Cleaning RCA inputs

I use thin strips of fine scotchbrite to remove external oxidation and Either q-tips or pipecleaners soaked with deoxit for the interiorof the jacks.

I've seen this suggestion on here before.
A mascara brush.
Either spray some contact cleaner inside the RCA or on the brush and scrub the inside.
I use a toothbrush with some contact cleaner for the external.

You can use an RCA connector too.

Just spray the plug with DeOxit, insert it, then rotate it in the socket. It will scrape the oxidation off of the jack on the outside shell and on the inside contact.

The right way is to use a piece of fuel line hose, cover the end with old cotton t-shirt cloth and put a small amount of Simi-chrome on the end. Cover RCA jack by pushing tube with cloth over the jack and rotate back and fourth. Wipe jack off to remove Simichrome residue.
If you have gold plated jacks skip the Simichrome as it may remove the thin plating. Just use de-oxit on the cotton cloth. The advantage of this is that you can totally clean very closely spaced jacks.

Thanks,
Ron-C

I just peel half the cotton off a q-tip and deoxit the snot out of inside and out, let set and wipe clean.

It's a good idea, I've been shocked by how much black oxidation can be in there. Clean out your speaker's fuse holders too.

I've seen this suggestion on here before.
A mascara brush.
Either spray some contact cleaner inside the RCA or on the brush and scrub the inside.
I use a toothbrush with some contact cleaner for the external.

This works for me + I usually follow-up with with the Gold (D6 I think).

I've tried several diff methods and have settled on the venerable Dremel tool, using polishing tips with a bit of polishing compound on there.
I don't know if it's necessary, but I then polish (still with Dremel) with clean tips I keep just for this purpose.

I use a deep 1/4" drive socket in my cordless drill with a heavy rag with some polish on it for the outside. Just push over the female socket and run the drill at low speed. I think the size I use is 11/32. For the inside I use pipe cleaners and deoxit. really makes even the real bad ones shine.

Back
Top Bottom