I do think I found two very small holes. One on top and one on bottom as I have the receiver standing on it's side with the transformer facing down. That puts the volumn pot on the very top below the tuner knob. Looking at the V pot the holes are hard to see and look smaller then the Deoxit tube. It may be hard to snake in there because there is a piece of tape holding a few small wires right smack dab in the way. I'll figure out something. Maybe I can find a smaller tube that came with some other spray can of something. I've never used those tubes before anyway.

First, I need to go and hit what I've already done with the Deoxit Gold. I was going to wait until I did the cleaning first but at the rate I'm going I guess I better luber er up now.

Any ideas on how to clean up some of the boards to make look like they are some sort of green again?

Very interesting and timely thread. I recently purchased an SX 680 off the Bay which was also advertised as top notch and tech serviced. Shoot, the seller was a super seller with a 98-something approval rating, so I figured I'm good to go. Anyway, I nearly freaked the first time I took the lid off. Filthy! Receiver worked fine, but needed some serious Deoxit sessions. I still have some more cleaning to do, but the switches operate smoothly again and the exterior looks like new. Thank goodness I did a search on cleaning here yesterday and discovered that you want to keep all liquids away from the tuning section.
So, for the $30.00 I paid, I’m pleased and on my way to piecing together my first vintage system. This forum has been a blessing and its nice to see that although some of us are newbies to this hobby, we are by no means alone.
Guess the old saying of “buyer, beware, is still a good one.:thmbsp:

Hi Steve,

I searched for a sticker and there is none. But, I do think I found two very small holes. One on top and one on bottom as I have the receiver standing on it's side with the transformer facing down. That puts the volumn pot on the very top below the tuner knob. Looking at the V pot the holes are hard to see and look smaller then the Deoxit tube. It may be hard to snake in there because there is a piece of tape holding a few small wires right smack dab in the way. I'll figure out something. Maybe I can find a smaller tube that came with some other spray can of something. I've never used those tubes before anyway.
Any ideas on how to clean up some of the boards to make look like they are some sort of green again?
Hey Ed.
I guess that is a different Volume pot than Im used to cleaning I would have to see a picture of it,some of them you can bend 2 little tabs back and remove a cover but like I said I would have to see it first.
As far as cleaning the Boards they do make a cleaner but I have been buying what is called MASS Air flow cleaner from the auto store for much cheaper and it is safe for Electronics.Im guessing that you dont have a Air Compressor because that helps alot as I dont like to let any cleaner sit on the Boards because it seems to soften the green protective coating so what ever you use be sure to get it dried up.
I have heard of some crazy cleaning techniques even water which I wouldnt ever do but you can do a search.
As a worst case I have sprayed a cleaner on and then used a small brush and compressed air,having things spotless inside is nice but dont overdue it as you had seen the unit worked with all of that crap in there so it will be much better off with what you have done so far.
As far as my SX-1250 that arrived it needs alot of cleaning and it didnt work properly but there is a post about it in the Pioneer section.
Steve

Yeah, I think with the boards, I'll just, as carefully as I can, wipe them with a soft barely damp cloth just enough to get the dust off best I can and leave it at that. The receiver, except for the itchy-scratchy, worked real nice and sounded great. Might as well leave it be. I'm sure it has to be better. I'll see now that the wifes home if I can shoot a pic of the V-pot. She may be able to hold the wire Harness back for me to get the camera in there.

Be back shortly.

Very interesting and timely thread. I recently purchased an SX 680 off the Bay which was also advertised as top notch and tech serviced. Shoot, the seller was a super seller with a 98-something approval rating, so I figured I'm good to go. Anyway, I nearly freaked the first time I took the lid off. Filthy! Receiver worked fine, but needed some serious Deoxit sessions. I still have some more cleaning to do, but the switches operate smoothly again and the exterior looks like new. Thank goodness I did a search on cleaning here yesterday and discovered that you want to keep all liquids away from the tuning section.
So, for the $30.00 I paid, I’m pleased and on my way to piecing together my first vintage system. This forum has been a blessing and its nice to see that although some of us are newbies to this hobby, we are by no means alone.
Guess the old saying of “buyer, beware, is still a good one.:thmbsp:

I love those "80" series receivers. Hey, If I can do a deoxit, any body can, just ask Stevesmullen. He knows I'm a tecnoidiot :thmbsp: I've been in audio most of my life but I've never worked on any of it. I always left that to the technicains. Unfortunately, there isn't any in this area and I'll never send another reciver anywhere ever again, in this lifetime or any other. Especially a SX-1980 :tears:

If you look right behind that little orange dohicky, that's the volumn pot.Those 2 brown circles are nor holes. I can't get no access through them. I wish I would have moved that white wire. There is a small hole beind that wire on the top side and the bottom side of that pot. There is also a Pot right by my wifes thumb. Ya see that green wire. Is that the hole, just above and below the green wire where I shoot the deoxit? All the other pots look just like that.

Attachments

• sx980inards 005.jpg
    sx980inards 005.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 138
If you look right behind that little orange dohicky, that's the volumn pot.Those 2 brown circles are nor holes. I can't get no access through them. I wish I would have moved that white wire. There is a small hole beind that wire on the top side and the bottom side of that pot. There is also a Pot right by my wifes thumb. Ya see that green wire. Is that the hole, just above and below the green wire where I shoot the deoxit? All the other pots look just like that.

Hey Ed.
I havent seen that style pot before,you may want to post in the Pioneer section as Im sure that someone there has done a SX-980 or something with that style pot.
Be sure to post the pic as well,you may have to pull that board back a little which is really easy to do at this point just undo a few more screws on the front it is obvious as to which ones hold the board on and there maybe a nut on a post to undo also but you might just answer your own question.
Be careful of the wires as they are old but you should be able to get it to move back enough to roll the shafts up and out of the face sometimes it makes it easier if you also take the screws out of the power switch and set it aside a little.
This is never ending is it.:scratch2:
But just think that you are learning on the SX-980 so that in 5 or 10 years you can do the SX-1980 if you need to.
Steve

Hey Ed.
I havent seen that style pot before,you may want to post in the Pioneer section as Im sure that someone there has done a SX-980 or something with that style pot.
Be sure to post the pic as well,you may have to pull that board back a little which is really easy to do at this point just undo a few more screws on the front it is obvious as to which ones hold the board on and there maybe a nut on a post to undo also but you might just answer your own question.
Be careful of the wires as they are old but you should be able to get it to move back enough to roll the shafts up and out of the face sometimes it makes it easier if you also take the screws out of the power switch and set it aside a little.
This is never ending is it.:scratch2:
But just think that you are learning on the SX-980 so that in 5 or 10 years you can do the SX-1980 if you need to.
Steve

I just looked it over,the board comes out real easy, 2 screws is all. I think just the nut on the front of the volumn knob and I can even move that back enough to access those 2 small holes jst enough to gain access to get the deoxit in there. I think first I may go ahead and do the post over in the P forum and see if anyone had seen that type od Pot and how to squirt it.

I'll let ya know how it works out.

I hope the 1980 out lasts me. Like I was saying in another forum, I'll never ship another receiver as long as I live. I'll hock the house first and find a tech to come here!!!. Hell, I'll buy you a round trip ticket :thmbsp: You could come during Hunting season and kill a deer or two. Right out my bathroom window :yes:

Oldie but goodie thread here - this was very helpful for me to clean the pots on my Pioneer SX-980. I wanted to add some clarity and few photos for others needing to do the same.

To do the job, you need to remove the wood case, the bottom panel and the front panel on this model to properly access the switches and pots for cleaning. As noted in this thread or the links, once the front is removed all the up/down toggle switches can be cleaned with a shot of Deoxit from the front in the up position. You can access the volume and balance pot from behind and the bottom with the unit on it's side. You can get your Deoxit spray straw in the holes in the switches noted from the bottom side and above the lower board. You will see in the photo that I removed the board for the bass and treble as it's enclosed in a box and this is the only way to get the switches cleaned. Remove the screw on nuts and the one screw for the toggle switch from the front and it pulls right out. From the front of the switches, spray your Deoxit in holes and move them back and forth or side to side many times as noted.

While this one was apart, it was totally detailed inside, blew out and brushed all boards, cleaned chassis, cleaned and Flitz polished the face and glass and ultrasonic cleaned all the knobs. Working and looking like new again!

Thanks for the link and hope this helps a bit more for this model that isn't the easiest to access for switch cleaning. IMG_7084.JPGIMG_7092.JPG

Back
Top Bottom