1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning SX-1250 RCA Connector Question

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by 70'sMusic, Aug 1, 2018.

1. 70'sMusic

70'sMusic Active Member

Hi Everyone,

Been loving my newly acquired SX-1250 and want to clean the RCA connectors. There is something on the outside of the RCA connectors. I used very fine steel wool along with DeoxIT to clean the metal "jumpers" to get what looked like rust off of them. Don't know if it's dust that has settled over the years but after cleaning the outside of the RCA's with DeoxIT, it is better but still present. Will using fine steel wool on the outside of the connectors cause any damage to them?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. restorer-john

restorer-john Addicted Member

Yes, the steel wool will wreck the plating totally and it will rust.

The way I do it is with a nut driver which is slightly larger in diameter than the RCA outer. I then cut a small square of felt (a few mm thick maybe ~40mm square) and push it over the RCA socket. Find the socket that suits your felt thickness and the spacing. Put some metal polish (a small amount of maguiars or mothers) on the felt on the sides and then spin it at a low speed on your cordless drill- pushing gently on the socket- it will wrap right around and cover the entire outer of the RCA.

Basically it makes a felt-lined firm-fit socket with polishing compound on it.

sockets.JPG
    like these above.

It will polish them to an as-new shine with minimal effort and no damage to the metal back plate as the felt hangs over the edges of the socket and prevents the metal touching the panel.

Just change your bit of felt regularly.

You can do the same with the RCA plates removed from the chassis to get that little bit deeper, right to the base.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    kvining, qguy and TaddNOhio like this.
  3. TaddNOhio

TaddNOhio AK Subscriber Subscriber

GREAT TIP !!! Thanks John for sharing

4. kevzep

kevzep Its all about the Music Subscriber

Thats a great idea!! nice one...:thumbsup:

5. 70'sMusic

70'sMusic Active Member

Thank you restorer-john, I really appreciate it!

6. 70'sMusic

70'sMusic Active Member

Hi Restorer-John,

OK, I've got the felt and the nut drivers for my drill. Just having a hard time finding metal cleaner. So far all I'm finding is Brasso and Tarnex. Will not touch Tarnex but used Brasso in the military. The Brasso can doesn't list silver as one of the metals it cleans. Will keep you posted my friend, almost there...

7. 70'sMusic

70'sMusic Active Member

Great news, found it. Gotta go to my local auto store.

8. restorer-john

restorer-john Addicted Member

Report back and show us a few pics of before and afters. Remember, slow speed until you get the hang of it... :)

Any stray polishing compound that gets into the hole of the RCA can be cleaned of with a q-tip. You don't need much at all, just a tiny bit.

9. 70'sMusic

70'sMusic Active Member

Hi restorer-john, will do. Won't get to it until the weekend. Armed and ready to go!

Attached Files:

10. slipstream55

slipstream55 Active Member

Save you a lot of time and expense...MAAS Metal Polish, a rag and a little elbow grease. Works great for the RCA jacks.

70'sMusic likes this.
  11. 70'sMusic

70'sMusic Active Member

Thank you slipstream55!

12. 70'sMusic

70'sMusic Active Member

Hi Everyone,

Well, my cleaning project turned out well with one exception. I used restorer-john's method and it worked great. But, on two RCA connectors the felt went into the socket a tab bit to far and I had some metal-to-metal contact. Nothing damaged or dangerous but given my receiver's condition I hate that it happened. Was able to remove most of what was there but will have to take the RCA connectors out to thoroughly clean the jacks at their base. Photos are attached. THANK YOU everyone for your help, I truly appreciate it!

Attached Files: